kpt-904s

So I'm still planning to build 904s for the living room. Trying to think of a center channel that can at least not get entirely drowned out and can go under a TV. This is the temporary set up with a Ki-272 in the center position lol.

I'm thinking the Klipsch Academy might be able to hold its own. Thoughts?

post-12103-0-82500000-1413158492_thumb.j

Edited by plissken99

So I'm still planning to build 904s for the living room. Trying to think of a center channel that can at least not get entirely drowned out and can go under a TV. This is the temporary set up with a Ki-272 in the center position lol.

Academy between two 904's?

I've only heard the Academy with the LaScala (owned 3 Academy's) and with the LaScala it was a fail.  In my opinion, it was an epic fail. 

If you're going to build a pair, could you build a third but make the third horizontal while incorporating the 510 inside the box, above the woofers?

• Like 1

Yes I do lol, those are going downstairs when the basement gets finished. However certain parties want me to build a nicer looking pair for the living room lol. The layout may change, or they can be moved a bit further apart. I think it's nuts too, but It can't be argued that they don't outperform the RF-7s even in that space. If I were to build a center utilizing the same horn and crossover I'd probably downscale to 2 12's. Could be interesting.

The ki272 would be way better than a academy. But if I was you I would run a phantom center. Unless you can get another 904 type speaker with the same horn and driver I would pass on it. 

image.jpg

That sir... is OVERKILL!

but I like it.

what, are they like 7'-8' apart?

I know you realize they are made for auditoriums...

Yes I do lol, those are going downstairs when the basement gets finished. However certain parties want me to build a nicer looking pair for the living room lol. The layout may change, or they can be moved a bit further apart. I think it's nuts too, but It can't be argued that they don't outperform the RF-7s even in that space. If I were to build a center utilizing the same horn and crossover I'd probably downscale to 2 12's. Could be interesting.

Not sure why its overkill. If it sounds better thats what matters. The size of the sound with no effort is mind boggling compared to anything else I have owned. The only issue is the appearance. The pro line looks out of place in a home. If they had wood veneer nice grills and badges. No one would call them overkill. Look at the khorn. People stuff them in small rooms all the time and no one calls it overkill :)

Edited by reference_head

That's the idea I'm going for, eventually in the living room I'll build 904s with nice cabinets, top hats, grills and badges. Just have a theater room to build 1st. The ki 272 actually sounds really nice there, just looks stupid under the TV. Needs to be shorter and wider, like a traditional HT center channel. :)

Just wondering I see your using a corner for the tv and center. Is that the only place it all works in that room?

The 904 as a center is something to hear. I wouldn't put a lesser speaker in the middle of it. The idea to build one could be cool. Have it match the other two you build. And go with the 15s imo. Don't mess with a good thing. I think a center should be as big or bigger then the rest.

• Like 1

Academy between two 904's?

I've only heard the Academy with the LaScala (owned 3 Academy's) and with the LaScala it was a fail.  In my opinion, it was an epic fail. 

If you're going to build a pair, could you build a third but make the third horizontal while incorporating the 510 inside the box, above the woofers?

I was going to suggest the same thing.

Yeah actually I've convinced them to do without a center channel. If they wanna watch something that requires a center, watch in the theater room. While thing got spurred when we tried watching Netflix movies. Even when switched to stereo on the soundtrack dialog wouldn't come through we'll on some films.

Phantom probably is the best bet if you don't have a 3rd or something very close. Im personally a big fan of the phantom. Im guessing a lot of people don't know you can run a phantom. Cause we see so many systems with a small center thats not even from the same line popped in-between big really nice speakers.