Looking at 1983 La Scala's

Nope, if all 6 drivers work and the cabinets suit you pay what you feel. Consider the cost of getting them to where you want them and haggle, then walk away...with or without. Enough info here on the cost of what you would want or need to do to them.

Great speakers, but they are HUGE.

Cornwall verticals (placed horizontally) as bookshelf speakers put La Scala speakers into my "medium" range.

This hobby is relative...

Right now if you could see a picture of my shop front. The LaScala center channel is the smallest speaker there. In a row, I have KPT-904, THT, THT, LaScala, KPT-684, KPT-684.

:)

It all began for me with a pair of La Scalas...

Now I still have them, plus a pair of Belles, plus three Heresy IIs and a Heresy III, and a pair of 510 JubScala IIs.

It's been worth it, but I didn't foresee it when I started out.

• Like 1

Now I still have them, plus a pair of Belles, plus three Heresy IIs and a Heresy III, and a pair of 510 JubScala IIs.

How would you describe any subjective differences in the sound of the La Scalas and the Belles? Or are they in very different rooms?

with AL crossovers, all original, any issues or concerns to be considered? Decent shape, not great, but ok...

AL crossovers are not the preferred type (most people recommend AA, A, or more costly aftermarket types), but if they sound good to you, that's all that really matters.

Check that all the drivers are working (use a towel or the like to block first the mid horn, then switch to the tweeter, so you can hear if all the drivers are working). Sometimes a driver won't be working because of something as simple as a poor connection, so don't write off a speaker for that reason. Instead, use it to haggle a bit harder. The drivers are not that expensive anyway.

Also check for delamination of the plywood, particularly at the bottom, where the cabinets might have been exposed to water.

Have a look in the back and be sure that the drivers of both speakers match and no dubious substitutions have been done.

Some sellers will claim that consecutive serial numbers add to the value of a pair of speakers, but they don't, unless the buyer is a real hardcore collector.

Edited by Islander

How would you describe any subjective differences in the sound of the La Scalas and the Belles? Or are they in very different rooms?

The Belles are stock, and the original tweeters aren't doing much, but for centre channel vocal duty that doesn't matter to me.

The La Scalas have upgraded tweeters and a few other tweaks, while the La Scala IIs have the 510 JubScala conversion, so it's not a fair comparison.

I can say that the Belle was a huge improvement over the Heresy III that it replaced.

If you search the forum, you should be able to find comparisons between La Scalas and Belles, but my particular units are too different to make meaningful comparisons.