whats with the old threads showing up

joshnich

i am starting to think that there is a joke that Im not in on ( wouldnt be the first time!) . But there have been a number of threads that have recently showed up that are years old. And they show up without a new bump or post.

and then they stay on the first page without anyone posting "hey this thread is 10 years old..."

What gives?

J

I know you can bump it without posting, but I don't know who or why they are doing it. I have this thought that maybe some one out there trying to educate as these are some of the questions that have been asked. Maybe someone knows that bumping these might get our attention so we read and learn something I don't know maybe not.

There is more than one reason, including helping others find old threads that might be more generally useful to the present readership, having severe issues trying to locate older threads because forum search functions are not working due in part to web site re-hosting issues over time, broken links, default text formatting changes that are not controllable by end users, and even perhaps forum search limiting by web administrators in order to limit the load on their host servers.

Clearly the success of this forum over the years in generating good information is now seen as a liability for those that aren't harvesting its present or historical value. Too bad, really. These issues have already caused some information to be migrated to other forums more willing to preserve the information record. What's interesting to me is that there isn't a concerted attempt here to capture, distill, and archive the best information in a way that is easily retrievable by newcomers.

YMMV

Edited by Chris A

there isn't a concerted attempt here to capture, distill, and archive the best information in a way that is easily retrievable by newcomers

Not much use of stickies either. The crossover thread and serial number thread should both be stickied.

• Like 1

• Moderators
What's interesting to me is that there isn't a concerted attempt here to capture, distill, and archive the best information in a way that is easily retrievable by newcomers.

It's a good idea, but there's just no time. It would have to be a very concentrated effort by someone who could verify the knowledge as completely accurate. I'm not the person for that job. :)

Fair enough.

I would think that part of the "value proposition" for the Klipsch brand is this forum's information. It probably wasn't the goal of the company when the forum started, and now represents a non-trivial investment in time and resources. Perhaps there are alternatives to having one site hold all the information - but I don't feel comfortable making recommendations on alternatives.

To be clear, the issue here is higher value information as judged by readership (members asking for and receiving help)--and not wholesale thread archiving across the forum. Some of the information would be better presented if distilled into "FAQs" or wiki pages. However, I've also found a reticence by typical forum users to spend a little time/effort setting up the wiki pages, even though they are really simple to set up. Clearly, having volunteers do the work is the only sustainable approach that I've witnessed-such as the Wikipedia model.

Perhaps there is a workable alternative that is good for both users and Klipsch, since this is is potentially a win-win scenario.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Some of these older threads are more confusing than enlightening. Some are close to 10 years old and are discussing issues resolved long ago with solutions that may not be the best solutions currently. They are confounding - interesting - but confounding. They should be somehow denoted as archival so as to be recognized more easily. And I have no idea how they're getting revived either. Had one I initiated away back in 2005 surface. Its naivete approached embarrassing.

There is more than one reason, including helping others find old threads that might be more generally useful to the present readership,

Clearly the success of this forum over the years in generating good information is now seen as a liability for those that aren't harvesting its present or historical value. Too bad, really. These issues have already caused some information to be migrated to other forums more willing to preserve the information record. What's interesting to me is that there isn't a concerted attempt here to capture, distill, and archive the best information in a way that is easily retrievable by newcomers.

You have a very "high road" approach to an explanation, a much more benevolent approach than I have. I applaud you for that.

However, I'm a newcomer, and I haven't felt the need to revive 15 or 20 topics from 5 or 10 years ago with no explanation or comment. The person doing this and their reasons for doing so, must be put into a box I call "awaiting further light."

Edited by wvu80

You have a very "high road" approach to an explanation, a much more benevolent approach than I have. I applaud you for that...However, I'm a newcomer, and I haven't felt the need to revive 15 or 20 topics from 5 or 10 years ago with no explanation or comment. The person doing this and their reasons for doing so, must be put into a box I call "awaiting further light."

Please note that I've personally hit the "Bump Thread" button maybe once since last fall's re-hosting exercise created the opportunity to do that without having to post a new entry.

I believe that the fact that thread bumping is happening isn't necessarily a bad thing since it shows that there is focused interest by largely newcomers, i.e., users new to the forum from the last few years, and in certain types of informational areas. This is a symptom, clearly not a witch hunt.

The alternative, of course, is that the forum readership simply dries up. If you have noticed there has been a great deal of "rehashing" of recurring themes by the present readership or increased focus on non-audio topics, which is itself a symptom of other issues. I believe that I mentioned once before that this site isn't Facebook, and Facebook is a much better place to share personal information stories. YMMV.

I believe that the only sustainable win-win theme that I see here is a continued focus on audio and other things that bring value to both the provider of the forum and its users.

Wouldn't you agree?

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Oh, there is a bump this thread option!? I didnt know it was possible to do that and thought we just had zombie threads coming back on their own.

Now that I know there is a bump this thread option, I am actually shocked that more threads are not anonymously bumped.

J

Funny, but in reading some of the posts in the various "why did this old topic get bumped" threads that have been popping up, reminds me of the old Twilight Zone episode called "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street." Yep, I'm an old Twilight Zone fan.....

If you are not familiar, here is the Wiki link and IMDB link. Take a look and see if you can match the characters in the episode with any of the posters in these threads. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734664/

I have this thought that maybe some one out there trying to educate as these are some of the questions that have been asked. Maybe someone knows that bumping these might get our attention so we read and learn something I don't know maybe not.

I've linked a couple in threads where you and others have asked specific questions. I remember one instances (think Jamboree build threads where I found links for you and Dr Who), the topic seemed broad and relevant enough I bumped them and did not post primarily to keep the "clutter" out of the threads and most I have not bumped as I believed that they were too specific for the general forum population to appreciate or be interested.

There is more than one reason, including helping others find old threads that might be more generally useful to the present readership, having severe issues trying to locate older threads because forum search functions are not working due in part to web site re-hosting issues over time, broken links, default text formatting changes that are not controllable by end users, and even perhaps forum search limiting by web administrators in order to limit the load on their host servers.

YMMV

Agreed. As noted to duder1982, I bumped the Jamboree builds because I knew that more than he would appreciate the thread, in addition to others that I'm aware of contemplating the Jamboree build. I also try to keep clutter out of the threads when possible.

This last forum conversion destroyed my "database" as I had bookmarked threads (by page of interest) that I had "categorized" or had copied and pasted the links into "worksheets" where I wanted the quick references as I was evaluating directions I wanted to take with my Klipsch speakers. However, they are all worthless links and I probably cannot recreate since it took me a few years of reading and evaluating what may have been worthwhile to me.

You have a very "high road" approach to an explanation, a much more benevolent approach than I have. I applaud you for that...However, I'm a newcomer, and I haven't felt the need to revive 15 or 20 topics from 5 or 10 years ago with no explanation or comment. The person doing this and their reasons for doing so, must be put into a box I call "awaiting further light."

Please note that I've personally hit the "Bump Thread" button maybe once since last fall's re-hosting exercise created the opportunity to do that without having to post a new entry.

I believe that the fact that thread bumping is happening isn't necessarily a bad thing since it shows that there is focused interest by largely newcomers, i.e., users new to the forum from the last few years, and in certain types of informational areas. This is a symptom, clearly not a witch hunt.

The alternative, of course, is that the forum readership simply dries up. If you have noticed there has been a great deal of "rehashing" of recurring themes by the present readership or increased focus on non-audio topics, which is itself a symptom of other issues. I believe that I mentioned once before that this site isn't Facebook, and Facebook is a much better place to share personal information stories. YMMV.

I believe that the only sustainable win-win theme that I see here is a continued focus on audio and other things that bring value to both the provider of the forum and its users.

Wouldn't you agree?

Chris

I keep reading many posts by Dean, among others that tend to "pine away" for the old days in that they do not have any of the technical gurus contributing. I don't mind the "facebook" type topics in the "lounge" as I do visit the lounge on occasion; however, it is painful to read through the multitude of posts on the technical threads to get to the portion of the discussion that is actually usable (the reason why I had so many things book marked by page). Just like any thread topic, many just dive in and post without considering the audience, context of discussion, age of thread, etc., and then the friction begins. I tend to look at it as just another side of human nature revealing itself.

Wouldn't you agree?

Chris

I agree, to a degree, Chris. I also believe there is a growth process involved, and because of that, it is natural and normal that people will come and go from this site, according to their own growth and needs.

When a newbie such as myself first joins, everything is interesting. New equipment, new people, lots of learning. The problem is, that after a while, talking over and over about the openness of the mid-range of one speaker vs another reaches a saturation point for some forum veterans, and then other "off-topic" things become more interesting.

I think Klipsch has provided a nice meeting place for people interested in their product. There are enough posting sub-forums so people at differing points in their personal growth can still remain and find items, or people of interest, to talk with.

Some come for the education, but stay for the entertainment. It's all good. B)

When a newbie such as myself first joins, everything is interesting. New equipment, new people, lots of learning. The problem is, that after a while, talking over and over about the openness of the mid-range of one speaker vs another reaches a saturation point for some forum veterans, and then other "off-topic" things become more interesting. I think Klipsch has provided a nice meeting place for people interested in their product. There are enough posting sub-forums so people at differing points in their personal growth can still remain and find items, or people of interest, to talk with.

Well put.