plastic nubby things

muel

What is it with the plastic nubby things that are supposed to hold CD's in the jewel case? Why have they not come up with anything better? I'm not an engineer and don't really have any good ideas on the subject... I just think this is something someone would have improved on by now.

And why is it that these are often broken when you buy a new CD and not even all the pieces are in the case which means that it was broken when it was inserted the first time and not during shipping?

I'm going to stop before I sound any more like Andy Rooney.

But still... I'm just curious. Perhaps I'll just see about a mint julep and I'll forget about it.

• Like 1

The thing that kills me is USB plugs. What simple **** designed those? They won't go in upside down, and half the time they don't go in right side up because you don't have them perfectly lined up. Then you flilp them over again because you think they are upside down. Stupid! Hate those things.

And to think, it has been the major connection method for everything from peripherals for decades. How in the heck did we ever land on the moon???

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

What is it with the plastic nubby things that are supposed to hold CD's in the jewel case? Why have they not come up with anything better? I'm not an engineer and don't really have any good ideas on the subject... I just think this is something someone would have improved on by now.

And why is it that these are often broken when you buy a new CD and not even all the pieces are in the case which means that it was broken when it was inserted the first time and not during shipping?

I'm going to stop before I sound any more like Andy Rooney.

But still... I'm just curious. Perhaps I'll just see about a mint julep and I'll forget about it.

I've purchased a couple thousand CDs and have never had one broke before. Maybe I'm lucky!

And to think that the guidance computer for the Apollo missions only had 32kb of fixed memory.

What does that amount to today? A fraction of a second of music?

What if code and operating systems were that efficient today?

Some of my CD's would still be falling out of the case. No matter... I rip them to FLAC with Exact Audio Copy and put them back on the shelf.

These are the Cadillac of CD covers: http://www.mofi.com/product_p/amfllc.htm

The older style CD cases with the gray inserts usually don't break the tines as the gray inserts are made of a less brittle plastic. The newer CD cases with clear inserts are so brittle the tines break with a few uses or from being shipped. At least they're "real" CD cases and not the tree-hugger cardboard sleeves that scratch the disc every time it's accessed.