Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

11 minutes ago, Treyphan said:

Hello Everyone! I’ve lurked for a while, so this is my first post here! Nice to see all the SE Michigan people! I’m from Lake Orion, right near Pontiac. Small world.

Anyway, I’ve acquired a nice set of Heresy Is. they are in great shape, and Im about to order the parts for the mod! Im gonna go with the eminence woofers, and Crites autoformers.

I love the Heritage line, just about done restoring the Cabinets on a set of Cornwall I’s. They were trashed, now they look gorgeous in Walnut! 

Now it’s obvious the Heresy lack in the low end, I knew this going in. They are still stellar speakers, however, I purchased them with this mod in mind. Got em for a price I couldn’t pass up. Now I’m hoping to get a good boost in the low end, my room isn’t too big. But I’m mostly ready for the wonderful midrange this should bring. 

Here’s my question....it’s about efficiency, I’m using these with a McIntosh MC240.(about 55 Watts a channel) So any increase in efficiency is welcomed! So if I read correctly...this increases the Heresy to about 99db, correct?

The combo of the Heresy and 240 is already laughably good. Those ole tubes just smooth the horns like no other I’ve heard. Magic midrange for days with a Denon dl-103!

Thanks to all that have chipped in on this thread over the years! Especially ClaudeJ1 for all his efforts! I’ll be sure to report back when I’m done!

Welcome to the forum!  An excellent intro!.  What's your plan for caps on the crossover?  And, you are going to mod to the type B, correct?  I'm in the process of constructing a couple of pairs myself.  Enjoy the project, it is well worth it.

3 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Welcome to the forum!  An excellent intro!.  What's your plan for caps on the crossover?  And, you are going to mod to the type B, correct?  I'm in the process of constructing a couple of pairs myself.  Enjoy the project, it is well worth it.

Thank you!

Funny, I was going to look at caps after dinner. My first thought was Sonicaps.

yeah, I’m going to type B.

Any recs on caps? Should I go with the Daytons linked in the original post, what did you use? I’ve enjoyed sonicaps in the past.

Also, has anyone changed to a higher quality wire inside for the crossovers and drivers? Some people are into that, some aren’t. I was thinking of using some Extra Kimber wire I had lying around from a trade. Maybe I’ll just leave the stock wire though. Decisions....

42 minutes ago, Treyphan said:

Hello Everyone! I’ve lurked for a while, so this is my first post here! Nice to see all the SE Michigan people! I’m from Lake Orion, right near Pontiac. Small world.

Anyway, I’ve acquired a nice set of Heresy Is. they are in great shape, and Im about to order the parts for the mod! Im gonna go with the eminence woofers, and Crites autoformers.

I love the Heritage line, just about done restoring the Cabinets on a set of Cornwall I’s. They were trashed, now they look gorgeous in Walnut! 

Now it’s obvious the Heresy lack in the low end, I knew this going in. They are still stellar speakers, however, I purchased them with this mod in mind. Got em for a price I couldn’t pass up. Now I’m hoping to get a good boost in the low end, my room isn’t too big. But I’m mostly ready for the wonderful midrange this should bring. 

Here’s my question....it’s about efficiency, I’m using these with a McIntosh MC240.(about 55 Watts a channel) So any increase in efficiency is welcomed! So if I read correctly...this increases the Heresy to about 99db, correct?

The combo of the Heresy and 240 is already laughably good. Those ole tubes just smooth the horns like no other I’ve heard. Magic midrange for days with a Denon dl-103!

Thanks to all that have chipped in on this thread over the years! Especially ClaudeJ1 for all his efforts! I’ll be sure to report back when I’m done!

You are about 14 minutes from my house, so let me know if you ever need demos of my stuff or some measurements done. Diz Rotus is about the same distance in Bham. Small world. Give or take, the Super Heresy is a 100 db/watt speaker, so it will play very well with a Mc 240, which I used to own until I got a better deal on a Marantz 8B.

19 minutes ago, Treyphan said:

Maybe I’ll just leave the stock wire though. Decisions....

PWK would have said: "It won't make dime's worth of diffence."

I spend a full day with him in Hope back in 1985 (see my avatar). When I asked about the Monster Cable used in '85 Khorns at the factory Lab Hallway, he rolled his eyes and said: "It's the Marketing guys, you don't need an 8 gauge wire to drive a 30 gauge voice coil in a K33."

9 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You are about 14 minutes from my house, so let me know if you ever need demos of my stuff or some measurements done. Diz Rotus is about the same distance in Bham. Small world. Give or take, the Super Heresy is a 100 db/watt speaker, so it will play very well with a Mc 240, which I used to own until I got a better deal on a Marantz 8B.

Wow! Thanks for the offer! I may just take you up on that, sooner than later. 

Thats great to hear about the efficiency,  I may be Over worrying about the 240, she’s my baby though. Lol Its been gone through, and is totally up to snuff. 

The 8B is a real nice piece of steel, bet it sounds great with any of the heritage line!

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

PWK would have said: "It won't make dime's worth of diffence."

I spend a full day with him in Hope back in 1985 (see my avatar). When I asked about the Monster Cable used in '85 Khorns at the factory Lab Hallway, he rolled his eyes and said: "It's the Marketing guys, you don't need an 8 gauge wire to drive a 30 gauge voice coil in a K33."

Hah! That’s great! Makes sense, I’ll just leave the wire alone. 

The 240 should sound beautiful with them.  I've been using ClarityCaps from Madisound, and I know they are excellent in the B crossover.

I have (still have) Claude's original Super Heresy's, and they continue to impress all those that hear them.

1 hour ago, Treyphan said:

The 8B is a real nice piece of steel, bet it sounds great with any of the heritage line!

Funny you should say that. When I was in the Hope museum with PWK, I looked in the amp cabinet and saw a Marantz 8 in there. I said :" Mr. Klipsch, you can't put that amp in the museum, I'm using one on my Khorns." His reply: "That's a very good amplifier." But it's been gone for almost 30 years now. Sold to best friend's son for twice what I paid, and he sold it to a Japanese collector for twice what he paid. Keep that 240, it's a GEM!!

31 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

The 240 should sound beautiful with them.  I've been using ClarityCaps from Madisound, and I know they are excellent in the B crossover.

I have (still have) Claude's original Super Heresy's, and they continue to impress all those that hear them.

Please note that ALL the original measurements were done on Jim Jimbo's Super Heresy's, published here at the beginning. I can't believe it's bee over 4 years already. Time flies.

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Please note that ALL the original measurements were done on Jim Jimbo's Super Heresy's, published here at the beginning. I can't believe it's bee over 4 years already. Time flies.

Yes, it sure does.  And what's kind of interesting, is that unless you know better.....there don't seem to be any significant changes to be made to the original configuration that would make a serious difference.  Says a lot about your effort and measurements.

2 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

It's still there.  Saw it 2 weeks ago.

In Hope?? The original museum was in the old building where PWK did all his Khorn developments, including the infamous C.P. Boner Polycylindrical Surfaces for diffusion!

12 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Yes, it sure does.  And what's kind of interesting, is that unless you know better.....there don't seem to be any significant changes to be made to the original configuration that would make a serious difference.  Says a lot about your effort and measurements.

Half work planning, half science with a little luck thrown in, sometimes works better than expected! LOL.

8 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

In Hope?? The original museum was in the old building where PWK did all his Khorn developments, including the infamous C.P. Boner Polycylindrical Surfaces for diffusion!

Yes, in Hope.  The building directly across the street from the factory.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Well guys, seems I may have hit a snag. When I got these Heresies, I saw the back label that they were Heresy I. With a build date of April 85.(8516 are the first four in the serial number/sequential pair) so I assumed....yeah I know, that they would have the drivers a Series I has. Well they have the E2 network, which ok that’s fine. Then they have the K77 square magnet Tweeter, the k53k mid and k22-k woofers.

so these appear to be a Heresy 1.5 or something. 

Will the K53k work for this mod? I know cluadej1 has been very specific about obtaining different results with different configurations. Since these don’t have the K55 midrange, am I on my own with this?

or can I expect similar results? Not sure I remember seeing this question asked in the thread.

sorry if it was.

kinda bummed, was ready to pull the trigger on all the parts today.

45 minutes ago, Treyphan said:

Well guys, seems I may have hit a snag. When I got these Heresies, I saw the back label that they were Heresy I. With a build date of April 85.(8516 are the first four in the serial number/sequential pair) so I assumed....yeah I know, that they would have the drivers a Series I has. Well they have the E2 network, which ok that’s fine. Then they have the K77 square magnet Tweeter, the k53k mid and k22-k woofers.

so these appear to be a Heresy 1.5 or something. 

Will the K53k work for this mod? I know cluadej1 has been very specific about obtaining different results with different configurations. Since these don’t have the K55 midrange, am I on my own with this?

or can I expect similar results? Not sure I remember seeing this question asked in the thread.

sorry if it was.

kinda bummed, was ready to pull the trigger on all the parts today.

Well I went back re-read the thread. Seems I answered my own question in doing so. I see some other members have had the same issue, which was "resolved" by attenuating the K53 2-3 db more, to account for the K53 being 2-3db hotter than the k55. I was planning to get the Crites Autoformer, which would help in allowing more "tuning" options. 

Wouldnt this increase the efficieny a bit more? Seeing as the mid will need less power....I can see it hurting efficiency. 

I realize having a different mid will create a somewhat diff sound.....If i bought a pair of k55 of the 'bay, would it work with composite horn the 53 has? Anyone know?

Wondering if I scrap the idea.....man. I really wanted these. SHouldve opened when I bought em. I got a GREAT deal on them, so its not the end of the world. But yeah...you know...

Edited by Treyphan

On 5/31/2018 at 7:23 PM, Panelhead said:

I cannot find a nice pair of Heresy I to modify. Would like the real plywood cabinets, at 40 years old. But even later ones are expensive - 500.00.

Can get the Heresy iii for a little more than the Super Heresy total cost. I use subs, how much am I giving up going iii vs Super Heresy?

Nice pairs of I's will prob cost more than 500 if they have to be shipped. 

Suppliers of Baltic or Russian Birch is currently available (as used by Klipsch), and can be located. I have a Little Rock source.

Making your own cabs is way more desirable because for most of the old ones the wood grain was sealed. It is really hard to unlock the surfaces for finishes other than what they were originally, or black lacquer or just painting them.

Also, making your own cabinets allows you to increase the size just a smidge, and it allows you to through-mount the speakers on the motor board rather than behind the back surface of the motor board.

@Treyphan

I have a pair of DIY “Supers” that utilize the K-53 squawker and K-76 tweeter. See:

I am also in the process of converting a pair of HIPs with K-55s into “Supers.”  See:

The horn used with the K-53 does to mate with K-55s, and vice versa.

In both situations I’m using 3636 autoformers from  Bob Crites to fine tune the squawkers.  Soon I’l be in a position to try the K-53 in the HIP boxes to compare.  My guess is that either can work fine.  It’s my understanding that the woofers and the porting make the most difference.  Perhaps Claude, @ClaudeJ1, will chime in.

Welcome to the forums.

Forum member @Escher might soon have a pair of K-55s available.

• Like 1