Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

17 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The driver is the B&C DE-120 but the CONICAL horn lens was sold by ALK Engineering oaver 6 years ago. It's perfomance is good, but the sMAHL from DaveA is what I NOW recommend with that same driver, since it's TRACTRIX shape measures and SOUNDS even better!

Manufactured by Dave Harris at Fastlane Audio and sold by Al. K. Dave also sold the wooden Fastrac mid horns and the Elliptrac horns. He no longer has his website up, but he still does some work.

DaveA's machined aluminum horns are awesome...

On 3/8/2020 at 4:14 PM, Marvel said:

Manufactured by Dave Harris at Fastlane Audio and sold by Al. K. Dave also sold the wooden Fastrac mid horns and the Elliptrac horns. He no longer has his website up, but he still does some work.

DaveA's machined aluminum horns are awesome...

Yes, DaveA is a talented man with high standards of excellence in his work. From the Fastlane Dave, I heard the "Michelin Man" horns and they really sounded good with Golden Jubilees (2012 measurements and music listening). Lots of talent has remained with this group.

• 2 months later...

Here is my take on the Super Heresy.

What started as birch cabinets ended up 

cherry veneer. The shipper did a horrible job of packing and they got terribly beat up. With the partial refund I bought a sheet of veneer and covered them. Sound is superb to my ears. I appreciate all the work that went into the design. 

5131001C-9EA5-4161-BB05-438C097102B0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Crossover network question for you chaps. 

Finally my set of DeltaPro 12a are in the house and I can begin with the mods, but after reading a couple of times the first pages of the thread questions arise. 

I am parting from original Type E Networks, so, is it just a matter of changing one of the caps to 4uF and changing some of the taps in the autoformer, no doubts there but what confuses me is some mentions about inverting the phase on squeaker and tweeter. Is that the case with an E network? Is there a final network schematic you can share so I can clear all fog and ensure I'm doing this correctly? 

Thanks, 

Rob. 

On 7/12/2020 at 12:25 PM, bluerob said:

Crossover network question for you chaps. 

Finally my set of DeltaPro 12a are in the house and I can begin with the mods, but after reading a couple of times the first pages of the thread questions arise. 

I am parting from original Type E Networks, so, is it just a matter of changing one of the caps to 4uF and changing some of the taps in the autoformer, no doubts there but what confuses me is some mentions about inverting the phase on squeaker and tweeter. Is that the case with an E network? Is there a final network schematic you can share so I can clear all fog and ensure I'm doing this correctly? 

Thanks, 

Rob. 

Mine are really flat with very little room eq as L/R side channels (11 total for Atmos).

I would get just SIX 2 uF capacitors and use 2 in parallel for the midrange, and just one for the Tweeter in each speaker box. The E already has reverse polarity built in, so you just need to change the Taps on the Autoformer. Just leave all the connections alone on the connector strip.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 9:08 AM, mcnelson said:

Here is my take on the Super Heresy.

What started as birch cabinets ended up 

cherry veneer. The shipper did a horrible job of packing and they got terribly beat up. With the partial refund I bought a sheet of veneer and covered them. Sound is superb to my ears. I appreciate all the work that went into the design. 

5131001C-9EA5-4161-BB05-438C097102B0.jpeg

A little follow up. Crossovers are built with all new components including Bob’s autoformer. 

59A9FCBE-83EA-43D4-80D0-3E7099C56A5E.jpeg

1590EE33-755D-4A3D-A2A5-D27E962E0702.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Hey all.  I’ve amassed all the parts for my SH build.   I am opting to build new rear panels should it ever be needed to bring them back to fully stock.  My question (apologies if it’s been asked somewhere in the previous 30 pages).

Regarding the ports, Is there an optimal placement in the bottom rear panel?   I’m using the one cited earlier from Parts Express and just looking for where to drill out the 4.25” hole.   

On 1/19/2021 at 7:28 PM, RandyH000 said:

Just about here --

post-20774-0-54860000-1401325403_thumb.j

Perfect, thanks.   That’s exactly what I needed to know!

Will be posting up a bunch of parts from the donor ‘83 Heresys to the Garage Sale shortly (K22s, crossovers, original badges etc...)

Edited by ebradfordrich
Update

• 2 weeks later...

Question... New to builds and was considering trying to build a super heresy. I came across the kappa pro 12-a’s locally for a decent price and was wondering how far out of spec that would be? Would there need to be altered crossover mods? I don’t really know how to read or measure so figured I’d ask. I have seen the recommended delta pro 12 a and a couple others as the preferred choice. Additionally, if I wanted to try to make a vertical super heresy and needed to build a cabinet would I just make it slightly longer and narrower to get the same area? 

• 1 month later...

I made a bit of a mistake in upgrading the caps on my Heresy II's with the stock board (Mounted on square plastic terminal on rear).

I am seriously interested in this mod because I had the wrong tweeters when I bought them and one of my k-24-k woofers is cracked. (also one is black and the other is the greyish kevlar stuff. confused why because they both have the k-24-k stamp on the back. maybe spray painted? ANYWAY)

So now that I just received my DE-120's and experimented with some insulation in the box, I am still not happy. I've been considering the Deltas since I got them AND your port idea. My original mid drivers sound loud. louder than everything. Interested in modding more but unsure of where to go from here. I've heard about L-pads and resistors. What about cap change? How can I get myself setup for when I do in fact get the deltas? How can I get myself setup for the type B crossover without buying a whole new board? I do not have the option to tap like the heresy 1. I will attach the h2 schematic

Also whats the difference in the delta pro 12a and the delta pro12lfa? Which is better? one is a subwoofer the other is mid bass?

My end goal is to get a little more out of these in the bass department. Also taming the mids and maybe the tweeters. I know it is possible, just unsure how to proceed. There is  ton of information on here about heresy 1 mods, not much for heresy 2. I Am considering the port too, I don't have much into these and the cabinets aren't the nicest things you've ever seen. Also have tangent 500's with the same components as heresy 2 that i'd like to do something with. Maybe create a better cab and make the passive an active? thats another day.

Thanks for any help

post-18108-1381934876751.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought the Daytons. Before I return them I want you guys to check this out. I calculated the port online that I just so happen to have and it is lining up almost identical with everything the daytons have for specs. Maybe the port for the dayton woofers needs to be 3" instead of 4"? Or am I more confused than usual?

Port is 3 " diameter 4 inch long

Fs and Fb match, a lot of the data is close. Am i missing something here?

https://ibb.co/47kHV8Q 
https://ibb.co/2v89Prb 
https://ibb.co/L17PBWC
https://ibb.co/JpxCkbN Dayton Specs