kpt-904s

Soooo....after keeping up with this thread I have decided I personally really like the industrial look and I would perhaps like to own a pair. I am currently running a pair of RF-7 classic. Based on the options and my budget, it looks like I would either have to do the KPT-310 or the KPT-902, with the KPT-310 being more in my price comfort zone. Then my question would be, is that getting me any further ahead of the sound quality of the RF-7 or would it perhaps be a lateral move sound quality wise because I like the industrial look? I have no experience with the pro stuff so Im sorry if my question seems uneducated!! 

Hi everyone

We (culture cooperation Brebl in Nijmegen, the Netherlands) just bought this "secret jubilee". I think it will be a great sounding setup. One pair, no x-overs. 

We want to use it for amplifying bands and disco (techno, garage, house etc....) , in an old warehouse of approximately 250m2 and around 350 persons? Will it serve? Any thoughts?

Eventually we even want to use it as a replacement for our very big but old MCM set, but will it give us the right bass sound, or shall we keep the MWM bins and ditch the middle/high?

What will be the ideal crossover frequency and what kind of amplification is needed?

Any input is more than welcome.

post-58522-0-91920000-1435570302_thumb.j

653.jpg

• Like 1

She was sold to us as being a prototype. To me she looks like a Jubilee KHJ and a 510. We've bought her unseen (apart from the pics) and we know there's no x-over, so we'd better bi-amp her. We've got a nice dvx x-over and 2 inkel M420 (100w 8 ohm, 150w 4 ohm). But will that be enough. If she's a real KHJ, the bass amp can be 400w. (Am i right?) The big question is the crossover frequency.

Another question. Since the mid/high is I presume around 1,5m hight, does any body know what will happen if we put her on a rolling risers, let's 50 cm up. Otherwise all the sound is going in the first row of dancing people.

regards, Godfried

• Like 1

Hi everyone

We (culture cooperation Brebl in Nijmegen, the Netherlands) just bought this "secret jubilee". I think it will be a great sounding setup. One pair, no x-overs. 

We want to use it for amplifying bands and disco (techno, garage, house etc....) , in an old warehouse of approximately 250m2 and around 350 persons? Will it serve? Any thoughts?

Eventually we even want to use it as a replacement for our very big but old MCM set, but will it give us the right bass sound, or shall we keep the MWM bins and ditch the middle/high?

What will be the ideal crossover frequency and what kind of amplification is needed?

Because the tweeter is a constant directivity design, you're going to need more than just a simple xover. You need something that will do frequency shaping too (EQ). Some of the DBX units can do this, but not all of them. If you pick up a used EV Dx38, then you can load factory presets created by Klipsch. I think there might be Crown XTi settings too.

As far as your application, I have two main concerns:

1) By trying to cover ~500Hz to 20kHz, those tweeters are going to be working really hard. It's fine for home audio listening, but I think a disco/band setting might be asking too much - unless you have a really really good sound engineer that keeps his levels in check. Most DJ's just run everything in the red all the time and that's gonna wear things out.

2) The LF section is not going to create the type of LF output that you expect in a club setting. I would highly recommend adding some subs underneath. That would also solve your height issue too. If you want to save some money, then you could just build some of your own cabinets - but then you're going to need to pick up a few more amplifier channels and go to a 3-way xover.

That said, if you keep your levels in check and add a little LF EQ, then you can get a very good sound from your Jubilee setup....it just won't go wicked crazy loud like most clubs tend to be.

Soooo....after keeping up with this thread I have decided I personally really like the industrial look and I would perhaps like to own a pair. I am currently running a pair of RF-7 classic. Based on the options and my budget, it looks like I would either have to do the KPT-310 or the KPT-902, with the KPT-310 being more in my price comfort zone. Then my question would be, is that getting me any further ahead of the sound quality of the RF-7 or would it perhaps be a lateral move sound quality wise because I like the industrial look? I have no experience with the pro stuff so Im sorry if my question seems uneducated!! 

I think the KPT-310 or KPT-902 would be a legit upgrade from the RF-7, but only if you're using an active xover. The reason I say that is because the stock passive xover is designed for shooting through a screen. Also, I feel like the home products are voiced differently than the pro-cinema stuff - with an active you can bring back that level of refinement that's normally given up for more output.

If you have a good subwoofer in your setup, then I wouldn't bother with the KPT-902. The 310 has better polars for a home environment. You can download the CLF files and see the directivity for yourself with the free CLV viewer:

http://www.clfgroup.org/clfdocuments.htm (website)

http://www.clfgroup.org/CLF_Viewer_v2.0c.exe (direct link)

If you're running without a sub, then I think the better bass response of the KPT-902 would outweigh the difference in polar response. Polar response will also be dominated by the speaker location in your room too - I can think of a few scenarios where the 902 polars might actually be preferred.

Hi everyone

attachicon.gif653.jpg

653.jpg

godfried,

I suggest you start a new post with your questions about these Jub bass bins with 510 top horns. I don't know if the fellow members here that own similar setups will be looking through this 904 thread for your questions. Owners of similar setups will be the most knowledgeable and best suited to give you advice IMHO. Who knows perhaps Roy Delgado might even chime in. Best wishes with the new speakers.

OOPs I see you already have done this, Sorry

Edited by babadono

Thanks for the information about the Jubilee's.

At the moment we're figuring out what to do with them. We have them active crossovered now at 600z and sound delicious. EQ-ing is indeed necessary. The sub might be more, but unfortunately, they don't sell the Danley super spud DIY kit anymore, at least not in Holland. So for our main room we stick with the MCM stack. (Thanks Michael). And indeed, it are prototypes, there's no branding on the K510, just a part number 130702 (which i can't find on the web), and there are cables coming out (but cut off) in the mouth of the horn. So pretty unique  :)

regards, Godfried

• 3 years later...

So I purchased Cinemahead's 3 - 904s a few months back for the LCRs of my home theater.  I had considered running all heritage models ( kHorns, Quartets, etc.).  Damn glad I saw the 904s for sale.  My wife originally thought "what the hell are you doing with those and where are they going to go"!  Now she can't wait to show off the system.  Truly amazing sound.  Effortless.  I have them set up with 2 - 5800s for side surrounds, 4 -5800s in the ceiling for Atmos and 2- KG .5s for rears.  Couldn't be happier.  I run a Monolith 15" sub that finishes things off.  I enjoy reading and being educated by you guys on all the forums.

Thanks,

RG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Robert Gervais said:

So I purchased Cinemahead's 3 - 904s a few months back for the LCRs of my home theater.  I had considered running all heritage models ( kHorns, Quartets, etc.).  Damn glad I saw the 904s for sale.  My wife originally thought "what the hell are you doing with those and where are they going to go"!  Now she can't wait to show off the system.  Truly amazing sound.  Effortless.  I have them set up with 2 - 5800s for side surrounds, 4 -5800s in the ceiling for Atmos and 2- KG .5s for rears.  Couldn't be happier.  I run a Monolith 15" sub that finishes things off.  I enjoy reading and being educated by you guys on all the forums.

Thanks,

RG

Sounds like a killer system. 👍 Are the 904's all behind your screen?

On 5/14/2019 at 3:46 PM, Robert Gervais said:

Thanks,

RG

Glad your happy.. The 904s were easily the hardest part of my system to let go of. The svs ultra, Jvc projector, the big screen. All were nice but that sound was the hardest to move on from for me. Enjoy 👍

• Thanks 1