Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

@DizRotus....so you finally heard the Jube’s?!! Aren’t they crazy good!? Man, the image they throw is killer! 

I cant wait to hear what @ClaudeJ1 puts together for his next system. We’ve talked about it, and it sounds like it’s gonna he silly good.

hopefully the 3 of us can get together after the holidays. Would still like to meet ya, you know how busy life gets though.

After a few days with my new love, the TH sub,  I’m just beyond thrilled. I’ve now used it at different crossover freq’s Between 45-60 with my SH’s, a set of Boxak B-4005 Symphonies and some Altec Valencia’s.

Its taken music listening to an entirely different level. This isn’t just about the low end either. It’s transformed the entire spectrum. Adding detail and realism that’s hard to believe. The music seems “faster”, more rhytmic and Drums are as good as I’ve ever heard.

I did manage to do a bit of Movie watching with it, just a 2.1 setup. Watched the beginning of the Swordfish blue ray. A clip I really like to “test” a system with. Wow...just wow. Things in my house shook that I didn’t even know were there. Lol yet smooth smooth smooth. Just effortless. Which is what this design does.

The TH sub will remain with the Super Heresies, and I’m contemplating picking 3 more Heresies up to make a 5.1 System with. Probably just leave the other 3 as is. Use the SH as fronts. I need to get my Home Theatre Back up and Running. Been very focused on 2 channel analogue and Tubes the last year or so. So the HT got put on the back burner. But the Fiancée is on me to get it goin. Oh darn....if I have too...lol

Well, Merry Christmas, or happy whatever you celebrate to all in Klipschland. Have a great Holiday!

Matt

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I have the same reaction when I add two or more of my TH subs to my system in my small space.

Right? It’s great to finally have the sound I’ve been looking for fully. That is to say, all the sound.

Whats been a bit surprising to me, is that mine isn’t exactly in a small space. My home is a ranch with the “open floor plan”. So my Living room(where my main system is setup) opens to the kitchen/dining room and a hallway that goes to the bedrooms. So it’s not exactly ideal for low frequencies. But this thing is just perfect. Being a DIY guy at heart, and seeing as I have to always be working on something. I may build a second. Just because. Lol I’ve also got a buddy that heard it and wants one. He seemed serious, so if I help him, it will be the perfect time for me to build another.

These Super Heresy with a TH sub may be the best bang for your buck system you can get/make. People will have to get their hands a bit dirty, but it’s really not difficult. Especially as everyone in this thread can attest to.

When I picked these Heresies up, they were just a good deal, that I didn’t wanna pass up. I never intended them to be my Main Speakers. Just wanted to help the bass out a bit, as I was already going to do the Crossovers. Found this thread, and decided to give it a whirl. As all the detail was there, this didn’t seem like some half cocked “mod”. Because it wasn’t. Claude did his homework. 

After each step, the speakers just came more and more alive. So luckily they weren’t relegated to my basement full of speakers, to spend life waiting for me to get to them. They live on. 

Anyone out there just scanning this thread, contemplating this mod. Do it. It’s way cheaper than buying new speakers, and gets you a set that hang with the big boys. Toss a Good sub in the mix, and quality amplification and rock out!

On 12/23/2018 at 7:42 PM, DizRotus said:

I finally got around to taking my Crites @BEC DE-120-8 tweeters to Claude's @ClaudeJ1 to be tested.  I'll leave it to Claude to fill in the technical details and, perhaps, post the curves.  To my inexpert eyes the curves showed the 120 with Bob's plastic K-77-like lens/horn holds its own against the same driver with Dave A's @Dave A sexy aluminum lens and the B&C DE-110 with an aluminum lens.  I wish I had pulled the K-76 tweeter (with Bob's titanium diaphragms) from my DIY Supers to get tested also.

Claude's impending trip to deliver his Jubilees to their new home prompted me to go see and hear them before they're gone. Perhaps I can get the k-76 tested next year after Claude returns.

Thank you Claude.

You're welcome. Nice to know that all the options work well, and better than tweeters that were designed over 60 years ago. Modern CAD and Simulation software, along with great polymer materials have produced much better tweeters than any time in history. That being said, it's the BASS that benefits most from horn loading, but it does cost lumber, space, and dollars to do it right. No short cuts there are allowed by Physics!! That being said, Tweeters are cheap and easy compared to bass horns, which is why they are so popular!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

thanks @ClaudeJ1. I just wasn't sure how tight it needed to be secured to the cabinet. I cut them close enough where they would pretty much stay in place on their own, but will add a couple staples for extra support. Thanks as well for sharing your research and execution on this project. The results are great and easily heard.

10 minutes ago, haydukej said:

thanks @ClaudeJ1. I just wasn't sure how tight it needed to be secured to the cabinet. I cut them close enough where they would pretty much stay in place on their own, but will add a couple staples for extra support. Thanks as well for sharing your research and execution on this project. The results are great and easily heard.

You are welcome. I like the "easily heard" part, which is why we all do what we do, eh?

On 12/23/2018 at 7:42 PM, DizRotus said:

To my inexpert eyes the curves showed the 120 with Bob's plastic K-77-like lens/horn holds its own against the same driver with Dave A's @Dave A sexy aluminum lens and the B&C DE-110 with an aluminum lens. 

Same technology, different horn Lenses, with different ANGULAR coverage. Bottom line? You can't go wrong with any of them, vs. the old K-77's which can be refreshed with new diaphragms for better performance there as well. It's all about HOW MUCH you want to spend vs. the AUDIBLE return on investment to YOUR EARS.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@ClaudeJ1 I plan to build a set of Heresy (Super). The last set I built, (non Super) I stayed with exact parameters of the original, basically just building new cabinets for a set that barely survived a dog attack. This time, I would like to experiment a little, but keep fairly close on appearance/size. I already have the K700 horns, a couple pair of K77s, K55 solder lug mids and a set of E crossovers. Was planning on using Eminence  12FLA, but have not bought them yet. What would be the best bang for the buck as far as cabinet dimensions, port/no port, x-over updates/mods? I have been reading along and have an idea of what the Supers can do in the current cabinet size, so was just wondering what else could be achieved if building from scratch. If ported, I would also prefer a front port. Thanks

On 8/18/2019 at 11:38 AM, MookieStl said:

@ClaudeJ1 I plan to build a set of Heresy (Super). The last set I built, (non Super) I stayed with exact parameters of the original, basically just building new cabinets for a set that barely survived a dog attack. This time, I would like to experiment a little, but keep fairly close on appearance/size. I already have the K700 horns, a couple pair of K77s, K55 solder lug mids and a set of E crossovers. Was planning on using Eminence  12FLA, but have not bought them yet. What would be the best bang for the buck as far as cabinet dimensions, port/no port, x-over updates/mods? I have been reading along and have an idea of what the Supers can do in the current cabinet size, so was just wondering what else could be achieved if building from scratch. If ported, I would also prefer a front port. Thanks

You can build whatever you want but you can't call it a HERESY. My mod was to and ACTUAL Heresy cabinet that's over 40 years old. Any deviation from the original should be justified as a real performance improvement and not just using parts that happen to be "just laying around," like some of the guys tried to do. Lots of people on this forum have done the "Super H/Baby Cornwall mod and ALL of them, without exception have chosen to go no further because it works so well.

The best thing you can do with a pair of Super Heresy's is to put them on top of a pair of 15" Subwoofers as "speaker stands" or to build a Tapped Horn (or 4 in Dizrotus' case)  for them.

The best bang for the buck is the original "big magnet" woofer, whose specs are, basically,  the Klipsch K-42. Eminence Delta Pro 12A!

Please see my later posts and the curve with a different Eminence woofer on sale.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

If you want to build and ACTUAL Super Heresey, then don't change the formula. You are on your own if you use a woofer different from the 2 I recommend. I sure as heck don't want to do the Research and Development for free, which I already have, effectively, by sharing my horn designs and mods here, but only AFTER they have been proven to work.

You can build whatever you want but you can't call it a HERESY. My mod was to and ACTUAL Heresy cabinet that's over 40 years old. Any deviation from the original should be justified as a real performance improvement and not just using parts that happen to be "just laying around," like some of the guys tried to do. Lots of people on this forum have done the "Super H/Baby Cornwall mod and ALL of them, without exception have chosen to go no further because it works so well.

The best thing you can do with a pair of Super Heresy's is to put them on top of a pair of 15" Subwoofers as "speaker stands" or to build a Tapped Horn (or 4 in Dizrotus' case)  for them.

The best bang for the buck is the original "big magnet" woofer, whose specs are, basically,  the Klipsch K-42. 

Sorry was working from memory (not a good approach) I thought the 12FLA was one of the ones you suggested. I was just curious if a little more volume would help or allow a longer port. Wasn't looking for free R&D, just an opinion. I will stick with your original design, just port out the front.

I was planning on using with tapped horns like Diz has. I have a couple already and have built a few more for others here on the forum. 

Thanks

4 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Sorry was working from memory (not a good approach) I thought the 12FLA was one of the ones you suggested. I was just curious if a little more volume would help or allow a longer port. Wasn't looking for free R&D, just an opinion. I will stick with your original design, just port out the front.

I was planning on using with tapped horns like Diz has. I have a couple already and have built a few more for others here on the forum. 

Thanks

So now you have my curiosity, so I'm running the numbers of that particular woofer, which I don't mind doing, I just can't build it and measure it, but the simulation works well. Give me 10 more minutes and I'll have the answer.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So now you have my curiosity, so I'm running the numbers of that particular woofer, which I don't mind doing, I just can't build it and measure it, but the simulation works well. Give me 10 more minutes and I'll have the answer.

Thanks, I figured out why I got the woofer mixed up. It was Justin Weber that suggested the 12 FLA.

Haven't bought the woofers yet so can go whichever looks like it will work best.

3 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Thanks, I figured out why I got the woofer mixed up. It was Justin Weber that suggested the 12 FLA.

Haven't bought the woofers yet so can go whichever looks like it will work best.

OK, so here's the curves. What I would recommend is get the Delta 12 LFA on sale, since you will save at least 50-60% over the one I originally recommended.

BUT, BUT, BUT, do NOT change the Heresy "E" network Autoformer settings. Keep all the same capacitor values, NEW capacitors (2 uF both), and still add the exact same PORT. This will be a different mod altogether but SHOULD still sound way better than the original K22 woofer.

Not only is it cheaper, but it may end up as a more desirable mod because it's WAY EASIER to do....................less soldering.

Pro12Avs12LFA.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2019 at 12:28 PM, MookieStl said:

Justin Weber gave some good advice with that woofer. But ONLY if you use an "E" network as is with new capacitors. Maybe this will be a better mod, but one would not know until the LISTENING and comparing output to my original Mod with curves and songs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

OK, so here's the curves. What I would recommend is get the Delta 12 LFA on sale, since you will save at least 50-60% over the one I originally recommended.

BUT, BUT, BUT, do NOT change the Heresy "E" network Autoformer settings. Keep all the same capacitor values, NEW capacitors (2 uF both), and still add the exact same PORT. This will be a different mod altogether but SHOULD still sound way better than the original K22 woofer.

Not only is it cheaper, but it may end up as a more desirable mod because it's WAY EASIER to do....................less soldering.

Thank you. That's the direction I will go.

I get a new knee in few weeks, so if I get the wood cut, I will have a project to work on during recovery time.

My confusion may have a good outcome, usually doesn't.

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

You threw me too! Think you meant the Eminence Delta-12LFA?

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-delta-12lfa-12-low-frequency-driver--290-416#lblProductDetails

Don't think JW uses the standard xovers in any of his boxes with front ports, been drooling over them for a year or so now!

If you look at my curve overlays above, this woofer will work fine in a HERESY box with the same 4x4" round port. Putting the port in the REAR will give more bass output because it's closer to a wall and a corner than the front port. 

• Like 1