Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

Life and the Holidays got in the way, so I just now started to do my grills. Always wanted cane grills so.....

This is the first one and needs a little tweaking but I really like the retro look of these S Heresy's and above all, the sound they produce.

Also got them up on stands and off the floor.

cane.thumb.JPG.dc9c859c883ebb95195530fcc9c59d7a.JPG

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

Life and the Holidays got in the way, so I just now started to do my grills. Always wanted cane grills so.....

This is the first one and needs a little tweaking but I really like the retro look of these S Heresy's and above all, the sound they produce.

Also got them up on stands and off the floor.

cane.thumb.JPG.dc9c859c883ebb95195530fcc9c59d7a.JPG

Love that look as well and those look fantastic.  Do you notice big differences in the sound with the grills off?  Pulled them off of the 396's after someone else recommended and couldn't put them back on, but totally different grill.

Nice freaking work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

Love that look as well and those look fantastic.  Do you notice big differences in the sound with the grills off?  Pulled them off of the 396's after someone else recommended and couldn't put them back on, but totally different grill.

Nice freaking work!

Have not even turned them on since i set that one in place. I will be curious as this cane is very thick. (but sure is purdy)

I have to tweak that one and start on the second one later today. Will give a listen tonight.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Have not even turned them on since i set that one in place. I will be curious as this cane if very thick. (but sure is purdy)

I have to tweak that one and start on the second one later today. Will give a listen tonight.

Considering what you do for a living, when are you starting the speaker grill branch of the business?  

• Like 2

On 9/29/2019 at 1:53 AM, carlthess40 said:

I need to find some more H1’s
Wife would not be happy if I started to cut up the H1’s that are in the living room
I think she likes them more then I do. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since your are making a hole in the rear, it's hardly "cutting them up." Plus when you put them back the same place, not only will they have more detail from upgrading the tweeter, but they will bass like crazy from the loading in those cavities they are placed in. She will love it.

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

Considering what you do for a living, when are you starting the speaker grill branch of the business?  

I don't want to take the fun out of it. Speakers are what I do when I'm not doing what I do for a living.

(did that make sense?)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2019 at 12:53 AM, carlthess40 said:

I need to find some more H1’s
Wife would not be happy if I started to cut up the H1’s that are in the living room
I think she likes them more then I do. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Since your are making a hole in the rear, it's hardly "cutting them up." Plus when you put them back the same place, not only will they have more detail from upgrading the tweeter, but they will bass like crazy from the loading in those cavities they are placed in. She will love it.

The back panel is nothing more than a rectangular piece of of plywood. You could make a whole new set with the cut outs for the port with very little additional effort. You could then save the originals if you decide to go back to stock and there will have been no "cutting up"!

Chances are, you won't want to convert back.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Speakers are what I do when I'm not doing what I do for a living.

(did that make sense?)

Absolutely! I've done audio recording on the side for years... would have loved to have had a real studio. But what a headache when you have to do it to pay the bills.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

The back panel is nothing more than a rectangular piece of of plywood. You could make a whole new set with the cut outs for the port with very little additional effort. You could then save the originals if you decide to go back to stock and there will have been no "cutting up"!

Exactly what I’ve done.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

Or fill your newly cut port with a piece of dense foam, a plug. Hobby Lobby sells foam in 2 and 3" thick sheets. I purchased a couple sheets to make plugs for my CW3 ports, an experiment in ported vs sealed cab. Bass reflex to sealed in 60 seconds for two heresy cabs.

• 1 month later...
Just now, Randyh said:

quick question Claude , what kind of tweeter-horn is shown on the picture on the 1st picture

The driver is the B&C DE-120 but the CONICAL horn lens was sold by ALK Engineering oaver 6 years ago. It's perfomance is good, but the sMAHL from DaveA is what I NOW recommend with that same driver, since it's TRACTRIX shape measures and SOUNDS even better!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Yep, dat be the one....

Real improvements are baby steps beyond the originals that you have and whatever nuances exist would be, more than likely, overwhelmed by the ROOM acoustics and PLACEMENT anyhow.

On 3/7/2020 at 9:54 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Real improvements are baby steps beyond the originals that you have and whatever nuances exist would be, more than likely, overwhelmed by the ROOM acoustics and PLACEMENT anyhow.

You don't think I would place them anywhere but perfectly?  And have stunningly beautiful room acoustics?  How very disappointing.

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

You don't think I would place them anywhere but perfectly?  And have stunningly beautiful room acoustics?  How very disappointing.

LOL. I just didn't want anyone to feel they need to spend more money to get the latest recommendations is all. If you were to run for President of the Smarta$$ Society, I would vote for you!