Surround speakers at ear-level: acceptable?

Kain

How is this for a 5.4 setup?

ZtIfU4c.jpg

Basically, I have 4 subwoofers in each corner of the home theater with the left/right front speakers and the left/right surround speakers placed on top of the subwoofers. The surround speakers will be angled towards the seating position. Even though I have not illustrated it, the front left/right speakers will also be slightly toed-in.

Questions:

1. Could I fit in back surround speakers for a 7.4? I am assuming no because with a 7.x setup, the left/right surround speakers should be in front of the left/right back surround speakers (i.e. all four surround speakers in a 7.x setup should not be against the back wall).

2. Would 4 subwoofers be too many for a room of this size? If not, is their placement acceptable (even though I don't have any other option for placing them)?

3. Is it okay to have the surround speakers at ear-level (more so having the tweeter in the surround speakers at ear-level)?

I do not have experience with surrounds at any other level than ear height, so I cannot respond with any type of comparison. However, I presently have one pair of RF-7s as surrounds and they sound great. Prior, I used 4 RF-7s for the front, and 4 KLF-30s for the rear/surround (at ear level) and they sounded great as well. When I moved our sectional a few feet closer to the tv, I noticed the sound greatly improved, as both speakers seem to envelope the rear area, instead of just hearing the speaker one is sitting closer to.

Hello, Kyle,

Not an "expert", either. However, I do have 30s as my fronts, and 20s as my surrounds. Sitting on the floor, all toed in. I think they sound fantastic, too, as you have mentioned, a bit farther back, "enveloping" sound, rather than at all times identifiable by its sound location.

This may betray me as not a purist, or something, but they (and the KV-4 center) do sound soooooo good!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Are the surround speakers in movies mastered with the thought in mind that they will be placed above ear-level? If yes, does placing them at ear-level "degrade" the surround effect intended by the sound designers?

4 subs, one in each corner is almost ideal. Just calibrate them and you're good to go.

The surrounds are normally used for diffuse not direct sound. That's why they're recommended to be about 2' above ear level. After calibration, if they're too distracting, you can always back them down a few dB's.

Which do you think would be the better choice for me (based on the room layout I posted):

1. 4 subwoofers with the left/right front and left/right surround speakers each placed on a subwoofer. All speakers at ear-level. Center speaker on stand.

2. 2 subwoofers with the left/right front speakers each placed on a subwoofer. Surround speakers placed on stands positioning them above ear-level. Center speaker on stand.

Basically, 4 subwoofers with all speakers at ear-level or 2 subwoofers with LCR at ear-level and surrounds above ear-level.

You can put all speakers at ear level. Some of the best ultra most high end/dollar home theaters Iv seen and heard all speakers are/were at ear level. Like CEC mentioned adjust the the surrounds accordingly as you will do with the mains and center as well...A small bookshelf on the floor may result inferior a bit although all floorstanders 7.1 work well. Ear level bookshelves on stands works fine..just adjust. Cheers

Thanks for the replies. Didn't think about placing the surrounds on stands while on the subwoofers. However, I just got another idea. How about placing the surrounds on full-size stands making them above ear-level and placing one subwoofer in between the two surround speakers? That would mean a total of 3 subwoofers. Are 3 subwoofers a good idea or should you stick with 1, 2, 4, etc.?

I'd go for the 4 subs with the surrounds on short stands. You can make the stands tall enough to be above ear level.

Another thing you could try without buying anything is to put the surrounds on the subs and angle them up pointing over the heads of the listening position. That may be all you need and it won't cost you anything to try.

Thanks for the replies.

One more question. Someone stated in my thread on the AVS Forum that in a 5.x setup, the surround speakers should not be at an angle greater than 120 degrees. Is this true? He said that when the angle is greater than 120 degrees, the sense of spaciousness is decreased. My question is that in an IMAX theater (which I think are all 5.1), the surround speakers are basically on the back wall slightly toed-in. Isn't that angle far greater than 120 degrees?

Kain, that is what I have seen and read repeatedly, too. I observe the rule (perhaps, as much because it is possible in my space, as much as because it may be the "correct" thing to do). Like many "rules" it may be generally applicable (and advisable), however, not to say that it is inviolable!

Good listening!