Recommended sub for LaScala Trios

Youthman

Here is the comments from the newsletter... "I still have that big, kick-*** Volti subwoofer for sale. Remember the one that was made for a pair of Vittoras, but the customer bought them without the sub? It's the old version, front-firing 18" driver and a big cabinet with Bosse Cedar veneer." "This thing rocks, and it's beautiful too. It's a steal at $1,500, basically the cost of the driver and materials used to build it. Somebody please buy this thing! This is not a boomy home theater sub - it's a design that is able to keep up with bass horns, in the most musical sense.

I'm just going to quickly mention these last two items, and I apologize for not having pictures and details on them. But I do want to mention them in case someone out there is interested. Just contact me and I'll get pics and information to you. I am selling my 1967 original Klipsch Khorns that have the full Volti Audio upgrade package of components and wiring. I'm also selling my complete Klipsch MCM 1900 system.

(That last one hurt) "

As you can see he also has a MCM1900 system for sale...

One day your done and now your going to change almost everything. I guess a new projector would be good as long as your doing everything else. Hmm that will only cost a few grand more :rolleyes:

Are we still talking about Youthman ? :D

Well the further you go the less you have in front of you. :rolleyes:

Edit; I wonder if my wife wanted MWM's to finally put an end to me looking at speakers :o She may be smarter than I gave her credit for, I need to rethink other things now ! :(

Lmao i see your point :rolleyes:

Wow I've never heard of them before today

Youth,

They are made by a forum member (Greg 928 GTS) that learned a lot from others here. He started out by doing very beautiful yet very high priced veneer makeovers on klipsch Heritage speakers, then he branched out into modifications on Heritage Speakers, then on to his own versions which he calls Volti Audio. I sold him a pair of K-Horns for less than the shipping but never did get pictures of the finished project as requested.

Rog

• Moderators
One day your done and now your going to change almost everything.

When the opportunity knocks, I invite him in. That's how I roll. :D

Are we still talking about Youthman ?

The RF-83 / RC-64 are sold and will be picked up this evening so that will go towards the upgrades in the front wall. The way I have it worked out, I should be able to upgrade to the Trio LaScala, upgrade my screen from 103" to 150" and redesign my entire front wall and have no out of pocket expense. Yep....we are still talking about Youthman. :D

Well the further you go the less you have in front of you.

My wife told me last night, maybe you should make the HT room bigger so she can workout in there. She figures it might cost $10,000. I think she's crazy! At least when I upgrade, it typically doesn't cost me any money.

• Like 1

One day your done and now your going to change almost everything.

When the opportunity knocks, I invite him in. That's how I roll. :D

Are we still talking about Youthman ?

The RF-83 / RC-64 are sold and will be picked up this evening so that will go towards the upgrades in the front wall. The way I have it worked out, I should be able to upgrade to the Trio LaScala, upgrade my screen from 103" to 150" and redesign my entire front wall and have no out of pocket expense. Yep....we are still talking about Youthman. :D

Well the further you go the less you have in front of you.

My wife told me last night, maybe you should make the HT room bigger so she can workout in there. She figures it might cost $10,000. I think she's crazy! At least when I upgrade, it typically doesn't cost me any money.

Have you decided on what you are going to do for subs? Are you getting the Seymour XD screen... DIY screen, or completed?

• Moderators
I sold him a pair of K-Horns for less than the shipping but never did get pictures of the finished project as requested.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Thx for the info on Volti Audio. It's all new to me.

Have you decided on what you are going to do for subs?

I'm waiting to see if I can barter for a Danley. If not, the RSW-15 will be great for now. I'm in no hurry to upgrade my subs but if I can work out a barter deal, Youthman is all for that.

Are you getting the Seymour XD screen... DIY screen, or completed?

150" Seymour XD fabric. Wake and I will build a screen wall to mount it to, then after some testing, decide how big I should go and mask to whatever size is best. That way in the future, when I do upgrade my projector (not anytime soon), I won't have to buy a new screen.

• Like 1

I sold him a pair of K-Horns for less than the shipping but never did get pictures of the finished project as requested.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Thx for the info on Volti Audio. It's all new to me.

Have you decided on what you are going to do for subs?

I'm waiting to see if I can barter for a Danley. If not, the RSW-15 will be great for now. I'm in no hurry to upgrade my subs but if I can work out a barter deal, Youthman is all for that.

Are you getting the Seymour XD screen... DIY screen, or completed?

150" Seymour XD fabric. Wake and I will build a screen wall to mount it to, then after some testing, decide how big I should go and mask to whatever size is best. That way in the future, when I do upgrade my projector (not anytime soon), I won't have to buy a new screen.

I think you will be pleased with going max size and then mask to size. There was a thread on AVS that showed a very simple way to make a screen wall for a screen... I will see if I can dig it up for you.

• Moderators
If not, the RSW-15 will be great for now.

Yes it will, you have a lot already lined up. You could always go back to the sub later.

If I remember correctly the spud didn't cost over $200 including plain birch plywood, diy of course. Other models more because of more expensive drivers, but still a lot less than new prices.

It would pay very well to learn a little woodworking, if it's something you have considered ?

The dts-10 goes for sale every now then used. If the deal doesnt work out with Danley i would use the rsw 15 for now and wait for a nice horn sub to go on sale and jump on it. Deals on horn subs come around every now and then. That is what i did and it worked out for me, i think i got pretty lucky with my thtlp. If not i say you build one. It would be a great experience with a worth while out come. I will keep my eyes peeled for you and good luck;)

A few months ago i was at a concert with one of these bad boys which i was standing right besides. (Sub from vid on page 1)

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/bc-horns/bc-415/

Most beautiful, clean, chest punching, loud bass i have ever heard. I was standing about 4 feet from the exit. It was amazing. lol. I am a bass horn addict. I thought about the dts10 that was for sale in Tampa but he was asking 2000 and wasnt budging enough for me;(

Alex

Edited by alexg5775
  • Like 1

The dts-10 goes for sale every now then used. If the deal doesnt work out with Danley i would use the rsw 15 for now and wait for a nice horn sub to go on sale and jump on it. Deals on horn subs come around every now and then. That is what i did and it worked out for me, i think i got pretty lucky with my thtlp. If not i say you build one. It would be a great experience with a worth while out come. I will keep my eyes peeled for you and good luck;)

A few months ago i was at a concert with one of these bad boys which i was standing right besides. (Sub from vid on page 1)

Most beautiful, clean, chest punching, loud bass i have ever heard. I was standing about 4 feet from the exit. It was amazing. lol. I am a bass horn addict. I thought about the dts10 that was for sale in Tampa but he was asking 2000 and wasnt budging enough for me;(

Alex

I paid $1700 for 2 shipped to me.

Alex

Is there a more capable sub on the planet?

I bet that costs as much as a car.

• Moderators
It would pay very well to learn a little woodworking, if it's something you have considered ?

Wake is a good teacher. :D

Never thought you'd go all 3'rd person on us.

It's ok....sometimes I even talk to myself. :wacko:

Youthman... Here is a simple DIY wall for your screen

It looks like something I could build myself without Wake's help but honestly, with his help, it will be pretty incredible. Can't wait to see what he comes up with. He should start his own business. I just happen to know a Web Developer that could hook him up too. :emotion-21:

The K-Horns were older, early 80s I think, Laquered Oak with Cain grills. I sold them for $1,000

Wow, $1500 for Khorns. Dude got majorly hooked up.

A few months ago i was at a concert with one of these bad boys which i was standing right besides. (Sub from vid on page 1) http://www.danleysou...c-horns/bc-415/

WOW! What an absolute BEAST of a sub!

I thought about the dts10 that was for sale in Tampa but he was asking 2000 and wasnt budging enough for me;(

Yeah, I would have had to pass as well. There is no doubt Wake and I could build one. Where can you find the plans for something like the DTS10 or DTS20? Does Danley sell a kit?

I paid $1700 for 2 shipped to me

Wow, good deal!

Agreed. Very good price indeed for those subs.