Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

Those are in great shape. Nice. BTW, the Pre-1980 Heresys, Cornwalls, etc. used the same Poplar Core Veneers as the Khorn fronts. FYI, and NOT crappy, cheap MDF. Also, my first pair of Khorns, as a "kid" were KCBR's 1977 which were made of Baltic Birch inside and out and weighed 20 more pounds than the older fir plywood Khorns. I sold them to a friend with the option of buying them back someday. I put some Formby's Tung Oil on those things AFTER I had polished the raw wood with #0000 Steel wool, the most beautiful birch finish you ever saw.

But these Walnut Heresys really are super nice. Pun intended.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tiziano said:

Another good driver is: eminence beta 12. It has a similar response to the Delta Pro, with a few dB less. The cost is lower. I enclose a simulation with the ventilated box of Claude J1

2018-01-12.png

While I do appreciate the effort here, again, different is NOT the same.

When I plug that woofer into my modeling software, I can see the effect of the smaller magnet, which is a lower BL product, even though the cone mass is similar. What this means is you won't get the same FAST MIDRANGE response/handoff to the mid horn and driver, which is a BIG part of the magic for the Super Heresy Mod and also the reason why I did it to begin with originally. The ported bass response turned out to be a big, pleasant surprise but not the original intent.

So the emphasis, on this lower BL will be more towards the bass and less towards the midrange "tilt" in the response. It's also a few DB less efficient, so it will throw off the Xover balance also.

Again, there's a good reason why Klipsch chose to use the K-42 as their "Pro Woofer" for the Pro Heresy variants in the past. Whether the K-42 was made by EV or Eminence, it had the same specifications from Klipsch. This is why I recommend the Eminence Delta pro, which is, essentially, a K-42 without the Klipsch name.

So if you are after the exact same performance as Jim Jimbo's now famous Super Heresys (I sold my other 3 to another friend), then going to a different woofer than my original recommendation has it's compromises, which are UNTESTED by me. I don't intend to build any of those myself and if you do, you are on your own............especially if the results are not as big of an improvement as you expect. You have been warned.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2014 at 8:03 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Here's some summary images. I did a mirror image of the port on the other speaker (port in other corner of rear).

post-20774-0-69220000-1401325362_thumb.jpost-20774-0-74460000-1401325378_thumb.jpost-20774-0-54860000-1401325403_thumb.j

I got a little carried away with sealing all the possible leaks. I was worried I had too much foam in mine. I actually need to add some to the back door. They do still rocket.

Mark

super heresy 1.jpg

super heresy2.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

got a little carried away with sealing all the possible leaks. I was worried I had too much foam in mine. I actually need to add some to the back door. They do still rocket.

Mark

I'd say you don't need anymore foam. No such thing as too much good seal for leaks! So button these up and start crankin' some tunes. Which tweeter do you have? Hows the bass?

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'd say you don't need anymore foam. No such thing as too much good seal for leaks! So button these up and start crankin' some tunes. Which tweeter do you have? Hows the bass?

I picked up 2 pair of Eliptrac tweets and 2 pair of 110s., I sent the extras to Jim. I've been using them for a few months, they really sound great. with the ports, I have them in an entertainment center in my bedroom so they are a little high. The ports are about 11" off the wall, they could use a little more room. I shook a duck and bass mount off the wall. LOL, expensive mistake.

Mark

5 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I picked up 2 pair of Eliptrac tweets and 2 pair of 110s., I sent the extras to Jim. I've been using them for a few months, they really sound great. with the ports, I have them in an entertainment center in my bedroom so they are a little high. The ports are about 11" off the wall, they could use a little more room. I shook a duck and bass mount off the wall. LOL, expensive mistake.

Mark

So it appears they are truly doing the job as "baby Cornwalls," I presume from your post??

Just now, ClaudeJ1 said:

So it appears they are truly doing the job as "baby Cornwalls," I presume from your post??

Yea, they are an upgrade over the regular Heresy and probably the HIP. I can't remember if Jim did an A/B with his Supers and HIPS. I'm taking them to the club next week for friends to listen to, they are spoiled, they heard the 2007 Khorns about a month ago. Needless to say, they will be amazed by the big pure sound coming from these. 

Mark

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 5:01 PM, ZEUS121996 said:

Yea, they are an upgrade over the regular Heresy and probably the HIP. I can't remember if Jim did an A/B with his Supers and HIPS. I'm taking them to the club next week for friends to listen to, they are spoiled, they heard the 2007 Khorns about a month ago. Needless to say, they will be amazed by the big pure sound coming from these. 

Mark

Keep us posted. Here's a fellow Michigan Klipshster who changed the Xover for the K55 using a different Choke on the woofer. Maybe you should explore that also if you have too much mid. Never tested the EV K55 but it's possible it's a bit more efficient than the Atlas.

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Keep us posted. Here's a fellow Michigan Klipshster who changed the Xover for the K55 using a different Choke on the woofer. Maybe you should explore that also if you have too much mid. Never tested the EV K55 but it's possible it's a bit more efficient than the Atlas.

I have the K-55M in the Supers. Claude, I am determined to put these K-60M drivers into something if no other reason than to check them out in a small cabinet. Maybe in the Vertical CW 1

Your thoughts?

Mark

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The best advice I got from Claude and Bob Crites was to use Bob’s 3636 autotransformers in the network’s.  The 1dB adjustments make setting the squawker levels easy.

Mine was advice (I like to spend other people's money for them). Bob's was advice and a sales pitch. LOL. so yes, that Autoformer is WAY more "tweakable" than the Klipsch T2a when using different drivers. It's all about BALANCE (hence the term Balancing Network) for different ROOMS, Drivers, and EARS!!

8 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I have the K-55M in the Supers. Claude, I am determined to put these K-60M drivers into something if no other reason than to check them out in a small cabinet. Maybe in the Vertical CW 1

Your thoughts?

Mark

K60M's are something I've never had, so I know nothing about them. Again, my ORIGINAL Super Heresy Mod. was with a very SPECIFIC set of components, measurements, and a specific ROOM where they were used. Any deviation from those very specific drivers, stuffing material, room dimensions, and placement will change the sound. You guys are on your own with all of the different DRIVERS. So get a UMIK and REW so that you can "roll your own." 

Per PWK quote: "You can't make what you can't measure because you don't know when you have it made."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

K60M's are something I've never had, so I know nothing about them. Again, my ORIGINAL Super Heresy Mod. was with a very SPECIFIC set of components, measurements, and a specific ROOM where they were used. Any deviation from those very specific drivers, stuffing material, room dimensions, and placement will change the sound. You guys are on your own with all of the different DRIVERS. So get a UMIK and REW so that you can "roll your own." 

Per PWK quote: "You can't make what you can't measure because you don't know when you have it made."

I followed your plans exactly and it turned out great!. No reason to change it I should sell the remaining KP-600 parts and use them to finance something else.

TY

Mark