Speaker Wire?

Cosmic_surfer

I had a question about speaker wire. My local craigslist has a 100 foot spool of monster cable wire xphp-c1 and the seller will sell it for $50. Does this seem like a good deal? Is this a good wire to run for my 7.1 rf-7 setup? What is the community consensus, and what would you recommend i look at for running/hiding these in my finished basement?

No. It is only $1 per foot new. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HtOCMRKEN2l/p_119XPHP50/Monster-XPHP-MKII-50-feet.html

You probably need more than 100 feet anyway for 7 speakers. Do some measuring then go to monoprice and get soem decent cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10239

The inwall stuff has a nice sheething.

This stuff has the clear wire casing with 2 different colored copper wires. I thought the behind the wall stuff had white opaque casing specially rated for fire safety? I am getting it for .50 a foot which is half off retail. Is there better quality than monster wire?

The wire you listed is rated for in wall use, it dosent matter what color the jacket is.

Monster wire is nothing special, its decent copper wire.

You could get cheaper wire but after you pay for shipping price would be near the same.

Well my priority is going to be wiring the 4 sattelites, I am lucky because 2 of them will be at most a 15 foot length of wire (going up a wall and then along the ceiling) the last 2 speakers are in my rear but are fairly close together, I plan on running both of their wires together and then splitting one off when I reach the first rear speaker.

I may end up using more than 100 ft, but maybe I will get lucky when wiring the 4. The lcr speakers and sub i plan on buying high end wire and plugs for ultimate connectivity.

Don't run one wire for two speakers. They need to be run on their own channel

That wasn't my intention, I will be running 2 wires separately but they will be run together and then one splitting off when I reach the first rear speaker.

• Like 1

The lcr speakers and sub i plan on buying high end wire and plugs for ultimate connectivity.
huge waste of money IMO. id buy a bulk roll of wire from mono price or parts express. just make sure its 100% copper. not coated stuff. as far as the fronts go you can get stuff that is nicely jacketed but its not gonna change anything. and i do prefer the banana plugs when i can use them. there is a guy on here names NEZFF, he makes custom cable for people and you can get a lot of different looks. maybe give him a shout. i followed his steps and made my own but have since taken them apart cause i needed the plugs for other speakers around the house.
  • Like 2

My preferred wire for the last few years has been Kord, american made and by the foot shipped to you door.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KRD10BL

That's what I got in 10 awg. I could not believe how inexpensive it was. The 10 awg was actually so big that I had to shave off a little to fit it in my RF-7s.

My run is long enough to benefit from 12 over 14 awg--I just got the 10 because it did not cost any extra. It was cheaper than every other company I looked at.

• Like 1

The lcr speakers and sub i plan on buying high end wire and plugs for ultimate connectivity.

huge waste of money IMO. id buy a bulk roll of wire from mono price or parts express. just make sure its 100% copper. not coated stuff. as far as the fronts go you can get stuff that is nicely jacketed but its not gonna change anything. and i do prefer the banana plugs when i can use them. there is a guy on here names NEZFF, he makes custom cable for people and you can get a lot of different looks. maybe give him a shout. i followed his steps and made my own but have since taken them apart cause i needed the plugs for other speakers around the house.

I contacted NEZFF a while ago and he wasn't doing this anymore. Maybe if you know him its a different story...

i dont know him. he must have stopped. they are really easy to make like his. just need a few things. kind of tedious (for me at least) but i liked the end product. only "nice" cables i have for speaker wire are the emotiva x series cables. i bought a few sets used and a few sets at emofest last year.

banana0101_1024x1024.jpg?v=1328115740

• Like 1

My preferred wire for the last few years has been Kord, american made and by the foot shipped to you door.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KRD10BL

That's what I got in 10 awg. I could not believe how inexpensive it was. The 10 awg was actually so big that I had to shave off a little to fit it in my RF-7s.

My run is long enough to benefit from 12 over 14 awg--I just got the 10 because it did not cost any extra. It was cheaper than every other company I looked at.

Couple years ago I was messing around in the living room, needed some wire, parts express came to mind, so I picked up 250', the crap would not even hold solder, I chewed them up one side and down the other, still have a $75 credit with them.

But that ticked me off so much so that I contacted every wire Mfg in the USA, and ask them to send me a sample, I ended up with at least 12 responses, with samples and pricing, hands down http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/speaker-wire/kord-speaker-wire/sp/kord-ultra-flex-10-gauge-speaker-wire/ was then and still is the purest fine strand among all of my samples, amazing they also have a great price shipped. 10Ga is my standard.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 4

I will have to order from knuconcept. I ended up not getting the 100 ft spool and tried to make my own banana plugs from some 10-12 gauge wire from the local schaefers. Ended up spending about $50 on two 6 ft lengths to power my 2 front speakers in the living room setup. The new speakers sound superb!

I will have to order from knuconcept. I ended up not getting the 100 ft spool and tried to make my own banana plugs from some 10-12 gauge wire from the local schaefers. Ended up spending about $50 on two 6 ft lengths to power my 2 front speakers in the living room setup. The new speakers sound superb!

When I find great stuff and confirm it is indeed great stuff I bought 400' because sure as h-ll something will happen to the price/quality after time, always does.

I usually make too many changes at once to do a decent comparrison, but we had a water problem in the lower level a few years back and only the cable/wire on the floor was affected. (Speakers on spikes and components on rack). Got some short runs for the main speakers and center from Blue Jeans along with the interconnect and got the long runs of 12 ga. oxygen-free stuff from a no-name ebay seller for the surrounds. HT sound was noticeably better from the git go. All of this new cable replaced Monster cable. Still not sure if this difference reflects upon the improved quality of the new stuff or just shows that Monster isn't very good in the first place. Oh well ....