Best DIY horn bass bin?

Its that time of year again to start another build so I thought I would ask what is a good horn loaded diy bass bin .

My requirements are the bin or horn play from 60-400 hz with authority. Also that it can be used in a 3 way design with an alk universal crossover as I have a pair lying around.

I also have 4 k33's sitting unused that I could use in the build. I'm looking for something like a lascala on steroids. Also the width cannot be over 53 inches and the depth not more than 33.

the height below 43 inches. I have dual jbl 2242's to use for left and right stereo subs from 30-120hz. Any help would be appreciated. I also have all the tools to take frequency graphs.

Edited by shepjk01

I thought about it but it is 48 inches in depth which would stick out to far into the room.

You can shorten the one side of my Quarter Pie by a foot or so and you won't give up too much as long as you keep them in corners., . This move the response from about 52 Hz. up to about 60 Hz, IOW about 8 hz. There's a guy in Australia that asked me about that and is building his that way. They are super easy to build and put out a ton of quality bass, like an MWMs.

The K33 actually gets you the most bass out of Quarter Pie, so the driver has plenty of oomf you are looking for. It will also get you to 400 Hz. but it will be down about 4 db from the oommmf part. But all Klipsch Horns do that anyhow with a K-33, especially the LaScala and Khorn.

See the curves

here: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148054-quarter-pie-bass-horn-response-how2build-and-hornresp/page-1

Edited by ClaudeJ1

I thought about it but it is 48 inches in depth which would stick out to far into the room.

You can shorten the one side of my Quarter Pie by a foot or so and you won't give up too much as long as you keep them in corners., . This move the response from about 52 Hz. up to about 60 Hz, IOW about 8 hz. There's a guy in Australia that asked me about that and is building his that way. They are super easy to build and put out a ton of quality bass, like an MWMs.

The K33 actually gets you the most bass out of Quarter Pie, so the driver has plenty of oomf you are looking for. It will also get you to 400 Hz. but it will be down about 4 db from the oommmf part. But all Klipsch Horns do that anyhow with a K-33, especially the LaScala and Khorn.

See the curves

here: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148054-quarter-pie-bass-horn-response-how2build-and-hornresp/page-1

So it is 4' x 3'?

See the curves

So it is 4' x 3'?

The Aussie wanted to shorten it by 10" and redo the radius, so I just rounded off to a foot. He's giving up about 8-10 hz. on the bottom, even with corner placement where the wall picks up the slack from the missing section. I have to emphasize that modifications from my design to make it smaller will NOT improve it, it will reduce the bottom end, which was the reason to design and build it in the first place......duh.

It's a simple formula, really. 1,126 ft/second is the speed of sound. My horn is 5 feet long. 1126/5=225. Divide 225 by 4 to get the 1/4 wave cutoff of the horn, which is 56 Hz. SOLID (no woofer resonance BS in a oversize rear chamber or bass port mod). It's PURE horn and with only 11 pieces of wood with simple talble saw cuts to a common width, I can't make it any simpler or easier for ANYONE to get great bass. You just can't change the physics of low frequencies, so it's best to get down to around 60 Hz. and use a subwoofer below that. I have never heard a better setup and if I did it cost 30 times what I paid, uses 10x the space and is almost exactly the same hybrid setup with number of horns and electronics.

His was strictly a Wife Acceptance Factor, which is the bane of audio excellence if you ask me. But we all love women, so some have to make compromises to keep the peace. Happy wife, happy life, although some are impossible to please.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Its that time of year again to start another build so I thought I would ask what is a good horn loaded diy bass bin .

My requirements are the bin or horn play from 60-400 hz with authority. Also that it can be used in a 3 way design with an alk universal crossover as I have a pair lying around.

I also have 4 k33's sitting unused that I could use in the build. I'm looking for something like a lascala on steroids. Also the width cannot be over 53 inches and the depth not more than 33.

the height below 43 inches. I have dual jbl 2242's to use for left and right stereo subs from 30-120hz. Any help would be appreciated. I also have all the tools to take frequency graphs.

For the La Scalas when you want the same cabinet footprint you can have a look at this build

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/108425-la-scala-bass-reflex-mod/

Im the current owner and here is a photo

post-57741-0-65160000-1399905891_thumb.j

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 2

What will you be crossing to at 400Hz? And are you going for a straight horn or a folded horn? How many drivers per cabinet?

I will be crossing over to a jbl 2485j mounted to an elliptrac horn. I would like to go with a folded design due to size. Also I can use one or two drivers per cabinet. The goal is to be able to keep up with dual jbl2242's per left and right speaker that will run from 35-120hz.

What is your cabinet depth, width and height limit? You want at minimum 60-400Hz?

43 inches in height by 33 inches deep by 50 inches in width. I would like at minimum 60 to atleast 400hz. If I can go lower than that great. I'm looking for the cabinet to best my pair of dbbs if there is one.

I originally built the dual jbl 2242 bass bins to replace my dbbs, in modeling they would play well out to over 500hz, but in reality they drop like a rock after 320hz.From 35-320hz I have not heard better bass than the dual 2242's, they sound like the dbb's on steroids. Another idea is to use the mid driver down to 300hz but I'm having a hard time finding a tractrix horn that will work that low.

What is your cabinet depth, width and height limit? You want at minimum 60-400Hz?

43 inches in height by 33 inches deep by 50 inches in width. I would like at minimum 60 to atleast 400hz. If I can go lower than that great. I'm looking for the cabinet to best my pair of dbbs if there is one.

I originally built the dual jbl 2242 bass bins to replace my dbbs, in modeling they would play well out to over 500hz, but in reality they drop like a rock after 320hz.From 35-320hz I have not heard better bass than the dual 2242's, they sound like the dbb's on steroids. Another idea is to use the mid driver down to 300hz but I'm having a hard time finding a tractrix horn that will work that low.

Have you seen the newest Eliptrac 240 htz horn

See forum thread for more detail - https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/147252-eliptrac-240/

And the site

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/horn-kits.html

I saw the new horn. I contacted fastlane to see if the horn could be used down to 320hz. With an fc of 240 I thought the lowest it would load the driver was around 350. I have an all active setup I could use to run steep slope crossovers on the driver.

The KCS bass horn pair I use have a very small footprint only 22" wide x 25" deep x 84" tall. They produce incredible midbass punch. Comes with twin Eminence pro 18" drivers used in a 16 ft. folded horn. Used with an electronic crossover from 55hz to 220hz. They can be seen on Audio Asylum Trader under DIY Horns/Parts

post-58351-0-42080000-1399985449_thumb.j

post-58351-0-55440000-1399985775_thumb.j

• Like 1

The KCS bass horn pair I use have a very small footprint only 22" wide x 25" deep x 84" tall. They produce incredible midbass punch. Comes with twin Eminence pro 18" drivers used in a 16 ft. folded horn. Used with an electronic crossover from 55hz to 220hz. They can be seen on Audio Asylum Trader under DIY Horns/Parts

sorry not what im looking for

I had the same exact requirement for my system in terms of woofer bandwidth. So I designed my Quarter Pie Horns and shared here. You will need to make a 5 foot long horn somehow, with the fewest folds possible to get anywhere near flat. I think Bruce Edgar's Show Horn might work for you. It uses a 12" EVM 12L woofer and goes from 50-400 Hz.