Zu audio - anyone give a listen?

DEP14

Just wondering if anyone has much experience with the Zu audio stuff? Reviews say they are dynamic but just wondering if anyone has compared them to Klipsch in that regard?

Was kicking around a set of used Omen Def's to try.

I have heard their top of the line speaker several different times when going to custom audio shops. The speaker were massive as well as the Boulder amp as I recall. They sound great with a price tage of over $120k for the amp and speakers. The pair of towers combined weight was around 900 lb. They were on wheels. The finish was exotic and I can still see them in my mind. I was looking at Focal, Dynaudio, McIntosh and some other brands. All in all, when I left the shop, I thought my Reference stuff and Yamaha M80 was pretty awesome looking at the price difference. Before spending that kind of money, serious room Tx;s with measurements should be done. This may net the biggest improvement in sound. Klipsch may not look as fancy as some of the upper level speakers but, sound great in comparison. I guess it is like buying a Rolex.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

I guess it is like buying a Rolex.

You hit that right on the head. Many under 10K a pair speakers can blow you away. Moving to 30K very likely won't yield 2% improvement. Once you get into this range, 99% of the time you are talking about statements, not sound.

Even in the 2k range there is a ton of used stuff out there or even building yourself, I wouldn't be looking at Zu.... IMHO.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be looking at Zu.... :emotion-21: I have to agree on that

for myself around the 3k price range is a good spot for a decent pair of speakers

I only posted that link because if one was going to buy Zu that's a good price

Edited by A1UC
  • Like 1

Took a gander at the Zu website. They go from crazy expensive down to the reference and heritage range. Appear to be very efficient speakers. I've never heard them personally but I think they are mentioned on Audiogon every so often.

I had a pair of the later model Omens. I wasn't thrilled with the sound but they were OK. They are trying to get high fidelity sound out of a professional driver augmenting it with a super-tweeter. The high end and low end is respectable but there was some lacking in mid-range openness for me. I worked a trade with my buddy and he absolutely loves them? His wife likes them too as they replaced some Belle's that were taking up way too much real estate for her liking.

I have had a couple pair of the ZU speakers, definition and definition pro to be exact, If you are looking for an easy one box speaker they are nice

The def and def pro had the built in 4 10" bass drivers on the rear and IMHO they are great speakers however need some experience to get set up right.

That said I see there prices have risen a bit and for the same money I agree you could easily build a horn speaker that would be much better.

I had a set of the Omen Defs with the matching center and recently sold them. IMHO the mids were awesome. The dialog from the center was the best that I have heard. That being said I am comparing the mids to the likes of the Chorus II and Quartet of which I like. The lows were punchy but did not seem to match the Klipsch in that department. One afternoon I put my modified KLF 10s into the rotation and the Zu's never made it back in due to the fun factor.

My exp from customers has been that their report of 97db effic is not realistic... more likely 94db. So there soundstage becomes dependant on how much power is driving them.

I think 15watts to 60watts is realist for most Zu speakers in moderate sized rooms.

Regarding the sound... many seem to enjoy tramendiously... There bookshelf/stand mont looks like a winner for smaller rooms, but there are tons and tons of speakers in that range so personal pref becomes most important.

The lager floor standers with the sub would are nice due to the small footprint, but should be compaired with similar speakers (size and price wise) Vandersteen 2Cs :-).