Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

On 7/3/2018 at 10:23 PM, Deang said:

15 pages about a Heresy on steroids (dwarf Cornwall). This isn’t exactly rocket science folks. 

No one is more surprised than I am about all this, except you it seems😊

12 hours ago, Deang said:

15 pages about a Heresy on steroids (dwarf Cornwall). This isn’t exactly rocket science folks. 

Well, it's not just about the construction of the product, it's reactions, questions, compliments, suggestions, etc, etc, etc.  Perhaps you haven't read the entire thread, nor do you care to, but that's OK, we know you're not a rocket scientist....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Terry Palmer said:

I got my speakers converted. The bass is so much better. Even on a short stand up off the floor there’s nice bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, what exactly did you do? Xover changes, tweeter, what?

So, what exactly did you do? Xover changes, tweeter, what?

Nothing but filled them with some insulation and put a new back on with the 4”x4” port from Dayton. Moved the crossover to a side wall ( in these HP-70’s it was mounted on the back). Also added banana plugs for inputs. That’s all so far, I haven’t had time to tweak it much.

34 minutes ago, Terry Palmer said:

I’m not exactly sure either.
Hps4000.com

Saw this site before......over 10 years ago. I don't think Mr. Allen is messing with the guts of his "Heresys" under a different name, so it's probably safe to assume you have the same Xover.

Saw this site before......over 10 years ago. I don't think Mr. Allen is messing with the guts of his "Heresys" under a different name, so it's probably safe to assume you have the same Xover.

Yea these came out of a theater. I got three for $250. One had some water damage on the cabinet. I called Allen about a replacement cabinet and he said they were $250. And that the speakers cost $750 each.

Any ideas on an ideal distance from the wall, with the port?

Calgary version ... Heresy 1985 V1.5, updates including; B&C 12CL76 woofer and ALK CSW with second order LF added ... now @ClaudeJ1recipe ... although the CSW midrange cap is still a 2.2 uF (4.0 is on order).  New back panel is a composite of cork on high density foam board and 1/8th inch fir plywood all laminated together.  Parts Express Precision Port, foam lining in the cab, and new 12 awg wiring and 5 way binding posts.   I kept the original back panel in case I need to revert.

Definitely more and deeper base and I do think the midrange is better.  Thanks to all who have contributed in this thread, especially @ClaudeJ1 .  I have more to do for "finished" version, but my ears like where this is at.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 10:53 AM, jimjimbo said:

Well, it's not just about the construction of the product, it's reactions, questions, compliments, suggestions, etc, etc, etc.  Perhaps you haven't read the entire thread, nor do you care to, but that's OK, we know you're not a rocket scientist....

The construction of the product is outlined in post #10 on the very first page. If a DOER reads no further and simply follows the ORIGINAL and very specific RECIPE, he/she will be rewarded with better performance, even without a tweeter upgrade.

On 7/4/2018 at 2:10 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

So, I'm suggesting you try shorting out the inductor with a single pole switch for immediate A/B listening test on one channel, then measure if you hear a difference......just sayin'. When I did the simulation curves, it shows that the rolloff occurs 300 Hz. sooner than with the Eminence driver in the original Super Heresy. I'm not saying this was a bad choice, however the 1.68 mH inductance, coupled with the 52% greater cone Mass of the Dayton clearly shows this effect in the sims. So shorting out the inductor would remove that variable. It's certainly worth a try to see and hear.

Moved the left K-Horn out of its corner and set up a Heresy on the floor, 30 degree toe in, 1 foot from the side wall and 1 foot from the rear wall. Mic 1 metre on axis with squaker, sound absorber material on floor between speaker and mic.
Couldn't hear any difference with woofer crossover inductor in circuit or bypassed.
image.thumb.jpeg.04e4a0bcb98a5bbfb2fdb345e33de51c.jpegRan sweeps with the woofer only connected, no crossover, then with the crossover in circuit, very little difference until up around 600Hz.

Green - woofer direct to amp, Red - woofer connected to x-over.

However, the bass response was lumpy compared to previous measurements so I put the Heresy up on the lab stool (2 feet off the floor) still in the corner and remeasured and the bass was a lot smoother and easily compensated for with a bit of bass boost at the amplifier. Music sounded very good.
image.thumb.jpeg.ea5fb362908e549e027b269288dac934.jpeg
Red - as measured on stool, Green - amp bass boost at 3o'clock