Best DIY horn bass bin?

What is your cabinet depth, width and height limit? You want at minimum 60-400Hz?

43 inches in height by 33 inches deep by 50 inches in width. I would like at minimum 60 to atleast 400hz. If I can go lower than that great. I'm looking for the cabinet to best my pair of dbbs if there is one.

I originally built the dual jbl 2242 bass bins to replace my dbbs, in modeling they would play well out to over 500hz, but in reality they drop like a rock after 320hz.From 35-320hz I have not heard better bass than the dual 2242's, they sound like the dbb's on steroids. Another idea is to use the mid driver down to 300hz but I'm having a hard time finding a tractrix horn that will work that low.

with that space...u could build dual 15 straight axis tractrix horns 1/2 space. It is what I would do with fr 60-400hz. You could use the 15s u have.

My dual 12 straight axis tractrix goes 70- 500HZ. It is full space....If u went 1/2 space....

What is your cabinet depth, width and height limit? You want at minimum 60-400Hz?

43 inches in height by 33 inches deep by 50 inches in width. I would like at minimum 60 to atleast 400hz. If I can go lower than that great. I'm looking for the cabinet to best my pair of dbbs if there is one.

I originally built the dual jbl 2242 bass bins to replace my dbbs, in modeling they would play well out to over 500hz, but in reality they drop like a rock after 320hz.From 35-320hz I have not heard better bass than the dual 2242's, they sound like the dbb's on steroids. Another idea is to use the mid driver down to 300hz but I'm having a hard time finding a tractrix horn that will work that low.

with that space...u could build dual 15 straight axis tractrix horns 1/2 space. It is what I would do with fr 60-400hz. You could use the 15s u have.

My dual 12 straight axis tractrix goes 70- 500HZ. It is full space....If u went 1/2 space....

So will we see a new JC design coming soon? LOL.

I have decided to use the jbl 2242's for bottoms as they are flat until around 320hz then start dropping. I'm going to try my hand at building a set of the 233hz fc tractrix horns that jwc designed. This would allow me to crossover low enough to meet up with the jbls. I have a couple of minidsps that I will use as crossovers and go full active.

• 4 months later...

I have decided to use the jbl 2242's for bottoms as they are flat until around 320hz then start dropping. I'm going to try my hand at building a set of the 233hz fc tractrix horns that jwc designed. This would allow me to crossover low enough to meet up with the jbls. I have a couple of minidsps that I will use as crossovers and go full active.

I'm curious, what midrange driver/horn combo are you using to cross that low?

Also, Claude, can the 1/4 pie be used vertically?

Yes. This is one of my side channels.

DSC03574.JPG

This is one of Claude's original prototypes. It is a little smaller than the current design.

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

And they sound incredible.

DSC03574.JPG

This is one of Claude's original prototypes. It is a little smaller than the current design.

Stood on end like that I would think that the corners wouldn't have to be radius'd, correct?

Is there a build thread on these, or do you have any plans.

DSC03574.JPG

Dang, even vertical the WAF is a negative number. :o:P

• Like 1

I posted on these a while back. JC made the plans public a while back.

http://www.itishifi.com/2011/03/jcs-tractrix-bass-horn-70hz-to-600hz.html

DSC03574.JPG

True. However mine live in the basement so its ok. 

They look a bit better vertical and painted up a bit better. Here are the front mid and right. Still not going to look right in the living room though.

post-26564-0-46700000-1412883824_thumb.j

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

Stood on end like that I would think that the corners wouldn't have to be radius'd, correct?

I wouldn't think it would matter, but that is better answered by Claude. 

DSC03574.JPG

True. However mine live in the basement so its ok. 

They look a bit better vertical and painted up a bit better. Here are the front mid and right. Still not going to look right in the living room though.

Trom, those look great, nicely done. :emotion-21:

But I'm afraid in our front room, they'd have sleeping on couch written all over them. :huh::o

Just a quick shout-out of thanks to jc for his contributions to the DIY aspect of the forum by taking the time to document his various builds and subsequently sharing them with us, and answering questions over the years. :emotion-21:

I know that I have learned a lot from his Tall Corn build, double bass bin build, Jamboree build, Jubilee clone build, and various straight (no folds) horn tractrix builds, among others. B)  :emotion-55:  :emotion-29:

Seti provides a nice "CliffsNotes" overview of jc's DIY dual 12 inch driver tractrix horn plans in his blog link below.

The links that I am providing below are links to the original "unabridged" jc forum threads, per duder1982's request, and may be helpful reading regarding jc's DIY straight tractrix (no folds) horn builds.

jcs tractrix bass bin

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/101710-jcs-tractrix-bass-bin/

jc minipunch bass horn plans

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/147849-jc-minipunch-bass-horn-plans/

Now, should I hit the bump feature without a post for these threads and possibly cause a few people to develop certain levels of consternation, trepidation, bewilderment and general angst while they contemplate why the threads may have been bumped and by who? :emotion-14:

In the spirit of the “Then vs. Than” thread, should I have used “who” or “whom” in my sentence above noting that you use "who" when you are referring to the subject of a clause and "whom" when you are referring to the object of a clause?

I posted on these a while back. JC made the plans public a while back.

http://www.itishifi.com/2011/03/jcs-tractrix-bass-horn-70hz-to-600hz.html

• Like 1

Its that time of year again to start another build so I thought I would ask what is a good horn loaded diy bass bin .

My requirements are the bin or horn play from 60-400 hz with authority. Also that it can be used in a 3 way design with an alk universal crossover as I have a pair lying around.

I also have 4 k33's sitting unused that I could use in the build. I'm looking for something like a lascala on steroids. Also the width cannot be over 53 inches and the depth not more than 33.

the height below 43 inches. I have dual jbl 2242's to use for left and right stereo subs from 30-120hz. Any help would be appreciated. I also have all the tools to take frequency graphs.

The horn designed by Ernst Beck called the California would do what you want so would a University corner horn with the right driver or a Peavey FH-1 or a Klipsch Belle. Best regards Moray James.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/146927-the-rebirth-of-the-university-classics/page-3

This is one of the best horns, which I designed ever!

Data: Horn length L= 193 cm; Horn entrance surface FM=325 cm2; Horn withdrawal surface FA= 6624cm2; Horn geometry: exponentially; Pressure chamber volume VD= of approx. 55 litres net (approx. 5 litres of chassis)

It has an excellent frequency response and a hervorrragendes impulse behavior. The lower critical frequency fugr = 43 cycles per second, the efficiency 37% and the range 50 -500 cycles per second.

As is always valid with horns: Qts of the used loudspeakers should be < 0.25. Best one draws the supervision 1:1 on a hard fiber board and infers the measures of the construction units of the design.

Measures from 1:1 - diagram design for 19 mm of wood strength:

No. wound. Wall measures for 19 mm in cm (without guarantee) ©egb2005

72 x 79.5 (outside) ---- 2 x 45° mitre

72 x 25.5 (outside) ---- 103° mitre down 57,6° mitre above

72 x 70.5 (outside) ---- 57,6 ° mitre; trapezoidally 8.8 x saw approx. 68 out in front

72 x 63 (outside) ---- 57,6° mitre (acoustic baffle; within the range of the Speakers 1cm deeply in-milled)

72 x 25 (outside) ---- 45° mitre

40 x 10 or 72 x 10 for better reinforcement

72 x 8 (front screen above)

72 x 41.9 (front roof)

72 x 40 (herausnehmbar, in each case - 2mm for the better assembly)

72 x 100 (rear wall)

72 x 81.9 (ground)

81.9 x 103.8 (side panel 2 x)

xx x 10

Here still some photos of the building of the bass horn (copyright Alexander Paproth: Email: papi007@web.de; 2001)

Ernst Beck 1x15 bass horn California.htm

post-44375-0-81000000-1413442792_thumb.g

post-44375-0-34840000-1413447039_thumb.j

post-44375-0-29800000-1413447051.jpg

post-44375-0-68240000-1413447074_thumb.j

post-44375-0-16480000-1413447144_thumb.j

Edited by moray james

The horn designed by Ernst Beck called the California would do what you want so would a University corner horn with the right driver or a Peavey FH-1 or a Klipsch Belle. Best regards Moray James.

To the OP, the term "BEST" is an elusive one?

Cost, bandwidth, cubic feet of space, transient response, flatness, for 8, 10, 12, 15, or 18" driver? One driver or two?

My Quarter Pie horns fill a corner completely (no wasted air space), is only 17" tall, which allows for various sizes and positions of a midrange/treble horn. It uses up 17.8 cubic feet of space, worst case. vs. 22.25 cubic feet for the Beck horn.

The Beck horn has 3 folds for 270 degrees vs. one fold (90 degrees) for my QP. Guess which one will have the the better upper bass/mid clarity if the same driver is used?

Also the QP uses only 11 pieces of wood with only 11 and 45 degree angles vs. 15 with lots of different angles, so QP is much easier to build.

I'm just sayin'..................what is "BEST" for one person may not be so for another.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1