Which arm/cardridge combo on Thorens 124 MK2?

Dear forum members. I have the possibility to acquire a Thorens 124 MK2 in pristine condition. I have a choice of arms to go with it: SME 3012 arm, 3009r, 3009 serie 2, 3009 improved. Which one should I choose? Please elaborate. I would like to have as much info as possible. While you're at it, please recommend a fitting cartridge, although I am not in the market for a big Ortofon SPU. Thanks all!

Tim

• Like 1

H i Tim,

The classic matchup much preferred by many knowledgeable, mostly former, denizens of this place over the year s

has been the 3009 Improved with the Ortrofon SPu cart.

Can't claim real knowledge, but search on the forum under SPU and you will see many postal referencing the Thorens 124 in them.

Edited by thebes

Dear forum members. I have the possibility to acquire a Thorens 124 MK2 in pristine condition. I have a choice of arms to go with it: SME 3012 arm, 3009r, 3009 serie 2, 3009 improved. Which one should I choose? Please elaborate. I would like to have as much info as possible. While you're at it, please recommend a fitting cartridge, although I am not in the market for a big Ortofon SPU.

If you fancy a vintage SME arm it's worth considering what cart you plan to use before choosing as they are different masses / have differing contexts. The common ones are:

3009 Series II (i.e. pre-Improved). Has detachable headshell, metal knife-edge bearings, an effective mass of 12.5g and suits a wide range of MM and MC carts including the SPU. The 3012 Series II is much the same though the mass increases to 14g.

The 3009 Improved was a lower mass version brought out in the early '70s and played to the then fashion of very high-compliance MM carts, e.g. Shure V15/III, Ortofon VMS20E etc. It has nylon knife-edge bearings and an effective mass of 6.5g in the non-removable shell form, and 9.5g with removable shell. This arm is not really suited to moving coils, in fact most modern cartridges are too low compliance to make for an ideal match, though there are exceptions e.g. Ortofon OM40, 540, 2M, AT 150 MLX etc.

No right answer as to which is "best" as it all depends what you want to do with it. I seem to have amassed a collection of the things, four at last count (two pre-Improved, a detachable shell and fixed shell Improved).

Here's a late '60s Series II on my TD-124/II:

9733490297_5cfb2e91c4_o.jpg

Edited by Tony L
  • Like 1

Hey Tim, yes it gets slow here from time-to-time.

I have to issue a correction. Most of our members I've seen posting about Thorens TD 124over the years are favorable to the Series 2 3009, not the Improved. Had a brain fart and got it wrong

Dear forum members. I have the possibility to acquire a Thorens 124 MK2 in pristine condition. I have a choice of arms to go with it: SME 3012 arm, 3009r, 3009 serie 2, 3009 improved. Which one should I choose? Please elaborate. I would like to have as much info as possible. While you're at it, please recommend a fitting cartridge, although I am not in the market for a big Ortofon SPU.

If you fancy a vintage SME arm it's worth considering what cart you plan to use before choosing as they are different masses / have differing contexts. The common ones are:

3009 Series II (i.e. pre-Improved). Has detachable headshell, metal knife-edge bearings, an effective mass of 12.5g and suits a wide range of MM and MC carts including the SPU. The 3012 Series II is much the same though the mass increases to 14g.

The 3009 Improved was a lower mass version brought out in the early '70s and played to the then fashion of very high-compliance MM carts, e.g. Shure V15/III, Ortofon VMS20E etc. It has nylon knife-edge bearings and an effective mass of 6.5g in the non-removable shell form, and 9.5g with removable shell. This arm is not really suited to moving coils, in fact most modern cartridges are too low compliance to make for an ideal match, though there are exceptions e.g. Ortofon OM40, 540, 2M, AT 150 MLX etc.

No right answer as to which is "best" as it all depends what you want to do with it. I seem to have amassed a collection of the things, four at last count (two pre-Improved, a detachable shell and fixed shell Improved).

Here's a late '60s Series II on my TD-124/II:

9733490297_5cfb2e91c4_o.jpg

Very nice! How come no matter what I do my set up is a nest of cables !

Josh

• Like 1

Hooray! It's in. Pictures will follow. The arm I chose is a SME 2012 MK2. Indeed I remembered that the improved arm was not that improved really. So now the search narrows. What I've learned a good match is either the Denon 102R or an Audio Technica. I want to go MC here. I've heard the latter and was very impressed. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Tim.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures and additional info delayed. Before I was able to take some nice pics, I brought the machine to the Dutch expert on Thorens 124's to have the motor cleaned and bearings replaced by Schopper bearings. I will keep you posted. Enjoy the weekend! Tim

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have two arms on my TD-124. A vintage SME 3012 with a recent production mono SPU and Jorgen Shou step up transformers and a 12" Ikeda 407 arm with a 1960's SPU- GT for stereo records. I doubt I will ever find the need to try anything else.

If you don't want to use an SPU (and I can't imagine why you wouldn't!) then try out the classic Denon moving coils - the DL-102 mono and DL-103 stereo. They are the best bang for the buck with the SME arms. Then find a Denon AU 320 step up transformer on ebay. For less than $600 you'll have a GREAT cartridge for your SME.

Edited by Allan Songer