Cornin with Dynaco

_RIGGED_

Had a couple of Bottlehead freaks over a few years back and these things sounded excellent with my K'horns. However, they died really quick with 32hz pipe organ. Once I get that big honkin' horn sub cooking though, they could be contenders.

Dave

Hello Mark

I just got these. They are pretty rare. Cary ( Dennis had ) made them to order and he only made 6 pairs. Cad 45se. Very very nice. Not as "robust" as the pcats but the detail and engagement is pretty spooky. I'm using some single driver speakers from blumenstein audio. Similar to this original tektons that I mistakenly sold.

It's a hobby and I enjoy trying new things. It's never really because I'm not happy with what I have, only that I want to try something new!

• Like 1

my cornwall II's sound pretty sweet to my ears with 12watts. If volume is in question I've never taken the knob past 12:00.

... and I've heard them sound sweet with 12 w.p.c. in my friend's 40 foot long room ..... but volume really isn't the question, IMO. On a couple of occasions I've had Klipscorn's -- which are about 2.85 times as efficient as Cornwalls -- up to 25 watts on a peak reading meter. The key word is "peak." The typical wattage for a loud passage with Klipschorns in my room might be about 1 to 2 watts, but we all want those peaks to sound undistorted. A peak of 25 watts into a Khorn would be about 71 watts into a Cornwall.

Gary, that's why the ST-70 is such an excellent match for K'horns. If you are clipping that puppy significantly you won't notice because your ears will be in the process of being destroyed anyway... Cornwalls...I don't know, but I still suspect any reasonable listening level, and I mean "realistic," would be fine.

I guess it's a matter of whether one insists on being able to break windows and rearrange the nicnacs and such.

Dave

Gary, that's why the ST-70 is such an excellent match for K'horns. If you are clipping that puppy significantly you won't notice because your ears will be in the process of being destroyed anyway... Cornwalls...I don't know, but I still suspect any reasonable listening level, and I mean "realistic," would be fine.

I guess it's a matter of whether one insists on being able to break windows and rearrange the nicnacs and such.

Dave

LMAO!

RIGGED

Dave

LOL. Our sturdy windows in the Khorn HT and music room don't break or rattle, but ones a few rooms away have been known to vibrate sympathetically. Our nicknacs are stuck down with museum putty. The couch does jump around a bit, though.

Edited by Garyrc

I have a Latino ST120 that I built from a kit back in '09 running my modified Khorns. No, you don't need that much power for horn speakers. The reason I went with the ST120 instead of the ST70 was just in case I ever needed to run more inefficient speakers in the future. I figured that for a little more money I would be prepared for anything.

Bob Latino in an outstanding guy, and his products are top notch. I wouldn't hesitate on buying either the ST70 or the ST120. Remember that both amps can be run in single-ended mode, which reduces the output a bit also.

• Like 2

I have Dynaco Mk IVs, basically an ST-70 split into two with twice the power supply iron! I love them and they should have no problem whatever driving cornwalls beyond reasonable listening levels. I installed a "triode" switch on them to make them sound sweeter and they still play par louder than I could ever want. T

• Like 2

I have a Latino ST120 that I built from a kit back in '09 running my modified Khorns. No, you don't need that much power for horn speakers. The reason I went with the ST120 instead of the ST70 was just in case I ever needed to run more inefficient speakers in the future. I figured that for a little more money I would be prepared for anything.

Bob Latino in an outstanding guy, and his products are top notch. I wouldn't hesitate on buying either the ST70 or the ST120.

I would get the st70 likely just for the fact the st120 is cursed with issues. If the st120 was in very good working order(make sure you do examine either although the st120 is plagued with issues) i would consider it although yes in a lifetime nobody would ever turn the volume past halfway cept maybe once.

beeker, the reference to ST120 can be confusing. Are you by chance thinking of the issues with the old solid state Dynaco ST120 rather than the Bob Latino tube "VTA" ST120?

The Dynaco solid state ST120 was introduced during 1966 and had many documented problems involving the circuit, power supply and transistor failures. I'm not sure that Dynaco ever was able to improve stability and reliability of the solid state ST120, even with various small circuit changes. In addition, many were built from kits by inexperienced builders and had bad solder joints and wiring.

In looking at the Latino options, I assume the OP meant the VTA ST70 and VTA ST120. The difference between the "VTA" models is strictly power since I believe that all of the "VTA" amps use the same driver circuit but have different components within the driver circuit to better match the operating parameters of the output tubes. Also, the power supply on the "VTA" ST120 would be larger than the ST70.

I find many positive experiences such as Kevin above and jhoak when he built his. The only documented problems I can find with the VTA ST120 are not design flaws and seem to be builder-related or using 'suspect' tubes rather than the tubes Bob supplied.

Edited by Fjd

I have Dynaco Mk IVs, basically an ST-70 split into two with twice the power supply iron! I love them and they should have no problem whatever driving cornwalls beyond reasonable listening levels. I installed a "triode" switch on them to make them sound sweeter and they still play par louder than I could ever want. T

I had MK IVs also. I loved them! Bought them in 1964. I noticed they were rated at 40 watts each [mono tube power amps], instead of the 35 w.p.c of the later ST-70s. I guess that was because of "twice the power supply iron." I borrowed several SS amps in an effort to replace them (with something more powerful) in about 1971, but all of the SS sounded like sh__, compared to them. Much later, I think there were several SS that sounded almost as good (Luxman, NAD), but not quite.

Crikey,Claude...don't start that again. :D

Of course, no way to know but I'm betting PWK would have agreed. I use more powerful Class D amps and perhaps they don't deliver whatever you fleawatt guys find so appealing but all have sounded better to these ears than any SS with all horn systems.

OK, now I've thrown gasoline on the fire. Gents, some of our ears just feel horns and SS don't mix well.

Dave

The best sound at Axpona were the huge Sadurni Tractrix Horns. I got to spend some time with the designer Jorge. When he played "Come Away With Me" by Nora Jones, I got VERKLEMPT!

They were using Hypex Ncore class D monoblocs at 400 Watts per. Jorge said we were listening to less than 1W peak in that big room. Normally done with tube, but not this time. Amazing sound, and I live with the best of Klipsch horns every day. Tractrix rules!!

post-20774-0-84900000-1401752288_thumb.jpost-20774-0-68780000-1401752301_thumb.j

Edited by ClaudeJ1

I have a VTA ST-120 built by Bob Latino. That amp with a Cary SLP 03 makes Polk Audio LSiM 703's sound good but I'm thinking that setup would be better for Heresy's. After reading everyone's opinion in this thread I'm kinda wondering if that's the right speaker for my tube setup.

The VTA ST-120 runs in either triode or ultra-linear mode...or maybe pentode mode, if there is a difference. In triode mode it puts out 35 wpc. In that mode I sense more openness to the music.

As far as issues ....mine runs fine. I do make sure it gets plenty of circulation though.

Edited by Sprags

Over the years, I've heard so many things(warmth, plays well with horns etc..) about tubes and like the Beekster said, I just want to experience them in my home.

Ok, kind of an experiment then. Of course we can't predict what kind of sound qualities others will like, so I would take this on from a different angle - what's the most "tube'ish sound" you could try, which would best show off the tube qualities? What experiment will give you the greatest insight into how tubes differ from transistor amps? Then, if you don't like that, there wouldn't be much sense going forward with it. You would have heard the example of "good tubes" clearly.

To that end, I would begin with Single-Ended Pentode (SEP) amps that feature no feedback. I think they offer the best window into tubes that you can buy on a modest budget. The most common recommendation, and one I used to make all the time, is the old Dynaco Ultralinear amps, like the ST70, MKIII and SCA35. But, ultralinear amps aren't really that close to today's state of the art in tube amps. Yes, they are good, and yes you can get lots of watts per dollar, but watts per dollar isn't the best way to show the strength of tube amps. A classic Single-Ended Triode (SET) amp would probably cost more than some of the new SEPs, and so for that reason they would be my second recommendation if you can find one in your budget.

A typical SEP with no feedback and really good transformer and caps inside, will demonstrate the beauty of tubes very well. The fine grain, the exquisite detail, the openness and see through clarity is common to these amps. You compare this to your SS amp, and you will say, "Oh, now I get what this tube thing is all about." It will be very obvious.

The Dynaco and all the hundreds of "ultralinear clones" fall behind the SET, SEP, in the finer points of tube sound, but they do offer more power. And to be clear, "more power" was the exact driving force behind the design of the ultralinear amps. On acoustic suspension speakers, the ultralinear has a clear advantage over SET/SEP. The cool thing about horns is that it opened the door to these better sounding, but less powerful designs, like SET/SEP.

Thanks for the recommendations however it's full steam ahead with the ST70, yes, there is a winner of the two.

I decided to get Bob L's advice and much to my surprise, he said I should go with the lower priced ST70.

Sadly, they do not keep wired boxes in stock, it will take up to 3 weeks from the payment date.

I am SO excited, my very first tube amp! Perhaps down the road I'll give SET amps a shot who knows.

I'll post pictures and my thoughts later on.

Thanks again to everyone!

RIGGED

Congrats on your purchase!

I may have missed it but did you give any thoughts to what pre you'll be using?

-R

The best sound at Axpona were the huge Sadurni Tractrix Horns. I got to spend some time with the designer Jorge. When he played "Come Away With Me" by Nora Jones, I got VERKLEMPT!

ct6a6272.jpg

They were using Hypex Ncore class D monoblocs at 400 Watts per. Jorge said we were listening to less than 1W peak in that big room. Normally done with tube, but not this time. Amazing sound, and I live with the best of Klipsch horns every day. Tractrix rules!!

I like the time alignment considerations used by the designer of the Sadurni tractrix horns. In addition, the frame looks to be a good idea.

Are those some sort of bass sub-woofer tubes in the background?

I have a VTA ST-120 built by Bob Latino. That amp with a Cary SLP 03 makes Polk Audio LSiM 703's sound good but I'm thinking that setup would be better for Heresy's. After reading everyone's opinion in this thread I'm kinda wondering if that's the right speaker for my tube setup.

The VTA ST-120 runs in either triode or ultra-linear mode...or maybe pentode mode, if there is a difference. In triode mode it puts out 35 wpc. In that mode I sense more openness to the music.

As far as issues ....mine runs fine. I do make sure it gets plenty of circulation though.

Regarding the amplifier, I've used the VTA driver boards without any problems and I'm thinking there may have been some confusion with the solid state Dynaco ST120.

A while back I had three pair of Dynaco Mark III (all 1975 vintage) with one pair using VTA boards (KT88 output tubes), another using the Curcio boards (EL34 output tubes) and the third using the Shannon Parks Poseidon boards (KT88 output tubes) from the DIYtube site. However, never had them all at once for any type of shootout.

In addition to the Heresy you may want to look at the Forte and the Forte II. Both are well-balanced speakers with the Forte II having the tractrix horn.

Here are a couple of recent threads on the Forte with good information.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149994-herseyscornwallsfortes/

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/150020-forte-placement/