RSW-15... Did I blow it up? Possibly blew my receiver sub channle?

m00n

Good to see you posting, how you been doing ? Still have the jeep

Does the receiver run the other speakers ok since this happened ? Could be the phone causing the buzz, I get that sometimes with the yard speakers, does the sub have a fuse ?

Nope, don't have the Jeep anymore. had it over 7 years. It was time for a change. I got a Toyota FJ Cruiser now. It's nice and I like it but I LOVED my jeep.

Sure the buzz could have been from the phone, but there still was nothing audible coming out from the sub.

• Moderators
I've been gone so long with other hobbies that I'm surprised you all remember me.

I will never forget, you put a link where you were supposed to look for the ghost then it would scare you, which I played for my wife. I came very close to wetting my pants laughing and my wife cursed you and me for 10 minutes.

I laugh every time I think of that, she is scary anyway and she jumped off the chair. :emotion-21::D .

• Like 2

Hello m00n.

I'm obviously the new guy here. My post volume is a little funny but I'm dealing with a very similar issue so I thought I'd chime in for what it is worth. I have a thread started about my rsw-15. Turns out my active speaker has a open so it is shot. I'll probably be purchasing a new one from Klipsch.

In my troubleshooting I learned the BASH amps are no longer available. However, there is a place in MI called Sybesma's Electronics that is authorized to repair these amps. I hear they have done many of them and the cost is about $250. Anyway, if you need to go down the amp replace/repair road, you might give them a call.

Best of luck,

Brett

Hello m00n.

I'm obviously the new guy here. My post volume is a little funny but I'm dealing with a very similar issue so I thought I'd chime in for what it is worth. I have a thread started about my rsw-15. Turns out my active speaker has a open so it is shot. I'll probably be purchasing a new one from Klipsch.

In my troubleshooting I learned the BASH amps are no longer available. However, there is a place in MI called Sybesma's Electronics that is authorized to repair these amps. I hear they have done many of them and the cost is about $250. Anyway, if you need to go down the amp replace/repair road, you might give them a call.

Best of luck,

Brett

Hey Brett--Thanks for posting that information...Do you know what they do for that price? Do they also help talk you into taking it out and installing back in? From my experience that is going to be key.

I've been gone so long with other hobbies that I'm surprised you all remember me.

I will never forget, you put a link where you were supposed to look for the ghost then it would scare you, which I played for my wife. I came very close to wetting my pants laughing and my wife cursed you and me for 10 minutes.

I laugh every time I think of that, she is scary anyway and she jumped off the chair. :emotion-21::D .

I know! I caught plenty of shit for that. :lol:

Hi Brett..

Hmmm... It would probably cost me $250 just to ship my sub to them... Unless I can ship them JUST the amp itself. Do you know if they can accept just the amp?

I have also thought about another route. I love this sub and would hate to see it go. I've tried to look up BASH and the only information I can find on them is from www.parts-express.com . Does BASH not have any kid of a website?

Anyway.... I was thinking what if I can't get the amp itself fixed. How about getting an external amp to power this sub. And if so, what subwoofer amp would make this sub rock?

Hello m00n.

Best of luck,

Brett

Hey Brett--Thanks for posting that information...Do you know what they do for that price? Do they also help talk you into taking it out and installing back in? From my experience that is going to be key.

It's actually not very difficult at all.

As mentioned, I had to replace this amp once before and it was easy. And again I pulled the amp out last night. The amp itself is NOT attached to the control plate. It is attached to a cross member support brace.

1) Unscrew the front speaker. This is actually just the dummy speaker.

2) Unscrew the amp from the brace

BEFORE YOU UNHOOK ANY WIRES

3) For each pair of wires, put some kind of marking tape on one. This serves as a reference when you do step 4.

4) Take lots of pictures of each connection for reference. There is only about 4 or 5 in total.

5) Un-connect connect the wires.

You CAN take the back speaker off if you want. It's the actual powered one and it's heavy, but I don't think you would NEED to.

Hi Brett..

Hmmm... It would probably cost me $250 just to ship my sub to them... Unless I can ship them JUST the amp itself. Do you know if they can accept just the amp?

I have also thought about another route. I love this sub and would hate to see it go. I've tried to look up BASH and the only information I can find on them is from www.parts-express.com . Does BASH not have any kid of a website?

Anyway.... I was thinking what if I can't get the amp itself fixed. How about getting an external amp to power this sub. And if so, what subwoofer amp would make this sub rock?

Years ago, when I grew nervous about the SPL abuse I was subjecting our RSW15 to, I talked to Klipsch. They said there was some kind of limiter or protection circuit (not the fuse) in the RSW15 to make it very hard to blow, but that, "some people can blow anything." Much more recently we ran a movie that clicked the sub off about three times, but it came right back on. After that we tested it (REW sweep) and we have run it for several months since then, and it sounds fine. I wonder if it is possible that your protection circuit was tripped, and did not come back on? Worth talking to some technical person at Klipsch.

Edited by Garyrc

• 2 weeks later...

So I took it into a local repair shop. Guess it's pretty simple actually... It's just a bad RCA jack. And I guess the way that it works is if one jack goes bad, they both go bad. Not sure how the wiring on them looks but... I will trust that they know what they are talking about. I had a feeling the amp itself was ok. After all when I would adjust the volume, the buzz volume levels would increase and decrease.

WHOO HOOO! I was afraid the amp inside was toast.