Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

4 hours ago, MookieStl said:

OK, been rehabbing the new knee for 5 weeks, time to make sawdust! Got most parts cut today and will finish up cutting tomorrow. Assembly should start this weekend as well depending on my endurance, which has been low. Knee feels good, i just run out of gas easily.

IMG_4275.thumb.JPG.40a599838d20d91a8dfb0b4b1218b6bb.JPG

Say Mookie you DO know that's not the right kind of stuff to use when building high quality speakers right? There are studies out there proving layers confuse sound waves and they don't know if they should be going up and down or left to right or both.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Say Mookie you DO know that's not the right kind of stuff to use when building high quality speakers right? There are studies out there proving layers confuse sound waves and they don't know if they should be going up and down or left to right or both.

that's what the port is for, to let all the confused sound waves out. 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, MookieStl said:

The doctors!

Hope to try the Supers out tomorrow. Just had them playing softly at work today.

Well, about 30 watts should get them to sound like JBL Paragons, where not much below 50 Hz. peaks out, unless your happen to have Room Gain like I had in my Indianapolis Bedroom, where they, surprisingly,  dug down to 30 Hz. with vengeance!

Ok, first unofficial review. After playing at low levels for many hours we finally cranked these babys (a little). We have a very cool president that allow music to be played in our front office and during our 10:00 "stretch" session for our office employees, we play the music pretty loud. Normally it is a pair of standard Heresy's and a small 10" Ulitimax subwoofer. Today was the "Almost" Super Heresy turn only without the sub. Bass was much more evident than the standard Heresy on their own. 

I said "almost" due to the fact that these did not follow Claude's recipe to last detail. Earlier in the thread, we discussed using the Eminence Delta 12LFA woofer, which I did. Added the recommended rear port, standard (recapped) E crossovers, K55V solder lub mid (originally from a pair of LSI with new diaphragms) and the Crites 120 tweeter. All seem to work well in combination. Very pleased at this point. Heading out of town for the weekend so further critical listening wont be for several more days.

• Like 1

Got them pretty well broken in and they have met the objective. I am going to use these in an area where I wanted that classic Heresy sound but did not want to add a sub. They are in place and sound wonderful, with no lack of bass. Claude, thanks for the help. @Woofers and Tweeters, you might recognize the receiver! I will do the grill covers next week (router table is down)

SH.thumb.jpg.0a02b1d2f72f96bb07b02c98cab6296a.jpg

• Like 2

I thought about stopping to pick that receiver up when I was passing through STL about 6 weeks ago. It was cold, the rain was pouring down, was ~ 11:30 pm and I was riding a motorcycle I had just bought in Salt Lake City.... Don't give up on me yet, I'll get out there again, some day. 

Okay, uncle, I yield ... I'm going to have to build a pair of these. Your setup looks great and I bet that it sounds just as good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Randyh said:

Hi Claude , QUESTION , i NEVER LISTENED TO A NEO WOOFER -

are NEO magnet woofers  superior technology , overall , these woofers are light weight , and they can handle more power , but sound wise are they better  to the ear  -

Short answer...........NO. As close to exactly the same to the ear as possible. Your unique room, placement, and sweet spot will make a far greater difference (like 100 times), than the type of magnet. You do gain about 1 liter extra air space in the box, which accounts for a teensy bit better bass, but I don't think you can really hear it because it's overwhelmed by the factors in the 3rd sentence.

• Like 1