Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

On 9/27/2021 at 10:34 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Oh, and another thing, the additional BASS response from the rear port is highly dependent on proximity to rear and side walls. Defined as "asymmetrical corner placement," if you will. I other words, you will be free to play with this until it sounds right to you with your favorite test music.

I’m trying to sort out bass port positioning between asymmetric corner placement and centered. I’m using a Kappalite woofer, rather than the deeper profile K-42, so there’s no issue with clearance between the woofer frame and the rear panel.

49 minutes ago, Outrider 6 said:

I’m trying to sort out bass port positioning between asymmetric corner placement and centered. I’m using a Kappalite woofer, rather than the deeper profile K-42, so there’s no issue with clearance between the woofer frame and the rear panel.

Centered may be slightly better for symmetry, but it really doesn't matter to the bass response.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 2:09 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

The type E network should be tried first before you do a B with reversed polarities on the mid and tweet horns. You may like this variation. My original was a modified E which turned into a B. The E already having the polarities reversed, so those who used a Cornwall B network had to do that manually.

I you already have B components, then don't forget to reverse the polarity to the horns is all I'm saying.

Report your success here.

If you are not successful, report it on another forum and blame someone else. LOL.

Claude, do the tweeter/lense combo you used here have a phase plug in there? is that even necessary? Thanks in advance. 

• 5 months later...

I have procured three (3) 1980 Heresy HIP's. Visually the drivers I see are k42, K55M & K77M. The previous owner said although they look rough, they work fine. The exterior is a bit rough to say the least, and I have not decided how I will refinish the exterior. One HIP will be a center channel for the basement home theater and the other two I am unsure about... use for rear home theater use or stand alone pair with sub for music. 

I ran an impedance curve on one of the HIP's and it is very similar to a Heresy 1 that has had the Super Heresy mod. This tells me the low end should be OK, but I want to revise the HIE crossovers to the ALK "universal" type. I prefer the universal to the Type A, AA, E and E2.

I'll take some pictures soon and upload them. 

Heresy HIP_Type HIE.jpg

HIP

Standard Heresy Port Mod_ALK.jpg

Heresy 1 with port mod

On 4/1/2022 at 11:00 AM, Curious_George said:

I ran an impedance curve on one of the HIP's and it is very similar to a Heresy 1 that has had the Super Heresy mod. This tells me the low end should be OK, but I want to revise the HIE crossovers to the ALK "universal" type. I prefer the universal to the Type A, AA, E and E2.

All you have to do is use a little bit of stuffing to absorb the midrange "bouncing around the box" and convert to an E Network to get real bass out of it, almost as good as a Super Heresy. Also add DaveA's sMAHLs. But you know all this aready!

6 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

All you have to do is use a little bit of stuffing to absorb the midrangange "bouncing around the box" and convert to an E Network to get real bass out of it, almost as good as a Super Heresy. Also add DaveA's sMAHLs. But you know all this aready!

I've never seen a K-42 in the flesh... it is impressive! Reminds me of some car audio woofers from the days of yore.

Talked with Parts Express yesterday as the Eminence Kappalites are out of stock. They said it could be multiple months before we actually see any as the Eminence brand is having trouble completing orders for distributors. Is there any other woofer recommendations with similar specifications 

5 hours ago, Bocc said:

Talked with Parts Express yesterday as the Eminence Kappalites are out of stock. They said it could be multiple months before we actually see any as the Eminence brand is having trouble completing orders for distributors. Is there any other woofer recommendations with similar specifications 

Celestion TF1225. I used this woofer and it is great in this mod too. Specs are spot on for the mod. 

I have procured three (3) 1980 Heresy HIP's. Visually the drivers I see are k42, K55M & K77M. The previous owner said although they look rough, they work fine. The exterior is a bit rough to say the least, and I have not decided how I will refinish the exterior. One HIP will be a center channel for the basement home theater and the other two I am unsure about... use for rear home theater use or stand alone pair with sub for music. 

Heresy HIP_Type HIE.jpg

HIP

Heresy 1 with port mod

Heresy HIP (1).jpg

Heresy HIP (2).jpg

Heresy HIP_Type HIE.jpg

HIP

Heresy 1 with port mod

Heresy HIP (3).jpg

Heresy HIP (4).jpg

5 hours ago, Bocc said:

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-PA310-8-12-Pro-Woofer-295-032

Just do a woofer swap with the added port and leave your E or E2 network alone, or just replace the capacitors. They are in stock. 

2 hours ago, Bocc said:

What are your thoughts on this woofer as a replacement to the eminence kappalite? 

https://www.parts-express.com/LaVoce-WAN123.00-12-Neodymium-Woofer-8-Ohm-293-719

Without simulation, I'd say it's a great candidate, at first glancing at the T/S parameters. A winner if you can get one.

On 4/2/2022 at 3:58 PM, Curious_George said:

Heresy HIP (3).jpg

Heresy HIP (4).jpg

I have effectively turned my Heresy HIP's into Claude's Super Heresy. All the driver appear to be in good shape. Date codes indicate a 1980 build. I know some will say the phenolic diaphragms of the tweeter and midrange probably need to be replaced, but they sound fine to me. I have not done any REW measurements yet, but will soon.

I stuffed each enclosure and cut the midrange to -6dB on the T2A. I left the tweeter wide open. After a short listening session. I deemed them to sound great. Impedance measurements confirm the HIP port tuning is exactly the same as the Super Heresy mod. 

If it has been so easy to modify an HIP into a nice listenable speaker, why does it get no respect as a HiFi speaker? From things I have read on this forum (which I always take lightly), the HIP is like a dawg with Leprosy. 

• Like 1

Never heard of any negative comments about the  klipsch HIP , and definitely not the K-42 EVM 12L equipped HIP's , these were very musical speakers with very expensive drivers  , the later version had an Eminence supplied K-42

Earlier version K-77 Alnico -K-55V-  k-42  EV EVM 12L , a guitar woofer

Heresy Industrial (Ported) - 2-Channel Home Audio - The Klipsch Audio  Community

Later versions , K55M -K55M by EV -K-42 Eminence

Klipsch Heresy   HIP  1979 1980

4 hours ago, Curious_George said:

I have effectively turned my Heresy HIP's into Claude's Super Heresy. All the driver appear to be in good shape. Date codes indicate a 1980 build. I know some will say the phenolic diaphragms of the tweeter and midrange probably need to be replaced, but they sound fine to me. I have not done any REW measurements yet, but will soon.

I stuffed each enclosure and cut the midrange to -6dB on the T2A. I left the tweeter wide open. After a short listening session. I deemed them to sound great. Impedance measurements confirm the HIP port tuning is exactly the same as the Super Heresy mod. 

If it has been so easy to modify an HIP into a nice listenable speaker, why does it get no respect as a HiFi speaker? From things I have read on this forum (which I always take lightly), the HIP is like a dawg with Leprosy. 

It's never been a dog with leprosy to me. They built it to play as loud as possible in the horn section while living with less sensitivity in the woofer section. Once you pad down the horns to match the woofer, you now have a Super HIP speaker with a front port instead of rear. Good move. I would have done the same thing. Except I would add an sMAHL tweeter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1