Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

Since the Tangent uses all the same parts as the HII, I would build 4 new cabinets, with the same dimension as the Tangent 400 and move all the parts. Other than having a flimsy cabinet, the 400s are really good.

Bruce

Maybe a new Tangent thread should be started about this............................pun intended.

• Haha 1

I'll refrain from getting off into a Tangent then. ;)

ClaudeJ1, to your knowledge, has the Super Heresy conversion been done to the H2? Other than a crossover swap I can't see much else that would stop a person from trying.

41 minutes ago, Springy said:

ClaudeJ1, to your knowledge, has the Super Heresy conversion been done to the H2? Other than a crossover swap I can't see much else that would stop a person from trying.

I don't know of anyone who has done this. HOWEVER, You could just cut the hole, put in the port, the insulation, and do the woofer swap without changing the Xover, initially, just to see what you end up with. Then, if you don't like what you hear, modify the network.

Without changing the Xover, you will have more detailed midrange, stronger midbass, stronger bass (very strong it you put it in a small room) right off the bat.

4 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Would it be a safe assumption that if one were to replace the HIE network in Heresy HIP's with a Cornwall Type B it would achieve similar results?

If you do a B network, you may want to try swapping the iwiring polarities on both the mid and twee sections. Black wire to red on the strip and red wire to black on the strip, which is what a modified E does when you resolder and recap like a B.

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

If you also apply some internal foam to the cabinet, yes, I've done that very thing.

Since you own the Original Gold Standard Super Heresy, how does a modified HIP sound after conversion in comparison??

54 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Since you own the Original Gold Standard Super Heresy, how does a modified HIP sound after conversion in comparison??

It's not the same, but that's obviously because of the difference between the front porting of the HIP and the rear port of the Super.  The bass response of the HIP is improved modestly, but at the same time, I don't think the HIP is as placement sensitive because of that front porting.  I still much prefer the Super.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

It's not the same, but that's obviously because of the difference between the front porting of the HIP and the rear port of the Super.  The bass response of the HIP is improved modestly, but at the same time, I don't think the HIP is as placement sensitive because of that front porting.  I still much prefer the Super.

Any reason why you wouldn't plug the front ports, and do the backward firing ports?

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Yep, that's what I thought, but could not prove it. Rear porting allows for the large wavelength from 150 Hz. down to bounce off the wall and get some of the Acoustic Gain it needs.

On 7/26/2018 at 4:20 PM, Springy said:

Sort of.  The KP-201 tweeters and squawkers were combined with Eminence Delta Pro12a woofers and Super networks.  Today they and HIPs will meet up with @ClaudeJ1 and @Treyphan.  We shall hear what we shall hear.

• Like 1

Hello Hello!

Well, sorry it’s been a while fellow Klipscheads, but I’ve been SUPER busy this summer...anyway.

So Claude and I got together for a full fledged Audio Geek out today, spent about 9 hours running tests and tweaking my SH 1.5’s.

Sense I last reported, I’d made some changes. The top and mid was just too hot with the taps jumped 3db. Even with my vintage McIntosh Tube setup and vinyl it was screamin hot.

So I know Knocked the taps back to original E2 specs and took the 2nd 2uf cap off the mid and tweeter. While this certainly solved the “brightness” issue...I brought about a dullness. The top was basically gone. (As the measurements proved)

So after having to cancel last weekend(Sorry again Diz and Claude, hope to meet you soon Diz!) I made it over to Claude’s today, SH’s in toe.

we hooked one up and ran a sweep....believe @ClaudeJ1 will be in later with the plots, the werebasically rolling off hard a 6k!!!! No wonder there was no “sparkle”. 

This is when hen we decided to try a number of different crossover configs, none of which helped fully. 

Then greatness happened...we installed the B&C DE 120 tweeter using a billet aluminum “horn lens”. I soldered em up right quick...slapped the SH’s back together and didn’t even need to see the sweep plotted to know it was finally right....I could hear it. The graph confirmed with a VERY flat response out to 20k.

After a nice long day, I was ready to get home. But not before I soldered the other tweeter and mounted it.

I hadn’t yet heard music through them...so I raced home. Hooked the SH’s up to a nice strapped MC240 each(total overkill, I’ve got the gain way down, but why not?)

and they sounded incredible! 

Im pretty happy, after thinking I’ve had it a few times.....still thinking it could use a bit more. Well that bit  more is the tweeter and the gorgeous aluminum tweeter lens!

While the original tweeter can remain.....after hearing the B&C...it’s just worth it. 

So as @ClaudeJ1 said “different is different”

I now believe this to be the best version of the Super Heresy 1.5. We found the response was flatter WITH the 33uf cap. Measured both.

Bass response remains GREAT in real listening...I forget the numbers as I was more focused on the top end.

at any rate...it’s been a long day, but wanted to update. I’ll be back with more info in the next few days.

heres a few pics with the new tweets

58781244-9FFC-4DA9-AE8F-C1D8F0EE528D.jpeg

530ED5A6-6F64-4375-BF5B-AF5B1F3C63D8.jpeg

• Like 2