Purchased my first Nikkor 2.8 lens!

Youthman

• Moderators
I try to tune my zooms at the focal length that I use them most regularly.

That's what I read as a suggestion as well. Seems other agree with you that it's much easier to AF Fine Tune a prime lens than a zoom lens.

• Moderators
I really did miss taking pictures, but I got back in just in time to get many pic's of the grandkids.

That's one thing I love about digital....I have thousands of family photos to help preserve the many memories we experience together. You just have to make sure you back them up.

Forgot to tell you GREAT price on the 7000, you would have had to be nuts not to jump on that deal.

I agree. Typically I try and sell before I replace but this was a case of replace, then sell. LOL Not sure how soon you are looking to purchase a D7000 but there is one local to me for $500 and it includes a Battery Grip for $500. If interested, shoot me a PM and I'll contact the seller for you and we can work out shipping details.

• Moderators

Good tip Max, I need to try that, thanks.

I do notice when on a tripod and focus manually it is slightly different, better to actually get exactly what you want in focus. When I first got this camera I never trusted autofocus never have it before and always did it manually, and was probably better off.

For quick pic's and moving subjects I don't know how I was able to keep up back then, practice I guess since there was no autofocus you had no choice.

Good tip Max, I need to try that, thanks.

I do notice when on a tripod and focus manually it is slightly different, better to actually get exactly what you want in focus. When I first got this camera I never trusted autofocus never have it before and always did it manually, and was probably better off.

For quick pic's and moving subjects I don't know how I was able to keep up back then, practice I guess since there was no autofocus you had no choice.

Thanks. I picked it up from a Photo website a few years back when I was really in to photography. The thing is, it works! You know exactly how much fore or aft your lens and the auto focus is compensating for. No way I can manual focus. My eyes are too bad and I have some serious crops that are way too unforgiving.

• Moderators
Not sure how soon you are looking to purchase a D7000 but there is one local to me for $500 and it includes a Battery Grip for $500. If interested, shoot me a PM and I'll contact the seller for you and we can work out shipping details.

You had my hamster wheel turning for a little while before thinking I better not. :( I told the wife and she said if you want it, then my conscious regained control.

If I keep spending money on things I will never get to build my new workshop which is needed extremely bad, I now have all my woodworking tools jammed into a space so tight they have to be taken out to be used.

Thanks for the offer that's a great deal

• Moderators

Here is the same suggestion from the Nikon website. Unfortunately, the D7000 is the lowest model in the Nikon cameras that has the AF Fine Tune. So with your D80, if your AF is off, the only fix is to use manual focus.

That's ok, I could still check it to see what it's doing at least.

About 2 years ago while on a cruise the camera started acting up but still working. when we got back my wife said we did buy the extended warranty see what the expiration date is. the next day I checked and it had less than two weeks left on a 5 year plan. Called them up and they sure bring it in, they set it to Nikon and after a few weeks it came back with a list of everything done and one was autofocus adjustment.

So it might not that bad ? I really try to take care of it but it has been on 6 cruises, other vacations, and everywhere I have been and a lot just around here so I can't complain at all. I already have more than my moneys worth with this camera body. But when it dies it will be replaced with at least the 7000, I am not going without a camera again.

• Moderators
That's one thing I love about digital....I have thousands of family photos to help preserve the many memories we experience together. You just have to make sure you back them up.

That's one of the reasons I will keep a camera from now on. It's a pain to look through all the old photo albums and boxes of pictures and slides from years ago. And digital is cheap and easy to store many pictures, maby a little loss in quality but it make up for that many times over with convience. imo

I now put them on CD's and DVD's and have external hard drive, it's 1 terabyte, just looked at it and it says 716 gb free of 931 and it has 23,146 pictures on it.

• Moderators
Thanks for the offer that's a great deal

Anytime. ;)

Thanks

It was Very Very hard to say no to that offer, still can't get it out of my head.........I need to look in the workshop, that will help.

Edited by dtel

• Moderators
It was Very Very hard to say no to that offer, still can't get it out of my head.........I need to look in the workshop, that will help.

Better yet, go look at your workshop and then take a picture of it with your D80, print it off and tape it to your computer monitor. :P That way, when the temptation arises again, you can stay focused. :D

It's a pain to look through all the old photo albums and boxes of pictures and slides from years ago.

I know what you mean. The other day, we needed to locate a specific photo from from a specific event from 2013. My wife remembered the month and the year of the event and I was able to locate the photo on my computer in less than 1 minute since I have them all organized into Year, Month and Name of Event.

• Moderators

Seems like some very practical tips in that article.

I took my first outdoor photos with the new lens. My wife recently planted some very colorful flowers so I thought I would start with that. It's not a macro lens but I love the colors and the bokeh is very smooth.

Flower1.jpg

Flower2.jpg

Flower3.jpg

• Moderators

I remember that feeling, then I realized that was only a stepping stone to my first Zeiss prime.

:)

Buying prime lenses is like a gateway drug. I got my first Zeiss this year, 50mm. :emotion-25: :emotion-25: :emotion-25:

• Moderators

You are the second one that has mentioned the Zeiss. I've never heard of them. Do they make them for nikon lenses?

Carl Zeiss, German. They've been around a long time. The lenses are things of beauty, sharp as a tack. Gorgeous glass, and heavy. Only downside is lack of auto-focus for many OEM models, but I'm ok with that most days. Until my eyes start to go, ha.

After Christmas, I was stocked up with Amazon gift cards, so I splurged. :) Otherwise, I probably wouldn't drop that kind of cash.

All my other lenses are Canon, except my 70mm-300mm, which is a Tamron (with image stabilization). I'm very happy with that one for the price. I take most of my wildlife shots with it:

tumblr_mzb53g7giR1sk6o82o1_500.jpg

• Like 1

How can you say the 17-55 was your first f/2.8 lens you bought when you were holding that 70-200 f/2.8 in your hands? I bought a BNIB copy of that one once (about a year before they released the MK II). I paid $1800 after tax... Skip the AF issues and just practice your MF skills ;)

Zeiss are nice. I also like the the Voigtlander SLII lenses for nikon mount. All MF (with a superb focus ring), but lovely bokeh and color.