How Many Here Use a VPI TT

jcmusic

Hi Canyonman -- I have a Basis Ovation and Basis Vector tonearm, and a Transfiguration Orpheus cart. This sits on a Townshend Seismic Sink (no longer made), for a total of 100 lbs., and is held solidly and steadily on the wall by a Target wall stand.

This is a very solid setup, no vulnerability whatever to floor or other vibrations. I was lucky in a very tight space to be able to screw the wall stand to a stud with 3" wood screws.

The Basis and Vector are extraordinary in LP repro. The Orpheus is a little clinical but very accurate, and has a surprisingly quiet background, something I haven't heard with other cartridges.

The Tranny is LOMC, with an output of about 0.5 to 0.6 mv. This is very nicely boosted by the MM/MC phono stage in my Joule preamp, which has 61 db gain for MC, switchable to 33 db for MM.

I believe that all the things I mentioned above are important or very important in my LP setup.

Edited by LarryC

Years ago I used a HW 19 jr with upgraded platter and bearing originally with an audio quest arm and later a modded rega rb 300

Nice table nice arm.

Now using a clearaudio champion level 2 with origin live encounter arm

New TT has been ordered. Being built as we speak a ptp audio solid 9. Cannot wait for it to arrive. I intend to use the origin live encounter on that table as well.

Josh

VPI classic II and swap between Soundsmith Zephyr and Dynavector 20X2H.

can you describe the difference you hear between the two cartridges?

The Zephyr is more detailed and neutral, while the Dyna is slightly more rolled off on the highs with a fuller low end. My preference is the Zephyr.

The Zephyr is more detailed and neutral, while the Dyna is slightly more rolled off on the highs with a fuller low end. My preference is the Zephyr.

Ok thanks brother!!!

Do you use the Zephyr into a LO or HO stage? Looks to be a might low for my HO stage but Mark is going to add some Cream soon. I have only recently became aware of "moving iron".

Edited by USNRET

Do you use the Zephyr into a LO or HO stage? Looks to be a might low for my HO stage but Mark is going to add some Cream soon. I have only recently became aware of "moving iron".

It's feeding the MM stage (43db gain) consistent with Soundsmith's recommendation. I don't recall what the gain is on the cream option.

I'm glad that Mark is actively involved with (working on) his products again.

VPI HW-19 jr TURNTABLE

VPI RB-300 REGA TONE ARM

VPI MK III PLATTER

SHURE V15 Type III PHONO CARTRIDGE

EVG (VN35E) stylus

Ed Saunders stylus

SHURE M97xE PHONO CARTRIDGE

SHURE M-95ED PHONO CARTRIDGE

AUDIO-TECHNICA AT440ML OCC PHONO CARTRIDGE

Edited by blindman

VPI Scoutmaster with a Classic 3(JMW 10.5i)tonearm and a Dynavector XX2-MKII LOMC cartridge. Anti-skate device removed. 1.95 grams VTF. VTA is a half rotation below parallel(top of the cart.). So, ever so slightly down at the backend of the tonearm.

Edited by jorjen

Years ago I used a HW 19 jr with upgraded platter and bearing originally with an audio quest arm and later a modded rega rb 300

Nice table nice arm.

Now using a clearaudio champion level 2 with origin live encounter arm

New TT has been ordered. Being built as we speak a ptp audio solid 9. Cannot wait for it to arrive. I intend to use the origin live encounter on that table as well.

Josh

That should be a KILLER combo Josh, mmmm idler drive, very happy for you! The Encounter is the 9.5" version right? You would have to go with the solid 12 for the longer version arm?

Go Niners!

Ok thanks brother!!!

No problem, hope I helped. I have some serious envy of your Korneff 45, I've been on the hunt for one for a while now. I have had chance to email back and forth with Jeff and he is a very nice guy.