RE The Non Pilgrimage of 2014

From what I gather, there is no other planned get together this spring / summer. FWIW, I have moved again, having started a new job at The National Cancer Institute, part of the NIH in the DC area. Awesome job, but I do miss New Orleans. Any members from the DC area, please say hello !! In the meantime, let’s for some type of GTG in 2015, even if informal and not in conjunction with Klipsch as a company.
NOLA, you have a PM.

FWIW, I have moved again, having started a new job at The National Cancer Institute, part of the NIH in the DC area. Awesome job, but I do miss New Orleans. Any members from the DC area, please say hello !! In the meantime, let’s for some type of GTG in 2015, even if informal and not in conjunction with Klipsch as a company.
NOLA, you have a PM.

Steve Kovats aka fyrpwr said he wasn't going to bring his to play at the super 8. A pair of KP-600 stacks is supposed to be enough sound reinforcement for 2,500 people.

What hearing I have left I'd like to keep. While I'd love to hear these beasties if they are going to be running at 100db or more I'll be elsewhere. I like "realistic" levels, but I don't know of anything that develops much over 100db except calliopes and theater organs. Why crank something to the point you have to be a 100 yards away to be safe?

We aren't going to have 2500 people and don't need that much reach. As mentioned, besides being a safety hazard there's probably no place in the county where you can get power where that much devastation could be unleashed.

JMHO...and subject to override by the majority.

Dave

Same page, Carl. I really like loud, clean music, but see no point in damaging levels. Really big outdoor speakers are meant to be heard from at least a hundred feet or more. You can get the same apparent loudness level from 20 feet or so with a LOT less sound bleed as well as it being MUCH safer.

Would it be fun to take those puppies down to the Red River bottoms, hook them up, and blast the woods all to hell? Damn right...but not really necessary. It would be very interesting to have them 75 feet or so apart and listen from the opposite bank.

Dave

its in the books...looking like the heresy set will be at the super 8...the kp-600's will be in hope and jamming elsewhere regardless...I have yet to hear of 1 person that does not want to hear super efficient kp600 stacks other than dave...blessings dave...sorry man but iv heard much louder and it aint gonna stop now...bring your plugs!

Beeker, wish I'd had plugs when I was subjected to the sustained 100db plus engine noises that cost me my high frequency hearing in my right ear. It isn't funny, and nobody is immune. Once done, you're done.

As these things often get "spun,' you'll find absolutely NOTHING in my comments to suggest I want to hear them, and hear them loud. Just not dangerously loud. It's not responsible behavior.

However, I've no intention of either correcting anyone else's behavior or behaving well myself...

But I hope someone will confiscate my keys if I try to drive drunk, make sure I don't play with fire, monkey with someone else's monkey, or get in the line of fire of dangerously high SPLs. :D

Dave

I know its no joke...talk to my fiance! youll meet her...each eardrum she has replaced 3 times...not once or twice...3 times each...

Its not about loud its about efficiency. Iv had people say now do your ears hurt and they were serious...i have stood in front of more stacks than i can remember(trust me i have lost my memory lol hearing go for it...my ears are built for good noise) and im not about to steer clear from klipsch kp-600's....

Im fairly good at signing my moms def

• Like 1

I have to state the fact that nobody is going to lose their hearing...i am very familiar with this process..if you did you misused the equipment! I have put myself in harms way so many times...last thing im gonna worry about....

If somebody feals in danger hang at the super 8 with some heresys...blessings!!

Yeah CEC...I will buy a pair from you for my fiance!

Would it be fun to take those puppies down to the Red River bottoms, hook them up, and blast the woods all to hell? Damn right...but not really necessary. It would be very interesting to have them 75 feet or so apart and listen from the opposite bank.
I just happen to have about 200 acres available on the bloody Red that would work.

I just happen to have about 200 acres available on the bloody Red that would work.

You got power there? Or do we need generators?

I've got a bag of ear plugs at the house and would be happy to pass them out to anyone that feels inclined to use them.

Isn't that like saying you have Kevlar vests and gas masks if anyone wants to be in the line of fire?

I want to HEAR these things, and be able to hear no worse than I can now once I've done so. I measured 130db from my K'horns once...kept it there for about 3 seconds as I just wanted to know how loud I could get and also had some idea from the work I do where the "edge of damage" would be.

Almost any large speaker can play too loud. K'horns can do it and do it without distortion...but that doesn't help with the ears. Big sound isn't a function of volume IMHO. Big speakers can deliver a marvelous wide, expansive, deep soundstage. That's what I want to hear. If I want just want loud, I can stand next to a truck whilst pulling the horn.

Dave

There was a reason I mentioned it!

Dave

I am lobbying to get to go however, the bride seems to think that taking the kids to Disney World two weeks before will prevent me from attending. She tells me to go this summer while they are in Korea...........timing.