Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

Hey Guys,

as i am in covid quarantene, i have started to mod my Heresy 1's. I ordered the Eminence Delta pro 12a which will come tomorrow, so i now want to cut out the holes for the ports. now i face a problem that i have no room to put the port in the lower part.

are there any side effects to expect, when i place the port centered between woofer & squawker, like in the picture below? 

Thanks in advance,
Karl

klipsch_port2.jpg

Hi Karl!

Curious why you don't have room in the lower corners for the ports? Unless something else has been modified, you should have plenty of room.. Acoustically, I'm not qualified to know if there will be a difference in sonic results by putting it in the center of your speaker back.

the thing is, that i had  installed the viablue terminals in the lower section, as shown in the pic....
and there is not enough room left on the sides to it without having to scrap the side girders to make the 4"  port fit.... 

• 3 weeks later...

SkyPirate,  I’m curious about your Aleph J amp.  I just built one, and the boards look quite different from the ones in your picture.  Where did they come from?   Mine were from the DIYaudio store.  They have 4 mosfets per side:  https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/pass-labs/937026d1617032053-aleph-build-guide-noobs-e9cd7a68-807e-4a65-a694-a56e8530f5e1-jpg

On 5/28/2021 at 2:39 PM, alanhuth said:

SkyPirate,  I’m curious about your Aleph J amp.  I just built one, and the boards look quite different from the ones in your picture.  Where did they come from?   Mine were from the DIYaudio store.  They have 4 mosfets per side:  https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/pass-labs/937026d1617032053-aleph-build-guide-noobs-e9cd7a68-807e-4a65-a694-a56e8530f5e1-jpg

Alanhuth, .

Good eye! The boards on my AJ are the new "ZenMod" boards that Zen designed recently. He said he got tired of people struggling over the same issues with the old board design (I didn't have experience with it, so I"m not sure what those issues were). I wouldn't be surprised to see Zen's revision become what the DiyAudio store sells at some point. Some discussion of it over there on the AJ build thread.. I'm loving the amp though.. It's very quiet and sounds lovely.. esp after doing the "Super Hersey" mod! (Also, I rotated my boards so that the mosfets are at the bottom! Noob error)

Cheers!

Partially finished ZM/AJ board below!

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 12.04.51 AM.png

Wow!  I have seen ZenMod.  He’s very active and knowledgeable, but I had no idea he actually built a new board.  I will go read up on the DIYaudio thread.  I’m curious to know what the problems were that he fixed, as I built mine with zero problems.  Ran perfectly the first time using FLOHMANN’s build guide for noobs, which was very well done, complete with detailed instructions, Mouser-loaded BOM!, build tips and gotchas.  If anybody is thinking about building an Aleph J, I highly recommend it.  https://diyalephj.blogspot.com

Edited by alanhuth

3 hours ago, alanhuth said:

Wow!  I have seen ZenMod.  He’s very active and knowledgeable, but I had no idea he actually built a new board.  I will go read up on the DIYaudio thread.  I’m curious to know what the problems were that he fixed, as I built mine with zero problems.  Ran perfectly the first time using FLOHMANN’s build guide for noobs, which was very well done, complete with detailed instructions, Mouser-loaded BOM!, build tips and gotchas.  If anybody is thinking about building an Aleph J, I highly recommend it.  https://diyalephj.blogspot.com

I hadn't seen that blog with the detailed build guide! That's very well done, and I'm sure it was really helpful! Echo the recommendation to anyone who wants to build one. Fantastic amp.. My next project is the Salas DCG3 pre/headphone amp.. Too much fun!

On 5/13/2021 at 8:51 AM, karlti said:

re there any side effects to expect, when i place the port centered between woofer & squawker, like in the picture below? 

Thanks in advance,
Karl

As long as it fits, it will be fine. Let us know how it sounds when done.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Claude I have a quick question, I just came into some pretty rough H1's with E networks and am intending to use the delta pro's, add the port and foam and adjust the crossover. This thread is a little overwhelming so just wanted to confirm the 2uF to the tweeter goes to 4uF and the taps change from 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 respectively with the resistor going up to 15ohm. Everything else staying the same (2.2mH inductor and 21uF cap). 

Other quick question, I would prefer to make new back covers for the sake of not drilling holes in the originals. I have 1" baltic birch handy and would like to avoid spending more money on more plywood for this project. If I did a half inch rabbet to inset the new back panel would this reduction in interior volume affect performance? Quick math looks like that half inch on the back panel would equate to around 2.5L of volume. If it will have a huge impact I could always just do a 1/2" chamfer and have the back panel proud to maintain the volume. 

• Like 1

While waiting around for various parts I decided to rebuild the crossovers of these H1's I just picked up. I had all of these parts handy which means I can resell the original E networks to someone that wants originals. Will also be nice and easy to throw some 2uF's in parallel when the woofers and ports arrive. Very happy with how these turned out even though they'll live in a box forever. 

p0hjWZs.jpg

@zeagan your crossovers look awesome…almost good enough to go outside the cabinet. It’s a nice excuse to get La Scalas or K horns…

Which network is yours based on?  (I assume the E, but better to ask than to guess wrong.). 

Do you have a component list?  

Which tweeter, squawker, and bass components are these intended for?

While waiting around for various parts I decided to rebuild the crossovers of these H1's I just picked up. I had all of these parts handy which means I can resell the original E networks to someone that wants originals. Will also be nice and easy to throw some 2uF's in parallel when the woofers and ports arrive. Very happy with how these turned out even though they'll live in a box forever. 
p0hjWZs.thumb.jpg.686b6ffe1db38b34b6ba4916c91e39a2.jpg

Why mount them back inside? Mount them pretty things on the outside, I’m going to do that and make some clear boxes for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Outrider 6 said:

@zeagan your crossovers look awesome…almost good enough to go outside the cabinet. It’s a nice excuse to get La Scalas or K horns…

Which network is yours based on?  (I assume the E, but better to ask than to guess wrong.). 

Do you have a component list?  

Which tweeter, squawker, and bass components are these intended for?

These are essentially straight up clones of the Type E until I get the mods for the super heresys sorted out. I had purchased some LaScalas a few years ago from a guy that had DIY versions of ALK universal crossovers, sold the LaScalas with the original AA's so have had a few hundred dollars of nice parts sitting in a box since and this was a great excuse to take them out and give them a purpose. These use the following:

the 3654 autoformer from Crites in place of the T2A

2.4mH 14awg air core inductor by Solen

a pair of 1uF 250V Solen film caps for the tweeter

and one 2.2uF Kimber film cap for the mid.

Had a pile of "anticables" a guy had included when I bought some speakers (it's just 12awg magnet wire really) and I cut some of that up to make the most ridiculously overkill jumpers on the board (which is just a 9" long piece of cherry)

Honestly I'm surprised at just how much these have cleared up the upper mids and highs compared to the stock ones, less sibilant, less harsh and just overall better. Also replaced the gasket between the k55v and the horn while I had it open, old one had seen better days. next up is lots of sanding :(

Wufv8cm.jpg

RHcqhey - Imgur.jpg

fdFjDwc - Imgur.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zeagan said:

Honestly I'm surprised at just how much these have cleared up the upper mids and highs compared to the stock ones,

you are using the Klipsch  lamp cord and the sound is great , I guess that settles it for not using expensive speaker wiring -

On 5/13/2021 at 8:51 AM, karlti said:

Hey Guys,

as i am in covid quarantene, i have started to mod my Heresy 1's. I ordered the Eminence Delta pro 12a which will come tomorrow, so i now want to cut out the holes for the ports. now i face a problem that i have no room to put the port in the lower part.

are there any side effects to expect, when i place the port centered between woofer & squawker, like in the picture below? 

Thanks in advance,
Karl

klipsch_port2.jpg

I would cut out the obstructive black mesh  for a clear passage in the port

2 hours ago, 001 said:

you are using the Klipsch  lamp cord and the sound is great , I guess that settles it for not using expensive speaker wiring -

I’ve never been one to believe in magic, copper is copper and considering each individual driver is rarely seeing more than a watt of power transmission lamp cord is bordering on overkill. 

shoot me a message with a reasonable (more than nothing, less than eBay insanity) offer and an address so I can see what it would cost to ship them out. 

On 7/7/2021 at 3:17 PM, zeagan said:

Don't change the E network. Just put them in the Super Heresy as is. You may prefer it because your Air Core choke on the woofer may gobble up some of the power.