Chorus II's Vs. KLF-30's

JKARAS1

I have read you knocking the chorus ii youthman and have to suggest the pair you had were faulty somewhere within.

I'm not sure where you are seeing that I'm knocking the Chorus II. I have yet to own a pair of Klipsch speakers (and I've owned my share) that I did not enjoy.....none. I even tried out a few pair of B&W but eventually came back to what my ears like the best....Klipsch.

I think Vital has a point that room probably has a lot to do with it. When I had the Chorus II in my living room, the Chorus II definitely did not have the "slam" you are referring to. This could be due to the fact that the room is 15' x 25' and the Chorus II were on the long wall in the middle so there are no corners to enhance the bass (corner loading). In the HT, in order to compare two speakers side by side, I had to pull them in front of the false wall so again, the speakers are only getting boundary gain from the side wall since they are now pulled out away from the front wall by about 3'.

So in my HT, the KLF-30 had MUCH more slam than the Chorus II ever did. The midrange was indeed better on the Chorus II. Both had amazing clarity in the highs.

I cannot comment on how the Chorus II sound corner loaded. To the OP, can you post a pic of your front wall so we can see how you have your Chorus II setup? Maybe he has a similar setup to what I did or maybe they are too close or too far from the wall (as Jason mentioned).

I like you bro! Just enjoying a debate here about situations on the chorus ii and in this thread compared to the klf30. I too have ran a large range b&w equipment as well as so many others...Klipsch is it! I love 3 ways and between the chorus ii and klf30 i can only say in my opinion that bass slam is very prominent in both although the chorus ii brings it without a sub so much easier. You ran in theater mode as well it seems and when testing i ran 2 ch specifically and theater as secondary use/testing...

To each their own in opinion. In the line of command minus pro klipsch i would go belle, lascala, chorus ii, chorus, cornwall, klf30 then to the rest into reference,kg etc...and so on...Im not a big khorn fan and please dont get me wrong its a king speaker I just prefer simple setup so i can move when i want into new towns or areas with ease of position and setup etc no corner hunting...

cheers to all!!

How would the KLF-30's stack up against a pair of Chorus I's? This is probably a better comparison since neither speaker has the passive radiator.

I would compare the chorus to a cornwall more so and still prefer the original chorus over a klf30 near as much as my preference of the chorus ii to the klf30. I would suggest making a trip finding somewhere that has both or 1 of each to make your own comparison...

• Like 1

Did we lose the OP? :D

He's reading :) just a bit startled at the debate :D

Blessings op! Dont get rid of your chorus 2... i suggest making a direct comparison of both...everybody has their own preference. Myself the 15 in the chorus ii drives it home with the so little ease. Good comparison although chorus ii imo is a keeper...although if you are still looking a trial of the klf30 may take to your liking :)

• Like 1

• Moderators
I like you bro! Just enjoying a debate here about situations on the chorus ii and in this thread compared to the klf30.

Glad we are still friends. :lol:

The great thing is Klipsch makes soooo many great speakers that there's bound to be one that meets everyone's needs and preferences.

Maybe one day I'll get the opportunity to hear Chorus II in a "normal" room.

You ran in theater mode as well it seems and when testing i ran 2 ch specifically and theater as secondary use/testing...

Actually, when I was doing my A/B testing, I was running in 2ch but it was in my HT. I also turn the RSW-15 off when testing so I can hear just what the pair of speakers are capable of.

He's reading :) just a bit startled at the debate :D

Don't be shy JKARAS, jump in with more questions. We are here to help. My guess is he does not have the email notification turned on so he might not know we are replying to his thread.

Folks, first of all I want to thank everyone who responded to this question, thank you very much for taking your time and effort to try and answer this question that I posed. Currently my system is located in the basement corner with unfinished cement walls. They are located about 6 inches from the wall and about 10 feet from each other and aligned to a focal point about 12' away. I use a Yamaha receiver with a Spectron-Musician II digital amplifier that puts out 550 watts per channel connected with AudioQuest Crystal cables. I have found that this amp is great at controlling the woofer speaker in the Chorus II speaker with it's over the top power, but also to keep it controlled as tight as that 15" speaker could be. When turned up and it happens quite often it could almost give you a back massage when sitting on the couch listening to this system play, (and yes I like my music loud sometimes). I also have a Klipsch self powered KSW-200 subwoofer connected to the system but don't always use it, because I don't think it keeps in time with the Chorus's.

I listen to mostly Rock, but also Club, Country and even at some remote times Classical. The problem occurs when I am playing at these loud levels, and normally with the Club Music at certain frequencies the Woofers don't seem to be as crisp or tight as I think it should be, that's where I think that maybe the KLF-30's may be the answer with their powered 12" speakers. I did not consider the midrange frequencies as some of you have mentioned about being a little harsh in respect to the Chorus's, but thought that since this was the next generation of Klipsch's largest brother speakers that it would only be better. I guess the only way to tell would be to buy the KLF's and give them a try at my house, because it won't be the same at the seller's house.

Thanks to all and I will still be monitoring this thread if you choose to add more.

Bottom line if you think you can get better then try the klf30. You could also look into updating your crossovers with Dean or Bob Crites both on this forum and highly regarded at this tedious procedure. Updated or to replace your networks will result in better sound by far.

The klf30 does not have a built in amplifier if that what you were referring to as you said "powered 12"....although the klf30 is bi wire able unlike the stock chorus ii...

Also I would definitely look into some treatment on them concrete walls...bare concrete walls will leave a very unstable production in any sound...

cheers and best to you...please update with any new results you unveil friend!!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think what he means by powered is they are "powered" by the amplifier versus a passive speaker that does not have a magnet and does not receive amplification. it moves based on the pressure built inside of the cabinet from the other woofer.

Typically we just refer to them as woofers and the passive as passives.

I'm not huge hard rock fan but I remember when I had the KLF30s I remember playing Enter Sandman by Metallica because I remember once hearing a demo of it and how pronounced the highs were and how strong that kick drum was. I thought it was pretty awesome with the KLF30s and later found out one of the Woofers had a crack in it and it still was impressive.

If you do buy them I would love to hear your thoughts on the comparison between the two speakers. Maybe I'm just deaf or maybe my room is horrible for the Chorus II.

See if you get a really good deal on the KLF30, then sell which ever speaker you like the least or keep them both (trust me it happens)

Regardless what you decide it's your ears your room and your money . But definitely keep us informed. I know I'm curious to hear what you find out

The 30's have slam for sure. I use them (with KLF-10's and C7) for HT. Have never had the chance to hear Chorus and they are probably great too, but can't comment. As with any speaker, the 30's will sound better with a better quality amp. I upgraded amp and pre/pro a little over a year ago and it made a big difference. No harshness in the mids and the bass is even better than before. Keep us updated on your progress!!

Folks, first of all I want to thank everyone who responded to this question, thank you very much for taking your time and effort to try and answer this question that I posed. Currently my system is located in the basement corner with unfinished cement walls. They are located about 6 inches from the wall and about 10 feet from each other and aligned to a focal point about 12' away. I use a Yamaha receiver with a Spectron-Musician II digital amplifier that puts out 550 watts per channel connected with AudioQuest Crystal cables. I have found that this amp is great at controlling the woofer speaker in the Chorus II speaker with it's over the top power, but also to keep it controlled as tight as that 15" speaker could be. When turned up and it happens quite often it could almost give you a back massage when sitting on the couch listening to this system play, (and yes I like my music loud sometimes). I also have a Klipsch self powered KSW-200 subwoofer connected to the system but don't always use it, because I don't think it keeps in time with the Chorus's.

I listen to mostly Rock, but also Club, Country and even at some remote times Classical. The problem occurs when I am playing at these loud levels, and normally with the Club Music at certain frequencies the Woofers don't seem to be as crisp or tight as I think it should be, that's where I think that maybe the KLF-30's may be the answer with their powered 12" speakers. I did not consider the midrange frequencies as some of you have mentioned about being a little harsh in respect to the Chorus's, but thought that since this was the next generation of Klipsch's largest brother speakers that it would only be better. I guess the only way to tell would be to buy the KLF's and give them a try at my house, because it won't be the same at the seller's house.

Thanks to all and I will still be monitoring this thread if you choose to add more.

Put the Chorus in the corners of the room about 12-16" out from the wall. 12" may be a little too close and make it boomy, if so just pull them out a few inches and try again. Toe them in towards the center of the room and aim them where your single central listening spot is. This should help in the bass dept.

• Like 1

Put the Chorus in the corners of the room about 12-16" out from the wall. 12" may be a little too close and make it boomy, if so just pull them out a few inches and try again. Toe them in towards the center of the room and aim them where your single central listening spot is. This should help in the bass dept.

I was thinking along the same line that room interaction may be the culprit. I have only heard the KLF 30 so I can't comment on which my have more slam.

Has anyone auditioned the Chorus 1's against the KLF-30's? Which speaker would give you more slam?

The Chorus 1's have 15 inch woofers while the KLF-30's have a pair of 12" woofers. I would probably think the KLF-30's would

be the better speaker in the bass department.

Has anyone auditioned the Chorus 1's against the KLF-30's? Which speaker would give you more slam?

The Chorus 1's have 15 inch woofers while the KLF-30's have a pair of 12" woofers. I would probably think the KLF-30's would

be the better speaker in the bass department.

The KLF30 has stronger and possibly better bass than many Klipsch home speakers except for the lowest registers (with good cabinets) and is room dependent. They will slam harder than any except k-horns though k-horns put out bass in a different way. They key to this whole thread is Chorus can typically work well with a moderate horsepower amplifier. The KLFs will require real current due to the dual 12" woofers. Very good high power class D such as Bel Canto Ref 1000 amps and they will come alive. They are both of comparable efficiency though it is how well the amp works with the woofers. Also another key is just as the k-horns need room to breath, KLF30s will need a large room to get what you paid for. The large room will allow the mids to sound appropriate compared to the bass, another thing k-horns and other horn speakers have issues with.

Don't you think it comes down to the speaker type you prefer???...I have heard and owned a lot of Klipsch speakers myself but I far prefer my Chorus IIs to my KG 5.5s (again a similar but different 2 way speaker to the KLFs)...but then I seem to prefer the Klipsch Heritage speakers (and extended Heritage) to the more modern tower types...of course I prefer the Chorus IIs to Cornwall as well...

Bill

• Like 1