A Crossover Design on Single Exposed Board

Update

I have been testing the crossovers - giving theme some burn in time, and have found them very agreeable

Sound is beautiful at this crossover point @ 500htz for this setup combination

Myself and the builder of the crossovers, have given a score of 9 out of 10

I will however tweak the crossover minimally by replacing or adding

1) Pathaudio earthed Resistors to the tweeter section

2) Mills Resistors to the tweeter PCB

3) Duelund standard Resistor

4) Jentzen flat wax Inductor Coils to service the mid and tweeter sections

I feel and hope that these tweak additions to the crossovers will take the La Scalas to another level and then I will sit and enjoy the music forever more :) ( famous last words )

Just taken a short video ( hope it does the system justice )

Why change from the Deulund Cast Carbon to the Duelund Standard Carbon? Just curious.

I LOVE DUELUND! :) I am using their Cast Copper Caps in my NBS Preamp and my VRD amps as coupling caps. I have used them in other gear as well. Using their resistors in my networks. If I could only afford to use the caps in my networks.

Edited by jorjen

• 3 weeks later...

An update

We'll I have been steadily and methodically putting the finishing touches on this crossover build

Also a couple of upgrades as we'll

Let me post about the upgrades first

Jentzen wax inductor coils have replaced the Solis coils

High quality double core Auto Transformer, with 15 attenuation steps @ 1 db each have replaced the standard units

post-57741-0-35340000-1403491682_thumb.j post-57741-0-27440000-1403491704_thumb.j

Today I have also completed the box frames for the crossovers

Originally, I specified the utilitarian / industrial look when they were made, and I really like that look a lot - the crossovers definitely needed a frame and other finishing touches to give them a little WAF approval factor

Just because they look utilitarian / industrial, It doesn't mean they lack in the design structure and in the parts used area

All fittings and parts were carefully chosen for ease of use or sonic signature that I liked - and I only need to please myself

I understand that the look and design won't be everyone's liking but looks can be deceiving

One deciding factor to layout & construct this crossover set in a single board is because they just won't fit inside the reduced cabinet space in the mid cabinet ( the mid driver cabinet space is non existent ) even the professionally made units won't fit. So it was decided to go a large single board design using affordable high quality parts

Why did I choose a box frame - because it matches the frame type and style of my tube amps

Some photos

post-57741-0-16240000-1403492464_thumb.j post-57741-0-58640000-1403492497_thumb.jpost-57741-0-63840000-1403492561_thumb.j

post-57741-0-91840000-1403492597_thumb.jpost-57741-0-85440000-1403492634_thumb.jpost-57741-0-08540000-1403492657_thumb.j

Edited by Full Range

• 3 weeks later...

devastatingly beautiful! :o wise tweeter placement for time alignment. sure it will sound great.

I've got Jantzen dealership in Iran. their caps are very nice-sounding.

did you wind double c-core autotransfofmer your self?

Edited by Arash
  • Like 1

devastatingly beautiful! :o wise tweeter placement for time alignment. sure it will sound great.

I've got Jantzen dealership in Iran. their caps are very nice-sounding.

did you wind double c-core autotransfofmer your self?

Thanks Arash

I was in two minds on which Jantzen capacitors to use on the tweeter section Silver or Superior Z and chose the Z to have the same sonics as the mid range

The wax inductor coils have also made some smoother seamless improvements at the crossover points

You just know when it's been well implemented, and the speakers just disappear

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Congrats, id say your done with this system, one of the finer ones iv seen  :emotion-21: 

Time to start Thinkin/Designing your next, you know you want to :smile:

If I was to do another build the only design I would consider is the Jubilee or the Volti equivalent and use an Eliptrac 240 horn

No I must not think of new builds

• Like 1

Congrats, id say your done with this system, one of the finer ones iv seen  :emotion-21: 

Time to start Thinkin/Designing your next, you know you want to :smile:

If I was to do another build the only design I would consider is the Jubilee or the Volti equivalent and use an Eliptrac 240 horn

No I must not think of new builds

Pencil down your current thoughts, keep it in a drawer, update with further thoughts when you think of them, put it back in the drawer, sooner or later whats in that drawer will cost you sleep, your an Engineer, that is our curse.

• Like 1

Use Google books, and read about how coils used to be made and why. Most modern coils skirt the wax because it's a pain to work with and adds cost. Most coils aren't dipped in anything, which is imbecilic. This relates to electrical and mechanical integrity. The audible difference is very subtle, hardly worth getting excited about. However, the pursuit of audio "perfection" mostly involves a long list of subtle improvements that add up to monumental improvement. Some things are less subtle than others. With that said, I'm working with Universal Transformer to have all of my parts impregnated with wax. Next in line is the 2.5mH coil, which is also getting the same wire/core/frame upgrade as the autotransformer I use.

• Like 1

However, the pursuit of audio "perfection" mostly involves a long list of subtle improvements that add up to monumental improvement.

Now that is something I'd agree with. I have just changed the coil placed before the woofer (from Solen to a coil would by the gentleman who also did "my" autoformers) and the change is not dramatic (some more clarity), but to my ears worth the extra money spent. I shall give those wax coils a try - but it takes about two weeks for them to be manufactured and delivered.

Wolfram

• Like 1

Looking nice - Can you perhaps elaborate a bit more if you have found the move away from the Solen coils to the Jentzen wax inductors worth the investment?

Thanks - Wolfram

There is nothing standard on my Klipsch La Scalas so I had to do a little bit of experimenting

You need to look at the design as a whole and not it's individual parts

Because the flat coils were incorporated last I can inform you that the difference between the Twisted Solen and the Jentzen Flat wax coils is subtle - but to my ears noticeable

Please don't underestimate the fantastic performance of the Solens

However the main difference is the faint ripple edge of the crossover point of mid and bass disappears with the Jentzen flat wax coils

One other area of difference after installing the Jentzen Flat wax coils is in the attack of the music. Some tracks give me tingles up my spine - I have some very demanding test tracks

For music with soft passages I can't tell the difference between the two

Hope my explanation helps

Use Google books, and read about how coils used to be made and why. Most modern coils skirt the wax because it's a pain to work with and adds cost. Most coils aren't dipped in anything, which is imbecilic. This relates to electrical and mechanical integrity. The audible difference is very subtle, hardly worth getting excited about. However, the pursuit of audio "perfection" mostly involves a long list of subtle improvements that add up to monumental improvement. Some things are less subtle than others. With that said, I'm working with Universal Transformer to have all of my parts impregnated with wax. Next in line is the 2.5mH coil, which is also getting the same wire/core/frame upgrade as the autotransformer I use.

That's pretty close to the series of events I went through Dean

A few little improvements with judicious parts selection added up to a monumental improvement

However, the pursuit of audio "perfection" mostly involves a long list of subtle improvements that add up to monumental improvement.

Now that is something I'd agree with. I have just changed the coil placed before the woofer (from Solen to a coil would by the gentleman who also did "my" autoformers) and the change is not dramatic (some more clarity), but to my ears worth the extra money spent. I shall give those wax coils a try - but it takes about two weeks for them to be manufactured and delivered.

Wolfram

I also had to place a special order from Jentzen for the correct Mh value coils to be custom made

Took about 4,weeks from memory