Very OT question for you car guys.....

Mighty Favog

I've had this question in the back of my noodle for a few years but have never really asked it. But 2-days ago when I was driving home from my chiropractic appointment, in front of me at traffic light was a white 2013 Shelby GT500 in full dress. The noise from that thing was incredable, enough for me to turn off my radio to enjoy it. He never nailed the throttle but I could see him getting used to a grabbing clutch.

So, my question is, do you know of any COMPLETELY FACTORY muscle car that would pull the front wheels into a wheely for a respectable distance?? I'm not talking that little jump you can do by side-stepping the clutch on your riding lawn mower, But a good 10-20 ft. maybe.

Oh, one big note here: It had to be on factory tires.

EDIT: and still be street legal.

Edited by Mighty Favog

Good question!

The way they set them up to torque transfer everything to the rear wheels( on rear wheel drives) they hardly have a chance to rear up like a horse. And the front wheeler drives, no way of course. But I am probably wrong. Some creative types will sometime buck the mold.

So front wheels up maybe but hardly a classic wheelie.

Edited by billybob

No stock vehicle will lift the front wheels on stock tires, they will spin before that will happen. If slicks are used on a sticky drag strip that Shelby could probably lift the front briefly using an aggresive launch.

• Like 1

Some muscle cars come with decent wide rear wheels but are radial type. It would be fun to try :) Corvette, Viper,etc

It's that lowend torque thing out of the hole, as they called it back then. Maybe a couple of inches thingy.

Standard transmission would help.

Edited by billybob

A Shelby Mustang could...maybe.

Nope, nothing street legal stock will.

Roger

Have you tried? Guessing you can get standard transmission nowadays but...alright then.

Edited by billybob

x3 or 4. no factory stock car will do a wheelie, probably not even a one tire lift. as stated all american muscle cars just dont have the power, tires, or suspension to do a real wheelie. & the foreign exotic supercars are totally not made for drag racing, they are so low to the ground & made to handle in corners that they will not pull the front tires.

heck i have a friend with a 600hp tubbed drag car that can barely pull the one front tire at the track. but most of that is by design, the suspension is set up to launch the car straight & fast, pulling a wheelie is transfering power to lift the nose & loosing some of the forward motion that a drag car wants for fastest elapsed times.

so i would say absolutely no way any street legal factory car will do a wheelie. & a large majority of the hot rods you see on teh street cant do one either... depsite what you see in too fast too furious movies!

Roger

Have you tried? Guessing you can get standard transmission nowadays but...alright then.

Have you seen my avatar?? That is MY all aluminum 427 SOHC FORD. I am Ford as they come and there is nothing on the lot I haven't driven Ford.

Roger

• Like 1

Roger

Have you seen my avatar?? That is MY all aluminum 427 SOHC FORD. I am Ford as they come and there is nothing on the lot I haven't driven Ford.

Roger

Yes I did see avatar. Heck of a block on that 427. Coming from a GM guy, that is praise. As said earlier, I am probably wrong but, the fun is in trying to lift even 1 inch.

My brother had a stock 265 then 283 55 stocker that he used to blow the doors of of 441,426,427's and 289 in the 60's so, without getting into a GM versus Ford thing. The driver is what counts. That said, yes, it is hard to defy physic and gravity. Some would say impossible. Thanks for your feedback.

• Like 2

do you know of any COMPLETELY FACTORY muscle car that would pull the front wheels into a wheely

I doubt it. Old muscle cars (pre-72)mostly had big block engines. They were too front end heavy to pull the wheels off the ground without fiberglass front ends, weight mods and slicks. A proper Porsche might have a chance due to the weight distribution (40/60).

• Like 1

I heard a stock Porsche 911 Turbo would pull the front wheels off the ground

I've driven 930's that felt like that was happening but I couldn't see the wheels from the drivers seat. All the weight is in the rear on those so they have an advantage built in. More traction at the rear wheels, lighter front end. Of course they handle like you're driving a sledge hammer. NEVER lift throttle in a corner unless you're trying to do a 180.