Memorial Day... before it gets away from me....

Boxx

Dedicated to my son, pictured in my avatar, who is serving his country in the USAF in Germany.

And to all the men and women of our armed forces, past, present, and future.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 4

Dedicated to my son, pictured in my avatar, who is serving his country in the USAF in Germany.

Spent 20 years in the Coast Guard. My brother was in the Air Force and spent a few years in Bitburg, Germany. I believe that base is closed now.

• Like 1

Very nice indeed.....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to stop in and thank those that served, in the current thread.I could not find a current thread thanking those that did so much to get us through some very rough times. I may have overlooked it but I searched. So I just picked up the ever considerate Boxx thread.

Of course its the day we remember all those family and friends that have gone on.

So....THANKS to all those that have served this Country, and the world by extension. My Dad was in WWII, I know he paid very high for the country he loved.I hope you all have a great Memorial Day!

• Like 4

All good wishes from everyone accepted as intended however, let us not forget that this day is for those that did not return. Us veterans have our on day.

Well said.

My great uncle Wilmer was KIA in WWI.  My half-sister's father was KIA in WWII.  They, and others, who paid the ultimate price deserve special recognition today.

My father was a 19 yo 2nd Lt. in the Corps of Engineers serving in the Pacific and European theaters.  My son served in Afghanistan.  They returned safely.  As you say, they have Vetereans' Day, but all who served, and are serving still, deserve our respect and gratitude today and every day.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

I wish to pick out, from the friends and others I knew who did not return from various wars, Staff Sergeant Barry Graf. 

Barry and I went to school together at North Heights Elementary, North Heights Junior High, and Arkansas High School in Texarkana and graduate in 1967. 

Barry was from a poor family of 5 children.  I never knew what happened to the father, but his mother, Mary, struggled to take care of the kids as best she could.  She took them to Hickory Street Baptist Church regularly dressed in the best she could muster.  None of the children were top achievers in school and they largely remained on the periphery of school society.  I knew Barry and his twin sister Karen best, as they were my age.  Both were very nice and I spent more time with them in Sunday School so got to know them pretty well over 11 years of school and church. 

Barry joined the Army infantry almost immediately after graduation and fought in the difficult campaigns of 1967 and 1968 rising to the rank of Staff Sergeant.  I am certain he was a good leader, as on a level playing field I am sure that the values Mary taught him showed through. 

When I was discharged in 1973 I came home and decided to walk the old neighborhood.  I was walking past North Heights School and saw Mary doing something in the front yard.  I don't recall much of the conversation, but when I asked about Barry, her face contorted with grief and she said through the tears "They killed my boy..." 

As a Vietnam veteran, the "They..." has always haunted me.  I don't know for sure to this day with certainty who she meant. 

But I know Barry would not have questioned his orders.  He was the kind of soldier who has kept us safe for over two centuries.

To my friend Barry, and all those we lost, I salute you and say:  "Outstanding performance, soldier!"

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 4

God Bless America!

To all those who didn't make it home, Thank You, your efforts mean the world to me and I will never forget. 

All gave some and some gave all.  

Dennie....... usa.gif

• Like 1

• Moderators

I wish to pick out, from the friends and others I knew who did not return from various wars, Staff Sergeant Barry Graf.

Barry and I went to school together at North Heights Elementary, North Heights Junior High, and Arkansas High School in Texarkana and graduate in 1967.

Barry was from a poor family of 5 children. I never knew what happened to the father, but his mother, Mary, struggled to take care of the kids as best she could. She took them to Hickory Street Baptist Church regularly dressed in the best she could muster. None of the children were top achievers in school and they largely remained on the periphery of school society. I knew Barry and his twin sister Karen best, as they were my age. Both were very nice and I spent more time with them in Sunday School so got to know them pretty well over 11 years of school and church.

Barry joined the Army infantry almost immediately after graduation and fought in the difficult campaigns of 1967 and 1968 rising to the rank of Staff Sergeant. I am certain he was a good leader, as on a level playing field I am sure that the values Mary taught him showed through.

When I was discharged in 1973 I came home and decided to walk the old neighborhood. I was walking past North Heights School and saw Mary doing something in the front yard. I don't recall much of the conversation, but when I asked about Barry, her face contorted with grief and she said through the tears "They killed my boy..."

As a Vietnam veteran, the "They..." has always haunted me. I don't know for sure to this day with certainty who she meant.

But I know Barry would not have questioned his orders. He was the kind of soldier who has kept us safe for over two centuries.

To my friend Barry, and all those we lost, I salute you and say: "Outstanding performance, soldier!"

Dave

This is as far as I can get without losing it. Thank you for that revealing story.

WVU: God bless your Son.

Travis

Edit: P.S.: Truly outstanding performance

Edited by dwilawyer