Not to start another Bose Bashing thread but.....

Mighty Favog

A co-worker and I were talking this morning about her daughter buying a new TV and wanted my advice, all well and good. In our conversation I asked if her daughter will be connecting the TV to a stereo. She said no as they use their Bose docking stations in their kitchen. I about fell on the floor with fake hacking and gasping for air. :)

I went on to explain how Bose was total crap and pointed out only a few things as to why, not just leaving her with an unelaborated statement/opinion from me.

I told her there was a paper written that floats around on the net but I've had a hard time finding it lately. Till now....

http://web.archive.org/web/20050601075025/http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

So here it is for quick reference if you run short of breath explaining the whole thing to someone.

I don't even waste my breath.

there are so many choice out in the market the experience is so personal, I just try and tell someone one time about Klipsch... if they get it, then viola... if not, have fun with that Bose system

• Like 1

I have a friend with a Bose Wave system. He loves it.

Good for him. As long as someone is listening to music, I can't knock them for it. He probably thinks I'm crazy with my Washing Machine size speakers!

To each his own and I'm not going to knock someone or laugh at them for their choice.

Dennie

• Like 1

I had a friend that put in a bose system he used in wall whole house, I would tease him and we had fun bantering back and forth. He needed help replacing the engine in his Blazer so he brought it up to the house and over the weekend we did the work. last day his wife and kids come up. when the job was done I took them all to the basement and fired up the edgar horns

He understood what I had been talking about :D

His new argument (and a good one I will add) was his speakers were in wall and took up no floor space

Growing up all I ever heard about speakers was how good Bose were and I had my share but infinity showed me how bad the bose were, Klipsch showed me how hard infinity was to drive

I stopped reading after the first line of the article. the replacement speakers being cited as the bose drivers are generic replacements offered by the refered web site and they clearly indicate the 35 per pair speakers are replacements. I would argue if the replacements which need a 350hz cutoff would perform as well as the originals with the 120hz cut off.

on the general subject of bose...they are good enought for what they do...would I buy a pair of new 901's for 1800 bucks...probally not...but if you give me a set for free...i won't say no they stink dont want them. I'd put them on my oak roll top desk in studio monitor mode.

The cubes are poular becuase they have a very small foot print. Some folks do not want to see 8 to 9 cubic feet speakers and refrigerator size sub woofers in their decorative living rooms. to each their own.

If the serach is for the ultimate sound...it would be a weak argument to oppose just buying a super pair of head phones.

• Moderators

Trash, someone gave me a bose sub about the size of a toaster. I can say one thing they use good glue, that's about it, I used a hammer to get inside of it to find what looked like a speaker costing at least $2. This was a sub for there "system" that cost over $1500.

For every BOSE slashing thread, there ought to be one on Klipschs' dismal consumer marketing that has enabled a company such as BOSE to excel. At least 75% of the people I meet own Bose and are proud to announce this fact. The same crowd usually has never heard of Klipsch and are utterly flabbergasted to learn that Bose will never be found in any theater or serious music venue. IMHO it is Klipsch (et al) who is failing to educate the consumer. Bose is just filling this void with fancy words and cheap products.

• Like 1

For every BOSE slashing thread, there ought to be one on Klipschs' dismal consumer marketing that has enabled a company such as BOSE to excel. At least 75% of the people I meet own Bose and are proud to announce this fact. The same crowd usually has never heard of Klipsch and are utterly flabbergasted to learn that Bose will never be found in any theater or serious music venue. IMHO it is Klipsch (et al) who is failing to educate the consumer. Bose is just filling this void with fancy words and cheap products.

Klipsch was purchased for around 166 million. Klipsch has an annual revenue of around 31 million. The Bose company annual revenue is 2.3 billion. Not making excuses, but Bose has been marketing very hard for decades. I think they may have been the first to come up with the no see um satellite speaks that included a sub., that was a huge seller. They were also one of the first to market the noise cancelling headphones. They also spend tons of money on TV adds for tha friggin Bose Wave radio....versions 1 through 17 :) I think they also offered financing for those things to boot. They were smart in designing and marketing, and it doesn't have to have audiophile sound to sell to the masses. Remember, we are a small piece of the pie when it comes to demanding good sound. Lets face it, and I think most will agree, the majority of the world doesn't know shit from shinola and includes many other subjects other than audio goodies.

Klipsch is taking a bite of the earbud market which I am glad to see. However, Klipsch has too many discontinued products. I applaud them for throwing spaghetti against the wall bringing out some cool blutooth players and what not, but when they're not offered two years later, something is amiss. The Klipsch Stadium blutooth player that has impressive specs and power is a very cool item, but its far from a money maker. Whos gonna pay 1.5 to 2K for that thing when you can purchase a very decent 5.1 Klipsch setup all with a decent AVR for the same price? I know, I know, its somewhat small and can sit on a shelf and don't get me wrong, I think its cool even though I haven't even heard it yet. But come on, how about a set of used Cornwalls and a decent tube amp for under 2K? This Stadium doesnt make sense and will likely be one and done like the others left in the trail.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I was looking on a football forum today and saw a thread where the poster was complaining about his bose HT system. He said it wasn't worth what he paid for it, and he couldn't even upgrade it to a Blue Ray player - he would have to buy a complete new system for $$$$$$$. What surprised me was that the 17 or so replies all said bose sucked. Not even one bose defender.

Klipschophiles should be careful criticizing Bose for using "cheap" drivers. PWK selected some "cheap" drivers that when integrated into the overall design produced the target performance at a target price. That's what good engineers do.

Bose's marketing skills are extraordinary.