Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

Thank you for the advise and recommendation. I just happen to have a pair of 12LFA and a pair of old H. Decorator cabs laying around.

I'm using your quote to make a point about mods in general. If you are truly trying to improve real world performance of a Heritage product of any make or model, one should use drivers that have systematic SYNERGY and real improvements or the original. NOT what just happens to be "laying around" and making no real improvement.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Love this project!  However, I have a couple questions:

1) Klipsch is currently quoting $198 for each of the K-42-K woofers, making the Delta Pro a lot more attractive.  However, PartsExpress currently sells 2 different Delta Pro models, the Delta Pro 12A and the Delta Pro 12-450A.  Which one did you use?  Which one do you recommend?  Specs are at the links.  BTW, the 450A model is $20 cheaper.

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/290-510--eminence-delta-pro-12a-specifications.pdf

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/290-511--eminence-delta-pro-450a-specifications.pdf

2) For the B&C DE10 compression driver, I'm unclear on whether that is supposed to mate with the Klipsch horn or whether I need a new horn. When you talk about trimming, do you mean trimming the plastic fins on the driver?

Thanks!

Gary 

It's the 12A, the one with the larger magnet, which, I believe (no real proof) that it's the same one Klipsch calls a K42, without the Eminence Label. The specs sure do look close. The original K-42's, which I have, were basically EVM 12L speakers for lead guitar, hence the way improved midrange definition and upgrade in efficiency.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Great info Claude.  Thanks.

I used to have a pair of EVM 12Ls, and they do indeed have a rising midrange.  Unfortunately those went into a pair of monitors and were sold.  The Eminence drivers have a great reputation, though I am more familiar with the 15" version.

So looks like I would need the little wood horns from ALK to be able to use the B&C de10.  Too bad, as that becomes a $320 upgrade (plus shipping) as compared to about $100 for just the drivers.  I guess if I'm willing to do a "top of the box" arrangement I could try them out with most any available small horn.  In fact I could try out that inexpensive BMS driver for about the same price

Gary

good info DJK - - is a notch filter the best way to make a Delta 10A usable? - I want to mate one in a K to a Transylvania Tube

re:Kappa12A - although not as smooth as Delta Pro 12A, for someone already having the Kappa, it might reasonably work - maybe

best as a boosted 6th order - ?  my (stock) H1 sit against a back wall

Delta Pro12A - great looking driver
tvomynM.jpg
Kappa 12A
33GjXEM.jpg

Edited by karlson3

Looks to me like the Kappa would work fine as is in a Super Heresy. Just try the darn thing. You already have it, so use it. Don't do what most people seem to do here, which is suffer from the "paralysis of analysis."

Use the Nike motto: "Just do it."

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 2

Great info Claude.  Thanks.

I used to have a pair of EVM 12Ls, and they do indeed have a rising midrange.  Unfortunately those went into a pair of monitors and were sold.  The Eminence drivers have a great reputation, though I am more familiar with the 15" version.

So looks like I would need the little wood horns from ALK to be able to use the B&C de10.  Too bad, as that becomes a $320 upgrade (plus shipping) as compared to about $100 for just the drivers.  I guess if I'm willing to do a "top of the box" arrangement I could try them out with most any available small horn.  In fact I could try out that inexpensive BMS driver for about the same price

Gary

When you consider the cost of a new pair of Heresy's vs. porting old ones, and, effectively, using a Cornwall B network, I feel confident that my ported upgrade to the Heresy's from the 1970's would outperform the newer ones at much lower cost. It was worth it to me, which is why I did 5 of them.

• Like 2

I used to have a pair of EVM 12Ls, and they do indeed have a rising midrange.  Unfortunately those went into a pair of monitors and were sold

Vented, the Delta Pro 12A make a superlative mini Cornwall.

Thanks for the post DJK. You need a strong motor with a big magnet on a 12" driver (better transient response between 250 and 1,000 Hz. in order to get a more seamless blend between the ultra fast K-700 horn and the "hard to beat" K-55v driver. The K-22 in a sealed box Heresy was an economical compromise so as not to compete with the Cornwall, methinks. 

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Oh, and I spent some time with Paul Klipsch in the Lab (1985). I asked him why he didn't use any stuffing in the Heresy Cabinet. His response: "I wanted a pure capacitance." Stuffing is a mechanically resistive loss that affects efficiency, ever so slightly lower frequency repsonse, which would increase IM distortion, ever so slightly.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just finished with Claudes great mod on my Heresy 1.5´s and I am very impressed with the amount of bass the Eminence Delta Pro-12A and port pump out of the speaker.  No need for a subwoofer at all. They just sound great Claude :D    I have the type E2 network and tried them with the 33uF cap on and off. They sound better with the cap on if you have the type E2 network. My living room is about 4 x 5,5 m and in a room that size there is no need for a subwoofer. The mod was very straight forward and the most time consuming part was damening the speakers. Highly recommended for anyone wanting more out of a small and good looking speaker. Perhaps not a Heresy 1 anymore but just a lot better than a Heresy 1 will ever be on it´s own. Thanks again Claude for all  the time and effort you put into this great mod. Even better, for sharing it with us.

regards

Mike W

Getting ready to finish my second pair… These babies are killer in the right spot. Try it, you'll like it.

Spoken by a man who also owns "non baby Cornwalls" and just about all other Klipsch Heritage. I see Khorns in your future................

But it would be hard to beat Super Heresy's with a LAB 12 Tapped horn, like I sold to Gnote. I would put those up against anything at Axpona.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 1 month later...

After doing some serious listening over the weekend, I have come to the conclusion that my hearing is not what it should be. Now I was aware that my hearing was not good to start with,  but that I could hear distortion from the mids and tweeters on some songs was something new. I had some younger friends over and we listened to things that I had a problem with. For example , The Rolling Stones Tumbling Dice sounds very distorted to my ears. The younger listeners thought everything sounded great at any volume thanks to Claudes mod. They were not hearing the distortion I was hearing. I thought it had something to do with my x-overs or baffle diffraction. So If you start to hear strange stuff from your speakers , I would recommend trying to share your experience with someone before spending money on new gear that perhaps won´t help at all.

• 5 months later...

Claudes Baby Cornwall´s with ALK CSW crossovers sound very nice.  My Heresy 1.5´s have the K-52-H midrange and I felt the midrange needed to be dampened a bit after finishing Claudes Baby Cornwall mod.  So I got intouch will Al and bought a pair of CSW crossovers and a pair of Eliptrac HF horns with the DE 120 driver.

Spent hours last weekend with a musician friend of mine fine tuning the CSW crossover. I rewired the speakers and ran the wires through the port so I had the crossover on the floor during the fine tuning. This made tap changes a lot faster. We tried everything from10 dB to 6 on the mid and 6 dB to 2 on the tweeter. Playing the same songs over and over we came up with the setting 8 and 2 , which we both felt that gave a great result. The bass was just  as strong as before with the type B crossover but the CSW crossover allowed us to dampen the midrange a bit. The songs we played were Dire Staits Sultans Of Swing , this song sounded good on most of the crossover settings. But on The Beatles ,With A Little Help From My Friends it was easier to fine tune the cossover to what we thought, was a wonderfull soundstage  Not having room for a Cornwall, Claudes mod brought me pretty close to having one after all. Thanks again Claude

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Claude

I was with Jimbo this weekend and listened to quite a few systems, his Khorns obviously were the winners altho the split LSI Scalas were really good.  Since the mids are where the music is, I was thinking about putting K-60M drivers into the 700 horns. I know it should screw up the crossover points, but I think it would make the mids even better

Question for you is, if I put the 60Ms into the horns, what's going to melt the faster? I'm dying to see what that huge driver would do the the horns

TY

Mark

• ClaudeJ1 changed the title to Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)