Which LaScala?

Which of these would you recommend for me to audition, and possibly purchase? I would definitely need to repaint both, but they have different crossovers, green have AA, black Al-3. I really want something from the Heritage series, and have been posting about CW's, but cannot find any close to me and if I like the sound, I think these will give me my Klipsch fix. Thanks for any insight!

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/4466757939.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/4476995594.html

Get them critters as cheap as you can, ya got to figure no matter what you by, instantly your looking at crossovers $385 & Up.

I have a tech friend that can rebuild them for me for $25, if I buy the kits. What would be the second item to upgrade, woofers?

• Like 1

Personally I would go with the black versions with the AL-3's. You're going to have to paint anyway, so might as well get the 55m and the 401 horn. Unless they have been wet or have badly damaged cabs. AL-3 caps are cheap for both sides too.

I would just buy them and enjoy them. Spend some time listenering to them and experiment with how you locate them in the room. Eventually, you may want to refresh the caps, but that will certainly not cost the $385 figure quoted above. I did my AAs for $25 per side.

There is so much talk around here about the need to upgrade etc. This ignores the fact that they sound pretty good in their stock form. While the "upgrades" are sometimes improvements, they are not nearly as dramatic as some claim.

Just my opinion ....

edit: BTW, if the woofers are working then leave them alone.

Edited by PrestonTom
  • Like 2

I would just buy them and enjoy them. Spend some time listenering to them and experiment with how you locate them in the room. Eventually, you may want to refresh the caps, but that will certainly not cost the $385 figure quoted above. I did my AAs for $25 per side.

There is so much talk around here about the need to upgrade etc. This ignores the fact that they sound pretty good in their stock form. While the "upgrades" are sometimes improvements but they are not nearly as dramatic as some claim.

Just my opinion ....

Very true and i am guilty for suggesting updates etc...I have just been amazed by new or updated crossovers too many times it seems...Will say my favorite speakers sit with nearly 20 yr old crossovers and I do not see redoing them anytime soon...

I agree get them and enjoy...if you get tired of them or wonder put some money into them a little at a time...just get them and enjoy! Good new speakers(new too you older the better imo(klipsch of course!)!) are like being born again...especially when they have the klipsch label!! cheers!!!

I agree with Preston Tom. I have 2 pair, one with AA and one with AL:-3. I thought about upgrading many times, but damn, they sound awesome as they are- so why bother!! Maybe some day- but for now I am just enjoying the hell out of them!!

Good Luck

The black set is newer and probably late 80's to early 90's. I don't mind the green set, but stripping the blue paint off the mid horns or having them sandblasted might be a mess. On the other hand I would check for cabinet separation on the black set....looks like they have been around the block a time or two.

Well, I showed the wife these, and she,(like me) think the best course is to go with the Cornscala C's. Don't get me wrong, I really love the community here, but Cornscala seems really hard to beat for the price, and the best of both worlds is the most awesome part of the deal. I really try hardto get Klipsch, but it's really hard to find anything decent close by, without having to drive for long miles @3.30+ per gallon for gas, and then getting something used, replacing Xovers, or whatever's broken, the Cornscala's just seem like my best bet/value. Many thanks to all, and I really think I'll eventually(officially) join the community with Heresy iii's. I'm really fascinated by these little guys! Many, many thanks, and best wishes to all!

There is so much talk around here about the need to upgrade etc. This ignores the fact that they sound pretty good in their stock form. While the "upgrades" are sometimes improvements, they are not nearly as dramatic as some claim.

Just my opinion ....

edit: BTW, if the woofers are working then leave them alone.

^^ This

And at the risk of annoying some on the forum... when (if) the time does come that you want to explore higher performance from them, do a search on 'Jubescala' and see what some might say about taking them to a 2-way format with an active crossover. Be warned, there will be those who will insist it's complicated and expensive. It isn't.

If I can do it, literally anyone can do it so that shoots down complicated. Expensive? That depends on you & Mr. Budget. I once upgraded my LaScala crossovers and as I recall, spent somewhere near $1,200/$1,300 to do so. So you can go the passive route and still go "expensive". There are a range of flavors in every fork in the road.

I would take the avocado ones with the blue horns. The green could be worse, and the blue horns could be repainted very easily and cheaply. They look to be in good shape physically.

The slightly higher price is still reasonable.

Bruce