Value of 1975 Cornwalls

Zinfandel

I have been out of touch with the Klipsch community for decades. I have a pair of 1975 Cornwalls, original owner, birch, finished by me. Mechanically correct, speaker cloth rough (damn cats, long since gone), finish is aged, some stains, but wood is good. It is time for me to send them to a good home as I downsize. But if they are worth little, I will keep them. Still have awesome sound with a low power Yamaha RX450.

Any idea of what they are worth ( I know,the market will set the price, but I need a range)?

Located in Tucson, AZ

I bought a pair of Cornwall II's a few weeks ago in Massachusetts for $800 in very good condition, but I think this price was a little on the low side.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149796-cornwalls-80000-near-albany-ny/

Probably the best quick check is to go to the "Alerts" section and see what others have been asking (as opposed to sold for).

• Like 1

Tucson is within his acceptable driving distance, so Mark is just trying to drive the price down so he can flip them on ebay. ;)

Well now Debbie Downer, you got any more crap to throw my way?

The OP ask what they were worth, I give people what they ask when they ask for help.

New crossovers would INCREASE the price and quality. Period.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1

I have been out of touch with the Klipsch community for decades. I have a pair of 1975 Cornwalls, original owner, birch, finished by me. Mechanically correct, speaker cloth rough (damn cats, long since gone), finish is aged, some stains, but wood is good. It is time for me to send them to a good home as I downsize. But if they are worth little, I will keep them. Still have awesome sound with a low power Yamaha RX450.

Any idea of what they are worth ( I know,the market will set the price, but I need a range)?

Located in Tucson, AZ

Spending money on these with the intent to sell them is a waste of your time and your money you will not make enough on them to get back what you spent much less turn any kind of profit. Given their age they really do need some TLC if you want to keep them and not lose an amp driving them. If you keep them they should have fresh caps and fresh diaphragms if you want them to sound worth keeping. You said that you were down sizing and keeping them only works if they sound too good to lose. So given that you are thinking of selling them then you obviously don't feel they are too good to lose. It's a bit of a catch 22 situation. With fresh caps and diaphragms you can run them on a small set amp and they will sound glorious. Your call but a pair of Forte ll are half the size play a lot lower (don't need a sub) and you could afford a pair on what the Cornwall's will sell for, you might even find a trade. To Keep them and make them sound good will cost you as much as they will sell for. You said you were trying to save space so sell them and get into something smaller. An RF5 is a nice sounding speaker which is very compact and easy enough to drive, just another possible option. Good luck with your decision. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james

I purchased a set of 1980 Cornwalls in Phoenix for $4xx. Birch, finished by the owner, grilles were ok but upon further inspection needed to be totally replaced. There were many spots where the veneer had been peeled so they also needed a facelift to be allowed in the house. I think I got an ok deal for speakers that needed to be refinished (veneer and grilles) and probably could have been run without caps or crossovers. I wouldn't have paid much more for that condition speaker knowing the amount of expense and work required to bring them back. My 2 cents.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Many seemed concerned about the crossover caps, but I hear no diminished sound quality. Is the concern just precaution, like a timing belt on a car with over 100,000 miles?

I will post some pics this weekend. Again, speaker cloth need replacing, birch is in good shape but needs strip or do over. I will post here and on Craig's list. Complicated shipping is not something I want to deal with so a local buyer will have an advantage.

I love them, but my Tucson lifestyle is much more outside and mobile. Tough to part with but it is time.

Thanks again

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Many seemed concerned about the crossover caps, but I hear no diminished sound quality. Is the concern just precaution, like a timing belt on a car with over 100,000 miles?

I will post some pics this weekend. Again, speaker cloth need replacing, birch is in good shape but needs strip or do over. I will post here and on Craig's list. Complicated shipping is not something I want to deal with so a local buyer will have an advantage.

I love them, but my Tucson lifestyle is much more outside and mobile. Tough to part with but it is time.

Thanks

I was told by Bob Crites when I re-did my Cornwalls that after 20 years or so the caps are exhausted and are no longer accurate in sound reproduction. That being said....its not like remodeling a bathroom to get more money for your house. I'd sell them as is and roll on.

Edited by philly0116
  • Like 1

The concern of the many outweighs the not knowing of the one...

Your caps are all well past their best before date. You don't notice any degradation in sound simply because the process is slow and gradual and you no longer have a reference past decades old memory. New caps will not only refresh the sound quality across the board but will should sound better than the originals did when they were new, providing you buy good quality caps. Caps the age of yours could go south on you, the question is not "will they?" but "when". If you have amplifiers of the same vintage it is much more important that you change the electrolytic caps in them or replace the amps. Should the supply caps in your amp go south you can loose your amp and your speakers in one fell stroke. I agree with Philly sell them and move on since you are not into refurbishing them. Leave the work to someone who is looking for a project. Find a rebuilt pair of Chorus ll or Forte ll and you will be shocked at the quality of sound in a more compact package. You want to look for speakers with new caps (like Crites rebuilds) in the networks and with new titanium diaphragms in the mid and tweeter drivers. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Just for some perspective relative to your location. I bought a pair of 77 Cornwalls in Tucson in March that are physically perfect regarding the cabinets and sound great. I paid $800.00. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I typically stay out of putting a value on someones stuff, but a few things seem to be getting left out here

OP states CATS tore up grills, and they need a refinish from STAINS and scratches, Its a given that original xovers need rebuilt at the least....................

The description alone by the OP places these at the low end of the value stick..............I have seen cornwalls in the described condition go as low as 300.00 and

as high as 600, If they are as described I cant believe the value would be over 600 at best, figure in LABOR and parts to bring up to standard you are going to invest 300+ (unless of course you place no value on your labor, and if thats the case I know some employers that would like to speak with you :D )

Of course once pics are posted all hypothetical price guesses will be laid to rest ;)

• 2 weeks later...

They are what they are. But I agree they are not showroom condition. Bought in late 1974. Definitely need new grill cloth and a refinish (some marks and the original stain on the birch veneer has yellowed). But they have aged better than me! Are these as bad as the $300 pair you have seen? I know they are not $800 level appearance wise.

DSC_0029_zpscb5f0910.jpg

DSC_0030_zps66be477d.jpg

DSC_0032_zps742397d4.jpg

DSC_0035_zps6b2aaee1.jpg

DSC_0031_zps0d157769.jpg

DSC_0034_zps7b6c3cbf.jpg

Edited by Zinfandel