Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

On 9/27/2019 at 8:08 AM, MookieStl said:

Get all of the bugs worked out, I plan to start mine as soon as I can get around without a walker.

I have all the parts: LFA woofers, K55V, K700, CT120 tweets, recapped E x over, ports, etc. Just need wood.

I had hoped to be first, but looks like Dave is beating me to it. Hopefully he will have some good results and some pointer for me.

BTW, I still stand by my original woofer choice for both Versions of the Super Heresy. Either the Delta Pro 12A or the Kappa Lite 3012 HO for the highest output possible, highest frequency flatness in that box from 50 Hz. on up, and lowest distortion via greater MFG rated specifications and my simulations.

Those who have built them tell me that either one is a success, BUT I have to admit that the version 2.0, while a little more expensive, is the very best of the two Versions, because of the better woofer AND Dave's tweeter. Now that Dave tells me he was able to fit a DE-10 driver into his smaller MAHL, I would say that OPTIMALLY, one could save money on the Tweeter Driver and put it into the KappaLite 3012 HO, which still has about 1 db higher output overall in the bass and midrange area. Since the K55 Midrange is heavily attenuated by the Autoformer in the E Network, it's low distortion/high output has never been an issue.

When you guys use all these other woofers that are a little bit CHEAPER, you are making compromises which I, personally would NOT do.

I'm not saying this to discourage your efforts. I'm just pointing out some hard TRUTHS.

That being said, it's your EARS, and your MONEY!!

• Like 1

BTW, the "Baby Cornwall" designation doesn't mean that it has "full" Cornwall performance. The Cornwall, with it's 15" driver and WAY larger box is the champ in the low bass department. It gets to a useable 30 hz. whereas the SH only get down to a useable 50 hz.  I still recommend a Tapped Horn subs with the SH, whereas a Cornwall box gets low enough for music not to require one. The new Corwall IV, looks like a speaker that should strike fear into the hearts of other brands that were at the last Hi Fi show. Just sayin'

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 7:08 AM, MookieStl said:

Get all of the bugs worked out, I plan to start mine as soon as I can get around without a walker.

I have all the parts: LFA woofers, K55V, K700, CT120 tweets, recapped E x over, ports, etc. Just need wood.

I had hoped to be first, but looks like Dave is beating me to it. Hopefully he will have some good results and some pointer for me.

7 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

BTW, I still stand by my original woofer choice for both Versions of the Super Heresy. Either the Delta Pro 12A or the Kappa Lite 3012 HO for the highest output possible, highest frequency flatness in that box from 50 Hz. on up, and lowest distortion via greater MFG rated specifications and my simulations.

Those who have built them tell me that either one is a success, BUT I have to admit that the version 2.0, while a little more expensive, is the very best of the two Versions, because of the better woofer AND Dave's tweeter. Now that Dave tells me he was able to fit a DE-10 driver into his smaller MAHL, I would say that OPTIMALLY, one could save money on the Tweeter Driver and put it into the KappaLite 3012 HO, which still has about 1 db higher output overall in the bass and midrange area. Since the K55 Midrange is heavily attenuated by the Autoformer in the E Network, it's low distortion/high output has never been an issue.

When you guys use all these other woofers that are a little bit CHEAPER, you are making compromises which I, personally would NOT do.

I'm not saying this to discourage your efforts. I'm just pointing out some hard TRUTHS.

That being said, it's your EARS, and your MONEY!!

I never said anything about going Cheaper!

Since I was building new cabinets, I asked if it would be beneficial to modify volume. But I misspoke as to the woofer model. You were kind enough to run the models and like how it looked. Is this not a good choice? I already have the woofers and rebuilt the x over to normal E specs. If I hadn't gotten a new knee early this week, they would be done.

Should I alter the course or just keep my head down and run with it?

@Dave A what are you findings so far with your build?

1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

what are you findings so far with your build?

Per Claude's suggestion I switched the 2uf mid capacitor for a 4uf and unwound the 2.5mh coil to 1.5uf.  If you do not have a meter this is right at 109" of wire you take off. I thought at first they were a bit muddy but when I put the tweeter at sitting ear level the definition was much better. Before I had them sitting on a set of La Scalas and they were up to high. The bass is startling from a box that small and if you don't have the space for a Cornwall or Chorus this is a great substitute. I have a small belt 3/4" wide belt belt sander and I used it to bevel the inside of the woofer cutout as the cloth surround will hit it in heavy bass and sound like crap.

It is a project well worth doing if you already have that Heresy I sitting there. I would not do it with the later Heresy's since they do not have the K-55-V K700 horn and are not plywood.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave A said:

Per Claude's suggestion I switched the 2uf mid capacitor for a 4uf and unwound the 2.5mh coil to 1.5uf.  If you do not have a meter this is right at 109" of wire you take off. I thought at first they were a bit muddy but when I put the tweeter at sitting ear level the definition was much better. Before I had them sitting on a set of La Scalas and they were up to high. The bass is startling from a box that small and if you don't have the space for a Cornwall or Chorus this is a great substitute. I have a small belt 3/4" wide belt belt sander and I used it to bevel the inside of the woofer cutout as the cloth surround will hit it in heavy bass and sound like crap.

It is a project well worth doing if you already have that Heresy I sitting there. I would not do it with the later Heresy's since they do not have the K-55-V K700 horn and are not plywood.

All good to know.

I'm utilizing many old and some new parts. Gunna build the cabinet.

I will keep these pointers in mind when I get back in action.

14 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

I need to find some more H1’s
Wife would not be happy if I started to cut up the H1’s that are in the living room
I think she likes them more than I do. Lol

I think she likes center channel output more than stereo output based on the dual center speaker setup............unless of course you are using the Yamaha strictly as a big TV stand!! LOL.

• Haha 1

I think she like center channel output more than stereo output based on the dual center speaker setup............unless of course you are using the Yamaha strictly as a big TV stand!! LOL.

I am using the Yamaha as the center, the svs is there because I’m to lazy to move it and this is the safest place to keep it for now. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings from Oregon,

I want to take a moment and thank you @ClaudeJ1 for your masterpiece of a build. I followed your recipe to a T and am so stoked on these things. Also @Dave A  machine work is fantastic and I recommend his work 

I got these Heresys on craigslist having one woofer with a ripped up cone and decide to look for option on fixing them.  I stumbled upon this thread and made the decision to bite the bullet and build them. I had a friend try to give me a different woofers to use instead of the Eminence but I was adamant about wanting to follow an experts advice to see if the results were worth it. And dude they were totally worth it.  I'm convinced these are the best speakers i will ever own and am selling off the rest of my stock. I encourage anyone to build these as they are fantastically great.

I was not a big fan of black speaker cabinets and prefer seeing  wood grain. So I stripped the paint off and tried some wood bleach to lighten them up as well. The end result was something unique that i thought looked kind of cool.

image.thumb.png.d2917d47a1e52b97213f712bfefa138f.pngimage.thumb.png.46928d33f226a213b2c88682811ec67c.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

I was not a big fan of black speaker cabinets and prefer seeing  wood grain. So I stripped the paint off and tried some wood bleach to lighten them up as well. The end result was something unique that i thought looked kind of cool.

Those weren't birch, that grain is wild!

Looks like somebody painted over Rambling Rose, and if that is so bring him over to any North Western Klipsch-head so he can punch him in the nose :mad:

311-Budman-s-Rambling-Rose-Cornwalls-mad

* I saved this photo from a post by forum member @Budman a couple of years ago just because I'm awestruck by this wood that looks similar to an agate!

Those do look kinda splotchy but if you could re work them and get the level of black in it more even.... you might be able to turn them into something near to what they were in their full glory.

The Super Heresy are great, I know I like them better than the Heresy IIs I had for decades.

& welcome, you started out with some good modified Klipsch

It will only get worse when you read and learn more of what these guys know about!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

I stumbled upon this thread and made the decision to bite the bullet and build them. I had a friend try to give me a different woofers to use instead of the Eminence but I was adamant about wanting to follow an experts advice to see if the results were worth it. And dude they were totally worth it.  I'm convinced these are the best speakers i will ever own and am selling off the rest of my stock. I encourage anyone to build these as they are fantastically great.

Well, that is quite and endorsement. E Pluribus Unum. Thank You. Glad you are enjoying them as much as you do. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

Pretty sure they are birch, just happen to have a crazy grain to them, they look cool.

Ouch, I was having fun with it, I can see the difference but the red mixed in after he applied the polyurethane really does look reminiscent of the RR.

My raw birch IIs were just the normal grain, @TylerDurden 's look like 180 proof grain!

* found another thread "Holy Grail" these could be the Persian Nutwood... it was similar to the above also!

Edited by JohnJ
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, been rehabbing the new knee for 5 weeks, time to make sawdust! Got most parts cut today and will finish up cutting tomorrow. Assembly should start this weekend as well depending on my endurance, which has been low. Knee feels good, i just run out of gas easily.

IMG_4275.thumb.JPG.40a599838d20d91a8dfb0b4b1218b6bb.JPG

• Like 3