Have Icons - is it worth the extra money for Reference

Dreadneck13

I just bought the Icon f-28 and I was going to get the Icon center speaker (Icon 5 1/4). I can get everything for under 900.00 (l/r and Center) I watched a movie with the f-28 and it was awesome! Bass rumbled, clear highs and mids - and that is with my old center speaker. (even my wife was amazed)

So now I'm thinking - is it worth the extra money to return the Icons to get the Klipsch RF-82 and the Reference center speaker RF-52. That would cost me about 1500 - 1600 vs 900 I would spend on the Icons. That's a big difference! So is the sound a big difference?

So does anyone think the price difference is worth it. I haven't heard the reference, I do know the Icons sounded awesome for the movie.

Please call mike at acoustic sound design for best prices. Skip the 82's go with rf-62ii and don't get the rc-52ii the rc-62ii is WAY BETTER!!! Rf-62ii plus RC-62ii shipped to your door should be around 1050-1100. And yes reference will smoke the icon series in every aspect.

I just bought the Icon f-28 and I was going to get the Icon center speaker (Icon 5 1/4). I can get everything for under 900.00 (l/r and Center) I watched a movie with the f-28 and it was awesome! Bass rumbled, clear highs and mids - and that is with my old center speaker. (even my wife was amazed)

So now I'm thinking - is it worth the extra money to return the Icons to get the Klipsch RF-82 and the Reference center speaker RF-52. That would cost me about 1500 - 1600 vs 900 I would spend on the Icons. That's a big difference! So is the sound a big difference?

So does anyone think the price difference is worth it. I haven't heard the reference, I do know the Icons sounded awesome for the movie.

Dreadneck13,

Where are you located?? Most would jump in and say yes, but only you know how much you can afford to spend?? I suggest you list where you are and see if a forum member with a reference system will invite you over for a listen. How big is your listening room?? Used Heritage sounds even better and can be had for even less if you have the space and your wife doesn't mind the look.

Roger

• Like 1

I would browse the local craigslist for reference speakers. Yes reference sounds amazing. If space is an issue, look for current rb (reference bookshelf) or rsx series (no longer produced, but a very sleek and sexy satellite with enough umph to not disappoint). I have scoured the used market and have finally put together a respectable 7.1 rsx setup for less than $300 (which is silly considering the retail). The heritage are good speakers as well, but space should be considered before jumping into those.

The larger reference speakers are about the best speakers you can get for the home, with respect to the palladium and thx lines. For the cost though their performance is unmatched. My small rsx setup was the second setup i purchased for my smaller living room. The basement has a 7.1 rf-7 setup that is pretty disgusting. I haven't finished the basement setup, but when I auditioned them, they sounded GREAT!

• Like 1

Please call mike at acoustic sound design for best prices. Skip the 82's go with rf-62ii and don't get the rc-52ii the rc-62ii is WAY BETTER!!! Rf-62ii plus RC-62ii shipped to your door should be around 1050-1100. And yes reference will smoke the icon series in every aspect.

Thanks for the advice, that seems like it may be the way to go and not much more than I already planned to spend. I will call Mike tomorrow and see what I can get. I will update with what I get.

Dreadneck13,

Where are you located?? Most would jump in and say yes, but only you know how much you can afford to spend?? I suggest you list where you are and see if a forum member with a reference system will invite you over for a listen. How big is your listening room?? Used Heritage sounds even better and can be had for even less if you have the space and your wife doesn't mind the look.

Roger

I am in South Florida, I have a decent size living room and it is open to the kitchen and front entrance. I have a large wall with a 70in TV and plenty of room for any size speakers.

I'm not against spending some money I'd rather spend 1500 on something awesome than 900 on something that is ok. I want to make sure I am not just tossing money away though and that the difference is worth it.I want to get the biggest bang for the buck!

• Moderators
I'm not against spending some money I'd rather spend 1500 on something awesome than 900 on something that is ok. I want to make sure I am not just tossing money away though and that the difference is worth it.I want to get the biggest bang for the buck!

You are wise in your thinking. Honestly, the best thing you can do is to try and listen to as many Klipsch speakers as you can. As you can see from the photos on my computer, I've owned a HUGE amount of Reference over the past 7 years. Although I have not heard the Icon Series (other than what was on the shelf in Best Buy), I can vouch that the Reference Series are fantastic for HT. Scrappy is right, I would DEFINITELY bypass the RC-52. It was so disappointing to my ears. The RC-62 is a significant improvement.

list-of-speakers.jpg

It just so happens that you live in probably the greatest state to find some KILLER deals on used Klipsch speakers. I've found one or two good deals myself including my deal of a lifetime and absolutely love Craigslist because of that.

If you are ever up between Tampa & Orlando, shoot me a PM and you can stop by and hear several different Reference setups for yourself.

Just a few weeks ago, I purchased my first pair of LaScalas and it's ruined my entire HT. I'm now having to upgrade from a 103" to a 150" Acoustic Transparent screen and rebuild my entire false wall. :D As MUCH as I loved my RF-83 system, the LaScalas are that much better (at least in midrange, clarity & detail).

Might want to check and see what models these are and this center channel for $50.

• Moderators

I really am trying to share....honest. :D

There are only a few Klipsch speakers left on my "Klipsch Bucket List" that I would like to buy sometime to hear in my own home. Good news is my bucket list is getting really tiny now.

Maybe the Belle and RT-12. Not sure there is anything else I really want to demo in my own home. I know Rog will say JUBES! Likely not ever going to happen.

Youth,

Just keep rolling those copper colored speakers at a profit and put it into a Jubilee fund. I know where I can get you hooked up on a listen...

Rog

Thanks everyone! I just spoke to Mike at Acoustic Sound Design! He was very helpful and answered all my questions. So now I have a pair of the Rf-62ii (2x) along with the RC-62ii on its way! The price couldn't be beat so it was a no brainer. Thanks again for the recommendation. Now I just need to return the Icons to Best Buy :).

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I just spoke to Mike at Acoustic Sound Design! He was very helpful and answered all my questions. So now I have a pair of the Rf-62ii (2x) along with the RC-62ii on its way! The price couldn't be beat so it was a no brainer. Thanks again for the recommendation. Now I just need to return the Icons to Best Buy :).

boom! You will be very happy for sure!

• Moderators

boom! You will be very happy for sure!

Scrappydue, you enabler you. :lol:

• Moderators

No more speaker for you!!!! :P

WOW really

Youthman put away the mouse and step away from craiglist :o

But to be fair you did it the smart way, kept the ones you liked and set the rest free, like a free test drive. :emotion-21:

congrats on some great speakers :D

Scrappydue, you enabler you.
i only try to help others not make the same "mistakes" i did by overpaying and give as much advice as i can on all the speakers i have heard. same as youth. i like to hear em all that way i have an arsenal of knowledge for the curious ones
  • Like 1