just got my radeon ddr

kimber

well i finally was brave enough to remove my old trusty vd2's and install a radeon 32ddr.first impression wasnt as big of difference as i expected but the more im playing the better its getting.deffinetly blows my old rage fury away.i've been running most games at 1280x1024 with all options on with very little slow down.anyone else using the radeon?

Hey Kimber, I was wondering if you considered the Geforce2 DDR at all. I'm thinking of getting either that or the Radeon for Christmas, so just wanted your thoughts on that issue.

------------------

Tuna from a can is good.

Fresh tuna steak is better.

Things that are not tuna but smell like tuna are bad.

yea i gave it alot of thought and research.but the price (150) and display qaulity finaly won over pure fps for me.plus the radeon is ready for some of the directx8 features(coming soon).by christmas though the prices should be even lower i just couldn't wait any longer once i seen the price drop to 150 smile.gif.

OK, here's a question: if the two DDR cards were similarly priced, do you think the Radeon still wins for quality and techinical longevity? I know about the DirectX 8 hardware support and the 3 texels per pass vs. 2 per pass and the other technical innovations that the Radeon has. But I'm just wondering how much of that stuff will really get used. It seems that if game designers start maximizing the Radeon's capabilities, then it'll kick the Geforce2's butt. Oh, and what about the ATI drivers? Never had an ATI card but their rep is not as good as nVidia's.

FYI, on pricewatch , the Radeon SDR is $133, DDR is $157, and the Geforce2 DDR is $156.

------------------

Tuna from a can is good.

Fresh tuna steak is better.

Things that are not tuna but smell like tuna are bad.

i think i would still go with the ati.for one image qaulity is more important to me than getting acouple extra fps.i also dont believe in totally going on benchmarks.and when directx8 comes out and ati releases their new drivers i believe you'll see a decent increase in fps.another buddy of mine has a geforce ddr and has nothing but problems with it.i'm sure though, they have alot of this worked out since this was one of the original cards.but if your major use is the like of first person shooters then maybe the gts is for you.good luck ,both are good cards you'll be happy either way.

• 1 month later...

Also remember the Geforce cards memory runs into a bottle neck and some passes of the cards cpu are wasted there fore making the card slower in some cases. It's only fast because of the raw power it has that's also why some Athlon mobos have had problems with it, huge power consumption. The Radeons gpu have no wasted passes and no bottle necks with the memory because of the engine ATI has put into these cards. If you are tired of 16 bit graphics there shouldn't be a question, Radeon. Also in a year or so down the road when every game and 3d apps are depending on all the DX 8 features who's gonna be ontop of it all? Also ATI has a newer driver on there site than what comes on the install disk.

You get great fps with the Radeon. At high res, 32 bit the Geforces maybe able to keep up with the Radeon but in most cases the Radeon beats it, it maybe by a small amout but it beats it. Also from what I've heard the image quality coming off Radeons are better than the GF because the GF is basically "how fast can I process this stuff and move it on", concerned mostly with how many fps it can produce. The newest drivers from ATI where a small improvement but you can only make small improvements on something that already looks and works great.

quote:

Originally posted by Seb:

then why the hell is every gaming site out there recommending geforce cards?

or maybe i didn't visit the good ones...

it really seemed to me like nvidia had the market in their pocket and their cards kicked Ati's ***...

Seb, it is kinda like the Aureal vs. Creative thing with Sound Cards. We knew that the Aureal was better but they just got out marketed.c>

------------------

I AM NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665

c>

How is the Radeon? Anandtech.com gave it semi-OK reviews. The biggest problem that it had was the fact that it really sucks in 16 bit. Now in the future this may not even be an issue but now there are still plenty of games in 16 bit. Especially the ones that I buy for my 4 year old. He may not care that it looks like crap but I will.

------------------

Come on honey why can't I spend some more money?

okay...

so i should go with your advice and buy a radeon?

i'm still a bit confused as to how a superior product that is widely available did not get as good reviews as an inferior product that is marketed better...

the sites that did review the Aureal, i'm sure, gave it better reviews than the soundblaster cards, right?

or does marketing hype affect computer emags too?

i have mine coupled with a 566@933 and get pretty good speed(not what i expected but im satisfied) but excellent looks.but i must say if i knew about the new drivers for the vd5 5500 i probably would of went with that.but like i said earlier if you want pure fps got geforce if ya want image qaulity go radeon.but give that 5500 a second look.voodoos work with everything well.

Yes run right out and buy a card more dependant on a dying API (Glide) and while your at it pick up an Sound Blaster 8 bit isa sound card too. Unless you've been living under a rock the last week 3dfx (Vodoo) is no longer in the picture they've been bought by Nvidia. Every site out there recomends Geforce not because of hype. They are very good cards for the right now. Anybody can pop a high powered chipset onto a card and make it pump out 150 fps. If you can tell me you can tell the difference between 55 and 105 fps then you must god. But if you can honestly tell me you don't want to jack that resolution up as high as your monitor will take and have 32 bit color depth well you stick with that gforce (which does 32 fairly well) but I'll take my high res 32 bit with kick *** quality thank you very much. Oh and as far as Aureal vs. SB, I've owned the 3 versions of the Aureal chips(The 1st Monster Sound from Diamond,a Vortex and Vortex 2) and none of them came close to the SBL xgamer I have. It's not the top of the line SBL but it's got it where it counts.

I guess I wasn't obvious with my sarcasm in the last post. Sorry. frown.gif

Oh well, I was just trying to point out that you could have a myriad of card configs but it's just unnecessary, kinda like what you said. I think you can't go wrong with either the radeon or geforce2 based cards. Once the next gen of cards is out, these current ones will be mediocre anyway, so why sweat the decision? I say buy a low priced performer, o/c the crap out of it and dump it when you can't play games on it anymore biggrin.gif

But that's just my opinion.

well if it's that close then i'll go with the radeon, they are less expensive.

around here and in Canadian dollars, I can get the Hercules 3D prophet II GTS pro (geforce 2 gts with 64 megs of DDR RAM) for 557 and the Radeon DDR 64 megs for 424...

that's 130 bucks less!!!

is that a good decision?

i have a radeon on the way, my dad has one, and my best friend has one. both say that it is far and away the best vidcard they've ever seen. plus you get the kick *** TiVO on it that works beautifully for DVD's on a TV, which is much cheaper than buying a seperate DVD player. i'm not sure, but i think the geforce has TiVO too. go read gamerdepots review of it. they put it up against a geforce and it rocked the geforce, at 32 bit. i would say, why get a card for old technology? radeon supports newer games better. if you're like me, you play a game for about a month, tops, beat it a couple times, and move on, never to play it again, and get newer games. might as well be ready for them. also, radeon has the best DVD support i've seen.