Heresy vs. Heresy II questions

Hi I am new here. I bought a nice pair of Heresy II speakers this week and found a pair of older Heresy speakers for a friend.

We compared them an his first model seemed to have more depth/bottom bass response than my Heresy II's. His had a cap job/maintenance done.

My questions are:

1. Do the older Heresy models just have more bass response than the Heresy II's?

2. Will a cap job on mine result in a deeper bass response?

Thanks for your help as I contemplate a cap job.

NewKlipschfan,

Welcome to the forum.

I own both HI's and HII's though I have never AB'd them in the same room with same gear and with same source material. My HI's are recapped and have the CT125 tweeters. My HI's do appear to have snappier and punchier bass though I can't say they dig deeper nor can I say the reason for the difference is the because of the mods. My HI's sit in a room that is 13ft x 13ft x10ft while my HII's are in a 13.5ft x 20ft x 10ft room. Many variables in my situation.

Did you A-B the two pairs in the same room with same gear with same music?

Apart from all of that, your HII's definitely "can" benefit from a new cap refreshing or even all new crossovers.

Bill

I have Hi's and H2" as well. I just had the H2's recapped by Bob Critiz. The H2's have better bass response that any of my three sets of H1's. One of the H1's has been recapped but I do not know by whom. When I compare the H1's (capped and recapped) I cannot tell any difference (they all sound very good).

I have Hi's and H2" as well. I just had the H2's recapped by Bob Critiz. The H2's have better bass response that any of my three sets of H1's. One of the H1's has been recapped but I do not know by whom. When I compare the H1's (capped and recapped) I cannot tell any difference (they all sound very good).

Was expecting the same when comparing with my friends and was surprised with the result.

Tell your friend the h2's sound better and get the original heresys from him! jk :)

Try an eq...it will help you get more bass as well...iv had my share of all kinds of heresy' and still do...the variables are quite vast as to how they sound...#1 use them on the floor no stand to get the best bass response...if you dont use an eq or update crossovers and even if you do...try a 12" powered sub with them....The eq and possibly updated/new crossovers will help...a cheap old eq(or new high dollar, imo they all do their job) eq in my opinion is key to running half the heresys iv had in true 2ch with no sub..descent crossovers help..

Best of luck! even running them as is i can get use to the sound of near any heresy in near any condition...very dynamic and ovely sound for music and surround sound..

Hey! Stick around for a while...you sound like your interested in klipsch...heresy are sweeet! a little searching etc..on the forum you will learn so much on how to make them heresys sing like no other! Blessings!

Do the speakers get brighter sounding as the caps get older and drift?
Usually, they will sound more dull as the caps deteriorate.

I personally like HIIs over the originals by a long shot. The HIIs sound a lot more balanced to me, but a lot of folks have done a small crossover mod on the originals to bring the mids down a little bit so that the bass seems louder.

Bruce

Hi I am new here. I bought a nice pair of Heresy II speakers this week and found a pair of older Heresy speakers for a friend.

We compared them an his first model seemed to have more depth/bottom bass response than my Heresy II's. His had a cap job/maintenance done.

My questions are:

1. Do the older Heresy models just have more bass response than the Heresy II's?

2. Will a cap job on mine result in a deeper bass response?

Thanks for your help as I contemplate a cap job.

You can see what you need to know from the posted factory specs below. Fresh caps are a good idea given the age and will help your Heresy and Heresy ll sound better. You can do a few simple things to your H2 which will help in the bass dept. First insure that all the opening gaskets are in good working order. Than goes for the woofer both horns and the terminal cup AND the real baffle, all must be air tight. You can stuff the interior with regular home fiberglass insulation batting. I would say stuff the cabinet as firmly as you can. Don't use polyfil or foam they will only eat up volume and are very poor at low frequencies (sub 100 Hz.). There are other things that you can do but they are not for the first time modifier while these are easy, simple to do and very inexpensive. Hope this is of interest and helps. Best regards Moray James.

You can if you want build new larger reflex vented cabinets which will give you bass into the mid 30 Hz range with your woofer. see the attached link

http://mysite.verizon.net/res12il11/id76.html

Heresy factory specs

Frequency Response:

50Hz-17kHz(+-)5dB SENSITIVITY: 96dB @ 1watt/1meter POWER HANDLING: 105 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak) NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms TWEETER: K-77-M 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn MIDRANGE DRIVER: K-55-V 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver MID FREQUENCY HORN: 80(o)x30(o) Exponential Horn WOOFER: K-22 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Birch Plywood or Veneered Lumbercore ENCLOSURE TYPE: Sealed DIMENSIONS: 21.4" (54.36cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) x 13.2" (33.53cm) WEIGHT: 55 lbs. (24.97kg) FINISHES: Walnut, Rosewood, Teak Oil, Walnut, Oak, Cherry Lacquer, Raw, Black Birch Built From: 1957 BUILT UNTIL: 1985

Heresy ll factory specs

Frequency Response: 63Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB SENSITIVITY: 97dB @ 1watt/1meter POWER HANDLING: 100 w max continuous (400 w peak) MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 114dB SPL MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 114dB SPL NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms TWEETER: K-76-K 1" (2.54cm) Polyetherimide diaphragm compression driver MIDRANGE: K-53-K 1.75" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver MID FREQUENCY HORN: Exponential Horn WOOFER: K-24-K 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF: 6000Hz

LF: 700Hz ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF ENCLOSURE TYPE: Sealed DIMENSIONS: 21.375" (54.29cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) x 13.25" (33.66cm) WEIGHT: 37 lbs. (16.8kg) FINISHES: Walnut lacquer, Mahogany Lacquer, Medium Oak lacquer, Unfinished Oak, Black Lacquer Built From: 1985 BUILT UNTIL: 2005

• Like 1

I believe Jim Hunter was the chief engineer who modified the Heresy into the Heresy II. He told me (in 1985) it was tough to design a tweeter that was as good as a K-77. The only reason he could do it is that it didn't have to be as efficient since it wasn't used in a Khorn or LaScala. It extended higher than a K-77. He also said the H II woofer (K-24?) extended a few Hertz. lower than the Heresy I woofer (K-22?). So it was, by Klipsch factory standards, a sound improvement.

The best thing you can do to improve either Heresy is to get twin 18" subwoofers for them so sit on. You will then get 20 Hz. bass AND raise the tweeters to where they should be.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 2

My HI's are recapped and have the CT125 tweeters. My HI's do appear to have snappier and punchier bass though I can't say they dig deeper nor can I say the reason for the difference is the because of the mods.
In my brief experience with the CT 125 tweeters, I heard greater articulation of highs from from it, and this produced a little greater articulation of bass notes. I suspect that's what you're hearing.

Even though the ranges of the tweeter and the woofer are some octaves apart, we are probably hearing more bass-note overtones from the tweeter, which would provide that greater definition. That's not necessarily a good thing, as treble instrument definition could overbalance mid-range definition. I switched back to the K-77's for that reason, but that was just my feeling about it.

• Like 2

I believe Jim Hunter was the chief engineer who modified the Heresy into the Heresy II. He told me (in 1985) it was tough to design a tweeter that was as good as a K-77. The only reason he could do it is that it didn't have to be as efficient. It extended higher than a K-77. He also said the H II woofer (K-24?) extended a few Hertz. lower than the Heresy I woofer (K-22?). So it was, by Klipsch factory standards, a sound improvement.

The best thing you can do to improve either Heresy is to get twin 18" subwoofers for them so sit on. You will then get 20 Hz. bass AND raise the tweeters to where they should be.

Perhaps the reason the H1 bass looks like it extends lower than the H II -- on paper -- is that the H I is speced at +/- 5 dB, and the H II at a more stringent +/- 3 dB.

My weird taste, for what it's worth: I like the H II better overall, but I like the sound of the old fashioned K-77 tweeter in the H I better -- it just sounds more real to me.

Also, please consider the amplification when evaluating bass response(depth, punchiness, speed) because it can matter.

For what it is worth, my Heresys never had that kick in the chest thump until I experimented with my first Acurus amp(A150). I had used other amps(Emotiva UMC-200, Marantz MA-500 & 700, B&K 4430) and vintage receivers as well but none of them had the noticeable punchy bass drive that the Acurus amp did. Since then I have used an even more variety of amplification(Anthem, Luxman, Acurus, Integra).

My point is, the right amp can play a big roll also.

Bill