RSW-15... Did I blow it up? Possibly blew my receiver sub channle?

m00n

Hey all...

I have not had my home theater setup since we moved into our new house some three years ago. Wanted to setup my sub yesterday. Not sure exactly what I did wrong but I'm wondering if I blew it up somehow? OR possibly damaged my receiver.

With my sub hooked up to the sub output on the receiver ( Harman Kardon AVR-7200 ) I get a buzz rumble now. The buzz rumble will increase/decrease with the volume knob.

One of my fears is, is that I may have damaged my receiver. I had accidently hooked the "output" on the sub to the sub output on the receiver. Wondering if that may have sent a power surge to my receiver which could have damaged the sub woofer circuit on the receiver.

Is there an easy way to test if the sub is still working properly?

Thoughts?

One of my fears is, is that I may have damaged my receiver. I had accidently hooked the "output" on the sub to the sub output on the receiver. Wondering if that may have sent a power surge to my receiver which could have damaged the sub woofer circuit on the receiver.

Sounds very possible.

Is there an easy way to test if the sub is still working properly?

Yes hook it up to another preamp, receiver, or integrated amp if you have one.

Good luck,

Bill

Yes hook it up to another preamp, receiver, or integrated amp if you have one.

Good luck,

Bill

Well, was hoping for an easier solution that than... Like hooking up an iPod or something along those lines. ;)

For grins, I just plugged in my cell phone to the input on the sub. Used a 1/8" out to a RCA splitter. Still got the low rumble and occasional warble in noise. Made me wonder if that warble was some kind of low frequency trying to make it to the sub from my cell phone...

Not a very good test but wanted to see what would happen. Calling Best Buy to see if I can visit their Magnolia Hi Fi department to bring in both my receiver and sub for testing.

For grins, I just plugged in my cell phone to the input on the sub. Used a 1/8" out to a RCA splitter. Still got the low rumble and occasional warble in noise. Made me wonder if that warble was some kind of low frequency trying to make it to the sub from my cell phone...

Not a very good test but wanted to see what would happen. Calling Best Buy to see if I can visit their Magnolia Hi Fi department to bring in both my receiver and sub for testing.

Hey M00N--Call Klipsch and see if they still have the preamp/amp for that bad boy and get back with us--Afaik, they use the same one for the RSW-12 as well and If the price is right I may order a backup. B)

Hey tdk... How the hell are you? Been forever! I still have my RF7, RC7s... Awesome gear, but alas, I screwed something up yesterday. :(

Hey M00N--It was good to see you post, but sorry you are having problems. I have all of my speakers as well, but when the RSWs run into problems it will be a sad day if I can't get the Preamp/amp...Fwiw, I don't think Magnolia is going to be able to help you, so I'd call them first.

Edited by tkdamerica

Hey M00N--It was good to see you post, but sorry you are having problems. I have all of my speakers as well, but when the RSWs run into problems it will be a sad day if I can't get the Preamp/amp...Fwiw, I don't think Magnolia is going to be able to help you, so I'd call them first.

Really? I thought it was just a fluke that I blew the bash amp in mine 8~9 years ago. I really hope that if it's the bash amp that needs to be replaced, I hope it's the last time. Do you know about how much they run?

should work just fine with an 1/8' to rca cable. sounds like maybe something with the sub. wonder if the rca's are dirty somehow.

Really? I thought it was just a fluke that I blew the bash amp in mine 8~9 years ago. I really hope that if it's the bash amp that needs to be replaced, I hope it's the last time. Do you know about how much they run?

whoa! I had a lightening strike and had to send mine into CS 7 years ago and that got me thinkin' what I would do when it actually is unserviceable--I have no solutions and was serious about calling/contacting Klipsch--If Amy can hook ya up let me know.

Edited by tkdamerica

Well, was hoping for an easier solution that than... Like hooking up an iPod or something along those lines.

That will work. It's hard to tell what song is playing but you can certainly check the sub's output for irregular sounds that way.

should work just fine with an 1/8' to rca cable. sounds like maybe something with the sub. wonder if the rca's are dirty somehow.

And that is what I'm afraid of... LOVE this sub though so even if it is messed up, I will repair it. Not an expense I want right now but an expense that is warranted none the less.

whoa! I had a lightening strike and had to send mine into CS 7 years ago and that got me thinkin' what I would do when it actually is unserviceable--I have no solutions and was serious about calling/contacting Klipsch--If Amy can hook ya up let me know.

I plan on contacting them Tuesday.
I went into Best Buy this evening and started talking to a guy there. He was really nice, said I can bring in both my receiver and my sub if I wanted and said he would hook them up to their existing equipment to see if we can determine what the culprit is.

I really suspect the sub has an issue with it given the fact that I hooked my Android phone up to it with a 1/8" to RCA stereo, and got nothing but buzzing in the sub...

• Like 1

• Moderators

Good to see you posting, how you been doing ? Still have the jeep

Does the receiver run the other speakers ok since this happened ? Could be the phone causing the buzz, I get that sometimes with the yard speakers, does the sub have a fuse ?