whats with the old threads showing up

joshnich

Funny, but in reading some of the posts in the various "why did this old topic get bumped" threads that have been popping up, reminds me of the old Twilight Zone episode called "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street."...I've linked a couple in threads where you and others have asked specific questions....and did not post primarily to keep the "clutter" out of the threads and most I have not bumped as I believed that they were too specific for the general forum population to appreciate or be interested...I also try to keep clutter out of the threads when possible.

This last forum conversion destroyed my "database" as I had bookmarked threads (by page of interest) that I had "categorized" or had copied and pasted the links into "worksheets" where I wanted the quick references as I was evaluating directions I wanted to take with my Klipsch speakers. However, they are all worthless links and I probably cannot recreate since it took me a few years of reading and evaluating what may have been worthwhile to me.

...I keep reading many posts...among others that tend to "pine away" for the old days in that they do not have any of the technical gurus contributing...it is painful to read through the multitude of posts on the technical threads to get to the portion of the discussion that is actually usable (the reason why I had so many things book marked by page). Just like any thread topic, many just dive in and post without considering the audience, context of discussion, age of thread, etc., and then the friction begins. I tend to look at it as just another side of human nature revealing itself.

I'll take these comments at face value--and agree in general due to my increased concern for this forum. I was very disappointed when all the old links were made obsolescent by the new hosting software and graphics links in the old postings were disconnected from their thread postings.

After that experience, I collected some ideas from my own postings and merged them with some new information, thus forming a couple of wiki-based FAQs that I had to post on another audio forum, since this one doesn't support wiki articles. I'd really prefer not to have to continue to do that, as well as watch as potentially strong future technical contributors to this forum get turned off.

Without continued technical audio contributions to this forum, I believe that it will effectively cease to live as an audio forum for new folks coming here looking for audio help with their Klipsch and related audio products. That's why I come here - for audio discussions.

Many more people that I would have otherwise expected that I know from this forum--and that I still gain audio insights from--no longer visit here regularly and their expected replacements seem to have mostly vanished. I believe that there needs to be a balance of those that know their stuff mixed with the folks that are still learning. Unfortunately, that situation seems to be changing. The older technical threads now apparently hold the greatest user attention for newcomers in terms of audio, and now seem to be most prevalent...and that's too bad.

There's a lot to talk about in audio. I like Klipsch product discussions here without having to do the obligatory "Klipsch apologetics" in other forums.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

It's a good idea, but there's just no time. It would have to be a very concentrated effort by someone who could verify the knowledge as completely accurate. I'm not the person for that job.

No one could fill that job, as there's no such thing as "completely accurate" information. Everything in this world is relative, not absolute, eh?

There's a lot to talk about in audio. I like Klipsch product discussions here without having to do the obligatory "Klipsch apologetics" in other forums. Chris

Apologize for greater clarity, lower distortion, and sounding more like live music with superior transient response?

I went to Axpona a few weeks back. Too bad Klipsch wasn't represented there, as I'm sure the Palladium P-39's would have stood up to many way overpriced direct radiator speakers there. Not naming names yet.

The best setup there as far as "feeling the band was on stage" came from master tapes on a Sadurni all-horn system. One web reviewer named it best sound at show and I agree.

I came home and felt my Klipsch Pro and Klipsch derived all-horn setup was 90% as good in half the space for 1/10th the price.

Klipschers never need to apologize. Not even to JBL. LOL.

Some of the information would be better presented if distilled into "FAQs" or wiki pages

If I could get help, I would be willing to take a go at this. I don't think we need you or the dr. to set down and right a strait up tutorial. But let say you know of post, or Fjd knows of post that would help a lot of questions, we could put them on a wiki page or Q&A page. Which I would think post a link in my sig.

I know there could be issues, as what is relevant what isn't. But the first thing noted would be a disclaimer of some sort. I know there is a lot of info on this forum. How could we filter it to take out all the chit chat here and there, so peeps like me don't fall asleep reading it 5 pages in and still nothing to learn other then, its what sounds good to me.

Again I am sure we will run into problems 10-15 years down the road if Klipsch redoes the forum and the links become broken. But I think its worth a shot.

• Like 1

I like when people bump the good old threads. Lots to learn and not nearly enough time. Bump the knowledge! Some info is stale although interesting to read when the elders learned certain things and other bumped old threads just shine light on interesting info...I wish more of the good threads were bumped!

• Like 1

Okay we get it.......some come here for audio discussions only! There are those here who get excited by graphs and charts and the technical content that some of the rest of us could care less about. We appreciate your participation and what you add to the forum. Since I joined in 2005 there has been General Discussion for all other topics of interest and now we have the Lounge where folks can feel apart of the group even if they don't know a tube from a transistor. A place where newbies can get their feet wet and not be intimidated. That is why the forum is divided into different areas of interest. If you are not interested in 3 Minutes To Miller Time (one of the longest run threads) or Right This Minute.....then move on to what you are interested in. I do not agree that every topic other than technical threads are Facebook like post. That is insulting to many here. That would be like me telling a tech head to go to the DIY forum or to John W.'s forum.

We are a community and in a community there are varied interest. I don't usually rant but a couple of post here from folks telling us what is viable and what will sustain this forum has annoyed me to no end. For the record post count means little to me. I have learned from newbies and veterans alike. I do not share one poster's fear for this forum. If we allow each other to contribute where we can......the little nuggets we mine will continue to snowball as it has for the nine years I have been here

Rant over.

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 2

That is why the forum is divided into different areas of interest. If you are not interested in 3 Minutes To Miller Time (one of the longest run threads) or Right This Minute.....then move on to what you are interested in.

Did you know that they made a remake during 2003 called "The Monsters Are on Maple Street" which was episode #32 of the 2002 short-lived revival of the Twilight Zone, which was an update of "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street" for the paranoia, hysteria, frenzy, panic & emotional madness going on during that time in our lives?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_on_Maple_Street

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734808/

I suspect that anyone that doesn't want to read the 'bumped' topics could also follow your advice. However, it seems that these threads about the bumped topics are quickly turning into some of the more interesting for folks. :emotion-14:

On a side note, I did a quick calculation and there are ~ 34,800 members on the forum. If only 1% logged on and bumped a topic, that would be 348 old threads to the top immediately. :wacko:B)

Edited by Fjd

And to be clear I enjoy the old threads......however they arrive. If they hold no interest I move on. Its always fun to see Duke's avatar and momentarily get excited thinking that he is back....only to realize that thread was from 2005.

• Like 1

And to be clear I enjoy the old threads......however they arrive. If they hold no interest I move on...

The flipside is that you click on them expecting to find something new and when not finding anything wonder why it was bumped in the first place...It's not that it takes so much effort to click and disregard as much as it would be to click and then wonder. :huh:

• Like 1

There's a lot to talk about in audio. I like Klipsch product discussions here without having to do the obligatory "Klipsch apologetics" in other forums. Chris

Apologize for greater clarity, lower distortion, and sounding more like live music with superior transient response?

Exactly! I'm really sorry my sound system has those qualities, because it is embarrassing to visitors who don't have horns.

Edited by Garyrc

I would like to nominate Chris' epic Corner Horn Imaging thread (where he clearly put tons of effort compiling pages and pages of info) for inclusion in the FAQ sub-thread, if it ever happens.

Yes! That was one of the most helpful threads ever, and brought about changes in our music room/HT. Chris, if you're reading this, thank you.

Edited by Garyrc

I would like to nominate Chris' epic Corner Horn Imaging thread (where he clearly put tons of effort compiling pages and pages of info) for inclusion in the FAQ sub-thread, if it ever happens.

Yes! That was one of the most helpful threads ever, and brought about changes in our music room/HT. Chris, if you're reading this, thank you.

Yes, Well done, my friend....

Interestingmanclapping.gif

• Like 1

Interestingmanclapping.gif

Another BOXX exclusive!

• Moderators

I don't have a problem with old threads popping back up really, some were really good. Like Tarheal if I don't like it I just skip it, simple as that.

There were some characters back then just like today, does anyone remember HornEd , Mobilhomeless , Parrot, or the guy pretending to be a female, can't remember it's name.

• Like 1

Another BOXX exclusive!

Thanks guys.

Edited by Chris A