Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

13 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Thank you. That's the direction I will go.

I get a new knee in few weeks, so if I get the wood cut, I will have a project to work on during recovery time.

My confusion may have a good outcome, usually doesn't.

You will have a good outcome this time.

I suppose I SHOULD have said: "I won't build one and measure" rather than taking about "R&D." I don't mind doing curves to compare the same well tuned Heresy box with a different woofer because that part is already optimum. I think you will have a good mod if you do as I suggest. In other words, do NOT change the connections to the Klipsch T2-A Autoformer at all.

My Supers from your protege work very well, in the corners, angled up as if on risers. More bass than the old 1990 Heresy IIs, imaging that rivals my Forte IIIs in a room three times as large with a 17' cathedral ceiling!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

My Supers from your protege work very well, in the corners, angled up as if on risers. More bass than the old 1990 Heresy IIs, imaging that rivals my Forte IIIs in a room three times as large with a 17' cathedral ceiling!

Well if Mookie does what I suggested, all he'll be missing is a 3 db higher output in the midrange and treble, so it will have a different BALANCE/Voicing altogether, BUT still be an improvement over a sealed box. And,  he will have some pretty awesome BASS that will blow away the original non-modded Heresy!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I suppose I SHOULD have said: "I won't build one and measure" rather than taking about "R&D." I don't mind doing curves to compare the same well tuned Heresy box with a different woofer because that part is already optimum. I think you will have a good mod if you do as I suggest. In other words, do NOT change the connections to the Klipsch T2-A Autoformer at all.

I will do exactly as you suggest, and will report back.

Now to decide if I want to build decorators or normal. Always wanted ones with cane grills!

• Like 2

Just now, MookieStl said:

I will do exactly as you suggest, and will report back.

Now to decide if I want to build decorators or normal. Always wanted ones with cane grills!

Yes, please share you success here. One final note: The port in the REAR is really the best place for it, from an appearance as well as performance point of view, so I would put it there if I were you. I just did my own SH 2.0's (not the best bang for the buck) and I put the port in the rear, like always.

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

the LFA's go slightly lower than the 3012 Kappalights I utilize @MookieStl, 2 HZ lower! Their price has gone down now!!

The curves agree with you, but you sacrifice the midrange detail to do it (which may be just fine, IDK). It's all about BALANCE and Voicing in the Network. But all these mods should be better than the original 40 year old Heresy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes, please share you success here. One final note: The port in the REAR is really the best place for it, from an appearance as well as performance point of view, so I would put it there if I were you. I just did my own SH 2.0's (not the best bang for the buck) and I put the port in the rear, like always.

Sounds good. I was only thinking front port in case not in a corner or near a wall.

1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

Sounds good. I was only thinking front port in case not in a corner or near a wall.

The port still puts out super low bass into the room, even without a wall or corner, It's tuned to 54 Hz., after all. These LONG wavelengths from the port are still going out into the room, but withouth the "acoustic amplification" of the wall/corner reflective surfaces to boost them.

19 hours ago, MookieStl said:

2 Hz ain't much, but I'll take it.

Still may need a sub. I saved the cut file on the lil' Mike 25 hz tapped horn sub, so wont be too tough to do.

Well, DizRotus has 4 of them and they certainly do the job. But you'll be amazed at how much MUSICAL LOW BASS you will get out of a PORTED Heresy box with the right woofer, and without subs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The port still puts out super low bass into the room, even without a wall or corner, It's tuned to 54 Hz., after all. These LONG wavelengths from the port are still going out into the room, but withouth the "acoustic amplification" of the wall/corner reflective surfaces to boost them.

I sometimes use my other Heresy outside. Even used them a couple times as rear surrounds for an outdoor movie night we do at work (3 LS across the front). 

But that is rare. Rear port it is.

5 hours ago, MookieStl said:

I sometimes use my other Heresy outside. Even used them a couple times as rear surrounds for an outdoor movie night we do at work (3 LS across the front). 

But that is rare. Rear port it is.

Hey, if it's good enough for the $20,000 Klipsch Palladiums to have rear ports, it's good enough for a Super Heresy!

Hey guess hope I didn’t confuse anyone. The 12LFA can be used if building your own Jubs or Heresy style but you’ll need to make adjustments. My adjustments are done using either a ALk universal or the custom 2way Alk designed for me. 

Re Sonics. It’s a solid performer with much deeper more taught bass. Like a k33 vs a kappa 15C.  

Dave Hairrs cut my baffles for my 2way diy heresy.  I spoke without Bob Crites’ son about offering the same.  I think they have a lot of projects but agreeed that it was a worth while idea.  

Move not done a ported 12”. Though not digging as deep.  The sealed cab has no bass hump which is a good thing I think.  

On my cornscalas or late. The ports are 4” pvp pipe from Home Depot. The ports are easier to work with then building port shelf’s and what not. I then take a 1/2” round router to do a round over and have it blend into the baffle.  

Hope some of this helps.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justinsweber said:

Hey guess hope I didn’t confuse anyone. The 12LFA can be used if building your own Jubs or Heresy style but you’ll need to make adjustments. My adjustments are done using either a ALk universal or the custom 2way Alk designed for me. 

Re Sonics. It’s a solid performer with much deeper more taught bass. Like a k33 vs a kappa 15C.  

Dave Hairrs cut my baffles for my 2way diy heresy.  I spoke without Bob Crites’ son about offering the same.  I think they have a lot of projects but agreeed that it was a worth while idea.  

Move not done a ported 12”. Though not digging as deep.  The sealed cab has no bass hump which is a good thing I think.  

On my cornscalas or late. The ports are 4” pvp pipe from Home Depot. The ports are easier to work with then building port shelf’s and what not. I then take a 1/2” round router to do a round over and have it blend into the baffle.  

Hope some of this helps.  

Justin, I was in charge of confusing people on this issue. When you stated the you used the 12LFA in your two way Heresy, I thought that was one of the ones Claude was using in his mod. I was wrong. It did spark a good conversation so my bad had a good result. I have used the 15C with good results so was easily led down this path for the 12" as well.

Thanks for the tips.

5 hours ago, justinsweber said:

Hope some of this helps.  

Your comments are from one who has done all this, rather than simply provide opinions based on the words of others, so they have veracity and merit application. Thanks for contributing.