JBL 2445 vs P. audio BMD 750 Series II

Claude, upgrading the woofers is another plan.

Let's say sell the faitals for 500-550 maybe I don't know what the used rate is.

Purchase 2 ev dh1 for roughly 200 with shipping. That leaves approximately 300 towards the eminence drivers you recommend.

I sold my Faital drivers, and I am going all EVDH1A drivers for my 2360 horns, and EV horns.... I might even look for more JBL horns and just run JBL horns with EV drivers if I like the sound of them over the EV horns.

You need to give those a try and let me know what you think, however I will warn you if you set up your system you never get your room done as you will spend too much sitting around listening to music like me.

At those prices I may purchase one my self and give it a try.

My only problem is I need to find the 6 ohm ones which are a little harder to find. Hopefully next month I will have some more cash to buy 3 more of the drivers, and maybe 3 more JBL horns too. I have a goal of having the theater up and running by July (just waiting on the cash to get it done now). Up and running doesn't mean that the room will be tuned though, but hopefully the speakers will be tuned with the minidsps as active crossovers. :)

6 ohm ones

I didn't know they make a 6 ohm , I could only find info on the 8 and 16 ohm. A 8 ohm driver might measure 6 ohm.

I think the 6 ohm ones are the older ones... Not sure but I have 2 of them so far. :) I need the 6 ohm ones because they will sound better with my "T" chip amps which will be driving the horns.

Here is one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRO-VOICE-EV-DH1A-HF-COMPRESSION-DRIVER-8OHM-TESTED-WORKING-LC-TUBE-621/301168940965?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22592%26meid%3D6791045742793761267%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D9790%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D251518501939

Edited by ellisr63

I think the 6 ohm ones are the older ones... Not sure but I have 2 of them so far. I need the 6 ohm ones because they will sound better with my "T" chip amps which will be driving the horns. Here is one... http://www.ebay.com/...sd=251518501939

They are all "older ones." You know you are getting the original EV diaphragm when they say "6 ohms minimum" on them. Those are the good ones. Mine were tested in the Klipsch anechoic chamber in Indy back in 2008 by Roy Delgado himself. He told me that driver was a very good one. It's also the driver used in the Klipsch Hope anechoic chamber by John Pope in the 80's PHD Thesis to convince Paul Klipsch that Tractrix horns were better than Exponential. After that, all new horn designs from Klipsch were tractrix variations. The EV DH1A was the driver used.

• Like 1

When attached to the motorboard, the added air mass lowers

This had me thinking too, does this happen to every horn, and could this be a good thing since in a way it lowers the Fc. I don't think you could do this with the JBL as it has a weird lip. But with the EV hp640 you could mount it like the K400, If all of this is true, how much would it help the sound with this horn when mounting to a motor board.

I have 3 HP 640's in my Garage for cheap if you need them.

Duder, yes I have played with both the EV HP640 and JBL 2360 (bith with the JBL 2446 driver). The can both sound good when crossed high enough. The EV is narrower in dispersion and will not control vertical dispersion until about 2000 Hz or so (the JBL controls to a lower frequency) and that will be part of the equation.

I ended up preferring the EV HP 640. In my application (two-way crossed at about 500 Hz). I ultimately ended up preferring the Klipsch K-510 (the little guy). Things changed when got the Klipsch K-402 (the big guy). That was the final winner overall. It has been a journey.....

Let me add: the issue about the horn is important, more important than the driver (if it has sufficient bandwidth). However the differences may be obscurred depending on the room (dispersion is less of an issue in a larger room, higher ceiling). It will also be obscurred if the crossovers are not set with care (and that can be tiresome task and does require measuremnt equipment).

Good luck,

-Tom

BTW, the EV HP 640 is a real bargain if money is tight. I have an extra pair if someone wants to try them.

Tom, I agree with everything you have said here. I have 3 HP640's, So someone could do 5.1 with those and 5 EV DH1A's crossed at 500 hz.

• Like 1

Things changed when got the Klipsch K-402 (the big guy)

I probably should just save for a pair.

You should. You will do it eventually anyhow, so why not skip all the in-between steps and get right to the top of the mountain.

• Like 1

Things changed when got the Klipsch K-402 (the big guy)

I probably should just save for a pair.

You should. You will do it eventually anyhow, so why not skip all the in-between steps and get right to the top of the mountain.

Well said! Look at all the time and effort we just saved the OP (insert smiley face here)

• Like 1

Well in a since we still have a question in the, not really I guess. But here is the scenario, I purchase K402s which come with the K69. But wait I still have the Faital drivers, so do I a sell the Faitals to recoup some of the money or sell the K69s. I guess I will just have to purchase a pair and see if I am happy with the K69, but wait there is more, maybe the JLB 2446 is better then the Faital and the K69. What really is better, I guess this goes back to me be ok with the stock Klipsch sound. Now I know the stock Klipsch sound I like is the good K-55-v, and K-77. Which is different then the K69, so I guess I will have to wait and see. Or wait I know I can mount a K69 driver I have downstairs to the EV horn and see how it sounds, if I like it I could sell the Faitals to help get to K402s quicker, now we're thinking.

One last note, I want to thank you guys from keeping me from spending money now that I know I would end up regretting. B)

Duder, who said we were done spending your money?

A comment on a couple of points you made. The K-69 will probably have little re-sale value. The JBL 2446 will sound better than the K-69, however the K-69 does not sound bad. It is actually a decent driver.

Well in a since we still have a question in the, not really I guess. But here is the scenario, I purchase K402s which come with the K69. But wait I still have the Faital drivers, so do I a sell the Faitals to recoup some of the money or sell the K69s. I guess I will just have to purchase a pair and see if I am happy with the K69, but wait there is more, maybe the JLB 2446 is better then the Faital and the K69. What really is better, I guess this goes back to me be ok with the stock Klipsch sound. Now I know the stock Klipsch sound I like is the good K-55-v, and K-77. Which is different then the K69, so I guess I will have to wait and see. Or wait I know I can mount a K69 driver I have downstairs to the EV horn and see how it sounds, if I like it I could sell the Faitals to help get to K402s quicker, now we're thinking.

One last note, I want to thank you guys from keeping me from spending money now that I know I would end up regretting. B)

I think the Faital 2" driver is a good one, but the company are dorks when it comes to selling a 2" adapter for their 1.4 inch driver, which is exactly the same as the 2", which comes with an adapter. You can get 1.4 to 2" adapters on Ebay, so I think the Faital will kick the K-69's butt with a lot less PEQ and give anything JBL makes a run for it's money. Ask Bob Crites, he uses a Faital Pro driver on his Jubilees with K-402's. He's a nice guy and I'm sure he would talk to you about it.

Bob, is one of the reasons I purchased the Faitals, with what you saying it will be some experimenting to verify which one I like. Wonder how much more eq they will need, I will have to run some test.

Tom, going with K 402s will get me one step closer to actually owning Jubilees, so you are right your not done spending my money.

Bob, is one of the reasons I purchased the Faitals, with what you saying it will be some experimenting to verify which one I like. Wonder how much more eq they will need, I will have to run some test.

Tom, going with K 402s will get me one step closer to actually owning Jubilees, so you are right your not done spending my money.

I think you'll be happy with Jamborees and crossing the K402's at 400-500 Hz. with Faitals. All you would need is Kappa 15C's to get the 5-7 db higher output in that range vs. the K33's. If you PM me the plans I can model it in Hornresp for you if you like.

I think you'll be happy with Jamborees and crossing the K402's at 400-500 Hz. with Faitals. All you would need is Kappa 15C's to get the 5-7 db higher output in that range vs. the K33's. If you PM me the plans I can model it in Hornresp for you if you like.

OK, so I did a quick Hornresp model of the Jamboree with 3x13 throats with the K33's VS the 6x13 throats with the Eminence Kappa 15C. Both were done with the woofers connecte in series for about 8 ohms impedance. As you can see from the curves you get tons more midrange out of it to easily cross at 500 Hz. with a passive and no PEQ. I used a .5 PI loading, so corner placement is assumed for both.

post-20774-0-45360000-1399839354_thumb.j

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Thanks for doing that.

One of the things I think of is when you look at some thing from Hornresp, and what you actually measure isn't the same. However if I put a good passive at 500 hz, it probably will sound good anyways. I currently have my crossover set to 530hz with a 24db slope, it has a good strait line and sounds wonderful. I don't know how much would change 30 hz down but I can always try and listen.

I can see the big difference between the 2 drivers you posted, I wish I would have known about those drivers before I purchased a second used set of k-33s. But I now know what to upgrade to .