Forte placement

eth2

I'm not sure what Nak and crown have to do with forte II placement. I do understand its role in the pissing contest. I would suggest the thread crap honey pot in the lounge for that. Maybe then I'll tell everyone what I think of Churchill.

Roger, I think about a foot from the nearest edge of the passive to the wall is a good place to start. Then adjust as hearing dictates. Usually this means outwards.

I'm not sure what Nak and crown have to do with forte II placement. I do understand its role in the pissing contest. I would suggest the thread crap honey pot in the lounge for that. Maybe then I'll tell everyone what I think of Churchill.

Roger, I think about a foot from the nearest edge of the passive to the wall is a good place to start. Then adjust as hearing dictates. Usually this means outwards.

oldtimer,

I would agree, that he needs to experiment with what he has in his room, just like the amount of tow in for example. The Nakamichi and Crown crack is a dig in that shakey was viewing my profile. I use 2 Nakamichi PA-7II (225 watts per channel) for my front three channels. I use 2 Nakamichi PA-7 Amps (200 watts per channel) for my 4 surrounds. And I use a Crown 4000 I-tech to power my two Klipsch KPT-684s. The crown I-tech is Crowns touring amp and a lot more expensive than the XTI PA Amp series. I have about $4,000 in the Nakamichis and $1500 in the used crown, so I don't know what he has to thumb his nose at me, but I suspect he doesn't know the difference between the XTI and the I-Tech.

Roger

• Like 1

I have Forte II at my office in the Loop. These are the ones purchased from a fellow in Milwaukee. I went up there on Amtrak and brought them back in the luggage car. I've told that story before.

Anyway . . . they are right in the corners, toe-ed in. Only an inch or so clearance at the corners.

I listen to classical WFMT almost all the time. Bass is extended buy not boomy. Rock stations sound compressed and as if they have some bass boost but not overbearing otherwise. I suspect the little Sony tuner has Tripath amps but I've not taken them apart. I really like the amp. There is a second or so after turn-on when a relay closes, and Tripaths have this to prevent turn-on transients from getting through.

For some time I wondered about the good performance all round because the floor plan is almost square - supposedly very bad. Granted there is door in one of the other corners which could be functioning as the world's best bass trap.

After further rumination I contemplated that the ceiling is suspended. The tiles can't be doing much to absorb bass. There is about two feet to the poured concrete floor about. The space communicates with the rest of the area above the suite of rooms, which is quite large. So this room is really only has five, instead of six, walls. Or, conceptually, a very large bass trap in the ceiling. It is a special case. Maybe lofts are similar.

My thought is that most people have six-sided rooms and boom can be reduced by pulling the speakers away from the corners. Part of boom comes from the ceiling.

Smile,

WMcD

I toe mine in with the closest point of the passive about a foot or more from the wall. Don't put them too close to the wall, that's like putting a port too close and will muffle bass response. Anywhere from a foot to a foot and a half is a good place to start. Every room is different so experiment away.

Well put oldtimer, couldn't have said it better myself.

Same rules apply to all Klipsch products with rear mounted passive.

Arguing over placement in someone else's room is an exercise in futility. EVERY room is different. What works for Roger may not work for Shakey and vice versa. Neither may work for the OP. I think all agree however that they do not need to be very close to a wall. The PR's need room to work just like a port.

Earl, you need to pick a spot and listen to the speakers for a while. Give yourself time to acclimate to how they sound. After a week or so, move them and try to listen to some of the same things you previously listened to. Pay attention to the bass. Do the notes hang in the air and run into each other or is there a definite attack and delay. Pay close attention to kick drums and bass guitar notes. It may take 4 or 5 moves to find the spot that's good for you and your room.

• Like 1

For whats its worth my chorus ii are out from the wall about 4ft in corners toed in with 18's behind them(also toed in)...sounds pretty darn good just the chorus alone..

theyll be fine right however you have them...I would just suggest a bit of air for the passives.

• Like 3

Hi Earl,

Carl is correct, every room is different, just as everyone's hearing is different. I apologize for high-jacking your thread, and eagerly wait your experimentation with a tape measure and what differences YOU hear in corner vs non corner placement in YOUR room.

PS: is moving the filing cabinet an option???

Rog

Mine are exactly 18 inches from my rear wall which is dry-walled. Also mine have NO Toe-in, straight forward provides the best sound for me. Also I prefer placement away from corners. INMO best sound comes from being placed 18-20 inches away from a non cornerd wall.

Best regards,

John

I gotta mention to cause its true...Nakamichi and Crown are absolutely the top of the reproduction of sound...always have been and likely always will be...i tested some new crown amps not long ago and they were nice....still the 3 series of xls even the chinese d class put out great power with lotsa features. As for Nakamichi if you find anything with that name on it grab it...I wish i had me some Nakamichi...1 brand only my high end friends use and its absolutely great equipment...Crowns the same...They last forever too...cheers :blink:

• Like 2

OK, I tried multiple locations and the best placement seems to be 30" from the corner walls. Any closer and I get a booming effect, and further out I lose some bass.

I just can't believe what great speakers these are, even compared to my Khorns.

• Like 2