The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
iteched

Amp Recommendations for single 16 Ohm 1956 Klipschorn

HI Guys,

I'm almost done rebuilding an old 1956 Klipschorn. The crossover network is finished (old K-500-5000), the old Stevens woofer has been rebuilt....and I'm about ready to start on the woodwork.

Since I only have one unit I would like to use a tube based mono amplifier to drive it. I think 5 - 15 watts should be fine.

The problem I'm running into is finding a tube amp designed for 16 ohm speakers.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Ed

I don't know much about tube amps but I picked up an old Challenger CHA 10 which I am told is basically a Bogen PA amp. It can be configured to handle 4, 8, 16 ohm speakers. I am sure there are other 50/60 era amps that allow the same kind of configuration.

I hooked it up to a of KG 1.5 and was quite impressed with the sound considering it was designed for PA applications.

Perhaps something like that will be a inexpensive place to start.

HI Guys,

I'm almost done rebuilding an old 1956 Klipschorn. The crossover network is finished (old K-500-5000), the old Stevens woofer has been rebuilt....and I'm about ready to start on the woodwork.

Since I only have one unit I would like to use a tube based mono amplifier to drive it. I think 5 - 15 watts should be fine.

The problem I'm running into is finding a tube amp designed for 16 ohm speakers.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Ed

Brook 2A3 push-pull.

HI Guys,

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Ed

Brook 2A3 push-pull.

That is a neat amp - and found some neat history about it. Finding one that works might be an adventure. :-)

HI Guys,

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Ed

You do realize you can use an amp rated for 8 ohms with no problem right ?

Something like this.

That is a very nice amplifier!

One rack space,

3PHASE_40K_adv.jpg

(about 40KW total)

I really like my Fisher 80-AZ monoblocks. I'm running them with KT66 tubes and they sound incredible. I need one more EL37 tube to make 4, and I will be swapping the KT66's out.

Something like this.

Is that based on the Brook 12A schematic?

I have a a 54 and 56 Khorn. I run them running with two MC250's in mono. They sound great. What finish do you have on yours, Mine is Prima Vera Lacquer.

McIntosh mc30 works well as power amp. And it is a mono block..

Thanks for the continued recommendations. :)

1. Regarding using an 8 Ohm amp - It was my understanding that its best (with tube amps) to have matching impedance. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. I have no problems building an amp (I have several guitar pedal projects on the bench at the moment but they will be done soon). If I'm wrong with #1 above then there are many kits to choose from or just build from the above mentioned schematic. I have a friend in Garland, TX that is a tube "genius" (he has a whole house FULL of tube radios - it is NUTS what he has) that can help if I build one from scratch.

3. The current finish on mine appears to be a "golden oak" type color. However, due to YEARS of sitting in an open mechanics shop its deteriorated quite a bit. Luckily there are no rotted areas. I'm about to build a rig to hold the speaker on its back so I can start prepping it for re-finishing. I'm still debating the color. I like cherry, redwood, or perhaps a satin black.

Here are some pics showing the unit right after I rescued it. You can see the years of dust buildup. I think I posted these here before about a year ago - please forgive the repost:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/iteched/Projects/IMG_0519_zps7c1f146f.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/iteched/Projects/055_zps56013412.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/iteched/Projects/054_zps7261be60.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/iteched/Projects/052_zps5b5dbbb9.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/iteched/Projects/053_zps46df7ba1.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/iteched/Projects/056_zpsf0fb2971.jpg

Edited by iteched

Cool iteched,

your speaker is only a month older than I am, I wonder how hard it would be to find a PAIR (ok, numbers will not be matching) that were made on my birthday, that would be really cool but really hard to find!

I think its pretty neat that this particular speaker is still made today - and in the same place. Crazy cost though - $4,500 each....that is a lot of cash.