In need for an musical subwoofer

TheHummer

I did two purchases this week.a Harman Kardon 3390 and the boston acoustics A 250.

The plan is to put it in my workspace ,plug into my pc and the rest is history.LOL

But now i'm in need for a good musical sub .

Any ideas,because i had never a sub for music so i don't know where to begin.

Thx for your help

I did two purchases this week.a Harman Kardon 3390 and the boston acoustics A 250.

The plan is to put it in my workspace ,plug into my pc and the rest is history.LOL

But now i'm in need for a good musical sub .

Any ideas,because i had never a sub for music so i don't know where to begin.

Thx for your help

If these are anything like the old A-150 or A-200's you definitely need a sub! I still have my A-150's from 1980 whenever it was...

Very clear sound but very little bass and not very efficient. I think the Sunfire TS-eq12 was a good match.

OK, time for a confession... I bought the A-150's instead of Klipsch (don't remember the model). Yes, really! But I knew that I would have no self control with the volume and my Dad would have killed me, the speakers, or both.

I have a Rel Strata III in Rosenut, Mint condition. that I will be selling soon. Do some research on the Rel Strata III.

They are supposed to be a 'very musical sub'.

They list for about $1200, I will be selling mine for about $650...... If you are interested e-mail me.

But now i'm in need for a good musical sub . Any ideas,because i had never a sub for music so i don't know where to begin.

Budget?

New or used?

One or a pair?

All my subs in my family room HT are very musical but different price points and I could confidently recommend anyone of them.

Bill

I have had many subwoofers over the years. The most musical (and it is not even close) Is a JBL B460 clone. The sub uses a JBL 2245h 18" driver in a 8 cubic foot ported box. The plans can be found here http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/technical/1983-subs.htm

Greg Timbers is kind enough to give all the info that is needed to easily build one of the all time best music subwoofers. He even gives out schematics to clone the active crossover that will be needed.

I am currently using one of these in my bar/gameroom with a pair of Forte iis. I have never heard better.

Musical sub, I have used that term in the past but, found out all you need is a good sub from a design/construction point of view. There are good ported and sealed models. Small subs are no more musical than larger subs. Look at Reaction Audio dual 12 in. for $ 499, SVS PB 1000 for $499, Chane sub compact 18 in SBE for $550.

Edited by derrickdj1

• 5 years later...

If you want to build a "proper" sub woofer, you can do it many ways,... or you can do it the Nelson Pass way and have a lot of fun doing it..!

You may want to also heed his advice and secure the things prone to 'vibration' that could suffer from the very low frequencies we are dealing with.

I have never laughed and learned so much from an article (with plans) so much, ever! Enjoy!  http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_elpipeo.pdf 

DogBox [Steve]