Cornwall 1983 1.5 version for sale………SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD !

allmanbros

Update!!!!!….I can confirm that at least the crossover upgrades I advertised were done….there are Hovland and Sonicap capacitors on the mid-range and tweeter…..again posting pictures is most difficult for me, for some reason…..anyway I am confident that the Crites diaphragms are there also…..additionally the inside of the speakers is 9/10….minus 1 point for being 31 years old!…..I promised this info to one prospect to the best of my ability…..

So, my dilemma is that I have a smallish room 15x16. I have tried to research the web on best size room for these cornwalls and most folks are saying I need to be at least 12 feet away for the sound to come together and that the bass might overwhelm this sized room. Are there some expert opinions yall can point me to that would clarify if these are the right speakers for me? I like Klipsch as an American brand that produces a good product, but am uncertain which model best suits my room.

So, my dilemma is that I have a smallish room 15x16. I have tried to research the web on best size room for these cornwalls and most folks are saying I need to be at least 12 feet away for the sound to come together and that the bass might overwhelm this sized room. Are there some expert opinions yall can point me to that would clarify if these are the right speakers for me? I like Klipsch as an American brand that produces a good product, but am uncertain which model best suits my room.

Cornwalls can be used for near field listening as close as 6 feet.

I have found this forum to be a vast collection of experts and diverse opinions.....it is what make it worth reading....two responses and exact OPPOSITE answers!.....not to diss either respondent, only YOUR ears can discern whether or not your space is adequate for these speakers or not.....if nothing else the diversity of these these responses should prove that.....I have about 6 feet of space, and while I would have preferred a bit more room simply from a physical presence standpoint, I thought they sounded great....this "hobby" is about as subjective as one can get however and nobody's wrong if everybody's right!

Yea, but obviously I am WAY out posted by the black dog.....

Post count means nothing especially in my case.

I was mirroring Thaddeussmiths experience with his Cornwalls. He keeps trying to get me to listen to mine that way but I haven't had time top play with them. He's enamored with his set up that way. Yes, this hobby is very subjective.

Yea, but obviously I am WAY out posted by the black dog.....

Post count means nothing especially in my case.

I was mirroring Thaddeussmiths experience with his Cornwalls. He keeps trying to get me to listen to mine that way but I haven't had time top play with them. He's enamored with his set up that way. Yes, this hobby is very subjective.

Please explain how you would set them up at 6 feet - an equilateral triangle?

Upon further review, I think sometimes our judgment comes on a limited amount of personal interaction with speakers…..for example I have never heard Cornwalls positioned further than about 6 feet away, so I don't have a clue what they would sound like 10, 12, or 15 feet away with a bigger listening area….my belief is that as a big speaker, they would sound better in a bigger environment……at 6 feet they were more than adequate to me, but with no experience otherwise I have no real idea of what I MAY be missing…..I bought these Cornwalls not based on anything other than I wanted to experience all the hoopla around them and I was willing to do that space be damned……as another poster said, I can't really crank them up as they overwhelm the space very quickly and become obnoxious to listen to….but I think the same can be said about any speaker played too loud in a small environment…..I wood be hard-pressed to call someone on this forum wrong, just different…..as John Mellencamp said in Pink Houses, "ain't this America" or something like that.

I have no knowledge that the tweeters were swapped out.....I believe I am the third owner, and it was never mentioned when I went through the buying process and it would not have mattered anyway...however to strictly a purist it might make enough difference to can the deal.....Colterphoto1, who according to a past thread, worked at Klipsch and came up with the 1.5 name, did say that between 81 and 85 there were some "bizarre" driver combinations.....is it possible this particular pair somehow wound up with the k-77 as stock with other changes being made to the mids, woofer and crossover?.....could these have been an experiment?......certainly an interesting question.....regardless the speakers SOUND GREAT!....perhaps someone with ties to Klipsch, Bob Crites or Colterphoto1 could offer more?.....perhaps the original owner was a purist and preferred the old tweeters to the new and swapped them out.....as I said numerous times, I did not go to the point of verifying specific drivers as being time correct and only opened these Saturday......

• 2 weeks later...

There is no official model 1.5 Cornwall, but some on this forum gave models produced between about 1981 and 1985 this nickname because during that span Klipsch used some drivers not used in Cornwall 1's and also not used in Cornwall 11's….if you want a more specific picture, please go to my original post (the one without pictures) and scroll down to the post with a Cornwall timeline attachment and it will give more specific driver info for this set which was produced in 1983…..you should also be able to go to Klipsch website under Heritage/Cornwall and find the same info…..basically the 1.5 is neither a I or a II model, thus 1.5 is somewhere in between….still all Klipsch (except for the upgrades previously mentioned) and still legendary Cornwalls and if anything a bit rarer than others…hope this helps explain.

I gave them that name when I worked for Klipsch and it became apparent that there were models in the change-over years. Usually it's just the midrange driver was changed and a crossover modification and new number followed that change.

Thanks for clearing this up Colterphoto1......when I bought these, the specs listed the tweeter as k-77h, so that is what I listed them as also.....I posted a picture of the xover and the insides later, and another poster said the tweeters were actually k-77....round vs square magnet I believe......his assumption was if this pair was produced in 1983, they should have k-77h, so they must have been switched out at some time....if I read you correctly you are saying they well could have had k-77 tweeters in 1983 from the factory, is that right?.....either way the fact that the mid is different still qualifies them as 1.5.