A Crossover Design on Single Exposed Board

23 hours ago, mach-1 said:

Yes it sounds like Dope  but not from Hope AR USA!

Mate you have an attention span problem 

And you don’t read the posts 

Let’s get this straight 

The speakers are not Klipsch original ✅ I have stated that 

The speaker drivers are not original ✅ I have stated that 

The crossover is not original ✅ I have stated that 

However based on the alterations to components, what has been created is a finely tuned speaker and subject to a persons point of view better than the original 

Let’s take an example 

A race car driver takes delivery of a new car out of a showroom 

Can he drive that car in a race ? I say no as he will be left behind 

So he takes that same car and alters the running gear to make it - “Fit For Purpose “ also  competitive and safe 

Now I ask you - Choose a brand of car and insert name - XYZXYZ 

When you see that altered car driving around the race track and winning races 

DO YOU say that car is not XYZXYZ because it is enhanced with better parts than a car from the showroom 

Seriously 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

Let’s get this straight 

The speakers are not Klipsch original ✅ I have stated that 

The speaker drivers are not original ✅ I have stated that 

The crossover is not original ✅ I have stated that 

Let's try to get the thread back on track.  I think people are trying to help you but they are being a bit inelegant about it because they perceive you are not picking up what they are laying down.

You have good components Mr. @Full Range but the problem is the guys who really know their stuff want the crossover design be be exactly matched.  Most XO designers cringe when guys LIKE ME try to swap out  compression driver (for instance) with no purpose other than I happen to have one laying around, or conversely take known components and simply plug a XO designed for Speaker A into Speaker B.

I like experimenting and sometimes I get good results.  But the really smart guys will roll their eyes at my naive approach to (ahem) "speaker design" because they know (and they are right) that 99% of the time my approach doesn't work.  What happens is I get a speaker where all the pieces don't play nice with each other and the sound usually comes out sounding like poo-poo.

That doesn't stop me from trying, or from being honest enough with myself to admit that the smart XO design guys are usually right.  B)

Khorn SEOS right top view.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mach-1 said:

Did you read up on porting DJK style (he does not have a Klipsch LaScala)

Who doesn't have a Klipsch LaScala? DJK has had them... I have them...

1 hour ago, mach-1 said:

This box  is part of the DJK port  mod without  it you have  it you have a  useless internet upgrade,  a pile of dog pooh!

Not totally needed for the upgrade but will help. What's your problem. If I were living on the other side of the planet, I would probably build my own. Actually, I will be on the other side of the planet in about 5 more years, and I won't be shipping all the stuff I have here around the globe. In fact, the current pair I have is only half Klipsch. The other was a copy. They both now have Klipsch guts. Doesn't matter to me that they aren't all Klipsch. They sound like it...

What's the problem here?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mach-1 said:

Sorry the Dwilawyer needs my respect :o 

So as above post   No.4   it is not as at it  below.  I purchased a 1975  Klipsch LaScala,   free shipping to the freight terminal in NH,  USA =  $525

The inside interweb dimensions are not same as my Factory build.  I have posted this with pix.

The box needs a woofer,  I  have posted four (4) internal changes for woofers used in the LaScala.     So someone crafted a box for a unknown woofer to be used.  That would be a Frankenspeker to start,  now I am looking for a useless crossover design  .  .   .   ...  ...........................

You don't  have wOFFER or a xover or a Mid/horn/driver,  or a TWEETER  to sound  like a KLIPSCH  LaScala.

With respect to Roy D and PWK   call it a wobbley clone,  no Bass no Bite.

I love the looks of the RUNT

image.png.504b13a5176533716b51cb0160b7acc1.png

I’m not sure how to respond to this post.

2 hours ago, mach-1 said:

The inside interweb dimensions are not same as my Factory build.  I have posted this with pix.

You can measure real ones with real Klipsch stickers and they won't all be the same. Your point? It's pretty obvious on the present pair I have now the the copy was made from the real one. They are exactly the same size. When I got them, they had NO Klipsch guts. The had wrong t/s parameter woofers, JBL 800 Hz crossovers with EV 8HD horns and EV 1828R drivers. The tweeters were piezos with a single cap on them. Someone was using them for a PA. I'm sure they sounded awful, but they only cost me $100.

I now have K33s for them and K400 horns. They are getting closer to my original LS that I sold due to finances.

I would love to hear the ones that Full Range built, but even after retiring it will be a 15-16 hour flight to Brisbane.  :D

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mach-1 said:

You can't tweek a LaScala it was how many  sheets of plywood to make a box.  DMF  :)

If you are trying to help then I need to say that - You offer little help with your one line replies 

Im not even sure that the reply is yours or a copy and paste from another source 

Your post also shows a little bit of ignorance 

And reinforces my earlier assumption that you are naive 

You selectively quote others - and those selections are cryptic in nature as it’s not the whole picture 

I don’t know your background, your qualifications, if you have built any speakers / components or if you own any Klipsch Speakers 

Have stated already, that going back decades that I have built several folded horn speakers and plans using Lowther drivers that predate Klipsch and I would like to think that I’m a pretty good judge if something is good or not 

I take pride in posting full answers or explanations and if that is not good enough for you then I’ll raise  my hands up and give up because with you it’s like talking to a brick wall 

Further more - I challenge you to visit me in Australia and review my speakers 

And I will pay for one way of your ticket to do so 

And I remind you that this thread is about a custom crossover build to bring out the best out of the non standard speakers 

Now read on - 

Consider this 

The year of La Scala production 1963 

The availability of suitable materials 

Cost of all materials and parts 

Labour cost 

The price points of other offerings by competitors 

Any good engineer and Paul Klipsch was a briliant engineer would factor in all these points 

Using an X number of ply sheets was factored into the design so there was no waste and the design was minimalist 

It was made affordable and at a competitive price point against other brands 

No dispute that he designed a great speaker to get maximum sound quality with components available to him 

But it was designed on sound engineering principles that had a budget and no bullshit 

Today if you ask another engineer 

And - If that engineer had no constraints 

Can you build this product better - The answer would be yes 

If Paul Klipsch was alive today and the was asked the same question 

Im pretty sure thar he would also say yes 

Edit 

P.S  I am a retired engineer 

I wish to use an example of another product and the aftermarket directly related to this product. Most of us are familiar with the very popular product that goes by the name of Jeep. This is a product that has been around for many decades and has endured many engineering changes and improvements over time. Note; not all engineering changes are improvements but they are measurable changes. Whew got that out of the way. Anyways, this is a product that a person with the right skills and ambition can build completely out of a catalog. When I say completely I mean they could build the entire vehicle using absolutely no parts ever manufactured by Chrysler, amc, Daimler, fiat or whoever. But this finished vehicle will be considered for all intents and purposes a Jeep. No body gets butt hurt that it was not made by Chrysler or that it’s top engineer did not put the last ceremonial drop of oil in the crankcase. The after market is embraced because all in all whether you must have a bone stock vehicle with the original dealer sticker in the window, or a trail machine with more scratches than DJs record collection you share a common interest. The point is, who cares if someone built their own speakers, I built mine. I am here every day reading posts and contributing what I can. My input and others still drives new customers to klipsch. It creates excitement for the brand. I am a klipsch customer too. I am also a woodworker and enjoy a challenge. I want RF7IIs , I will probably buy them over building them.

I apologize for this post becoming a rant..

enjoy your klipsch whether they be the design or finished product.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2017 at 11:14 AM, mach-1 said:

Yes I have two Klipschorns and a LaScala from Hope AR (circa 1975) free shipping still in the house,  later I built Belle clones and a cinema F-20 sub with an 18in driver.  

Also in 1976 I bought two Klipsch Heresy loudspeakers  from Hope that I gave to a friend in need of tunes.  :)

If you click on the Glyph pix that is my room front view 40 years +  24/7/365

Thats well and good 

But how does that help me 

Without hearing my system - How do you know if my system is equal , worse or better than the original 

Im going to be diplomatic and say that it’s none of the above

And finish off  and just say that it’s a different flavour 

Can you just stop with the one liner selective quotes and reply’s- as it’s wearing thin on me 

I took a good 30 + minutes for me to write a detailed reply and you cheapen it with a crap answer 

Unless you actually have something constructive and original to say - this will be my last reply to your posts 

Edit 

And I still think that you are a prickly Thorny Devil and a thorn in my side 

And still clueless