Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

On 1/12/2018 at 11:40 AM, TFR1 said:

@jimjimbo

@ClaudeJ1

After the "shock and awe"  my ears experienced listening to Khorns and La Scalas, who would have imagined such sound from the small Heresy package.

I am still amazed!

So was I when I first put in the test CD's I got from Klipsch in Hope. I could not believe my ears! So I guess I experienced the original "shock and awe," which when share with Jim Jimbo, resulted in an offer I couldn't refuse at the time. Plus I had 3 more to do anyhow. LOL.

3 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I followed your plans exactly and it turned out great!. No reason to change it I should sell the remaining KP-600 parts and use them to finance something else.

TY

Mark

Nothing to do now but crank them up, they can take it! Good idea on selling off parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone thought of going 2 way with the Super Heresy ? Have read many post´s about members going from 3 way to 2 way with Cornwalls / Cornscalas.

Perhaps something that should be looked into ? Could it be even done ? Claude, don´t get me wrong. Your mod has brought back the joy of music for me.

Looking forward to any ideas anyone can come up with.  Anyway I have ALK CSW X-overs , Eminence Delta Pro-12A , K-52H drivers with titanium diaphragms and the B&C Elpitrac DE120 tweeters. Perhaps pretty hard to beat, just looking for options that can ease the itch. The main reason perhaps,  looking to free up some spars part for a DIY project.

13 hours ago, mwhitwo3 said:

Has anyone thought of going 2 way with the Super Heresy ? Have read many post´s about members going from 3 way to 2 way with Cornwalls / Cornscalas.

Perhaps something that should be looked into ? Could it be even done ? Claude, don´t get me wrong. Your mod has brought back the joy of music for me.

Looking forward to any ideas anyone can come up with.  Anyway I have ALK CSW X-overs , Eminence Delta Pro-12A , K-52H drivers with titanium diaphragms and the B&C Elpitrac DE120 tweeters. Perhaps pretty hard to beat, just looking for options that can ease the itch. The main reason perhaps,  looking to free up some spars part for a DIY project.

Unless you put @ClaudeJ1 in your post, Claude might never see it to respond, but I think I can predict his answer. 

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:46 AM, DizRotus said:

Are the EV woofers in my newly acquired HIPs suitable for Supers?

I loved the midrange those woofers have to offer but I could not get any real bass out of them no matter what I did, at least in the HIP cabinets. Switched over to a rear ported Heresy cabinets may yield better results. As they are if you plan on running a sub or pair of subs you may just like what they have to offer. 

14 hours ago, mwhitwo3 said:

Has anyone thought of going 2 way with the Super Heresy ?

Klipsch has done this with the KI-262:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/ki-262

Crites made one called the CS-1, can't seem to access his website right now but found a pair that sold:

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649062781-klipschinspired_bob_crites_cs1_high_efficiency_horn_speakers/

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

I loved the midrange those woofers have to offer but I could not get any real bass out of them no matter what I did, at least in the HIP cabinets. Switched over to a rear ported Heresy cabinets may yield better results. As they are if you plan on running a sub or pair of subs you may just like what they have to offer. 

The benefit of a REAR port in my original Super Heresy's is they get a HUGE boost from being in 1,300 cubic foot ROOM and place within about a foot from a wall and/or corner. The bass I got from that was a welcome SURPRISE and I created measurements to support what my ears were telling me it simply could not be. I have always PROVEN my projects (Quarter Pie Bass horns, Super Heresy's, etc.) by Simulation first, then Listening and Measurements. Otherwise I simply do not post the results because they would be just another free internet (and almost worthless) opinion. So I'm not surprised if you did something different in a different size room and got less than stellar results. This is why I'm very SPECIFIC when I post things like this. I have no direct experience with a HIP cabinet, even though the port volume is similar to mine firing towards the front, and thus getting no wall or corner boost in the process.

19 hours ago, mwhitwo3 said:

If someone were to do my original modification, but leave the K77 tweeters in place, all of components would still be Klipsch Branded, and you could still call the end result a HERESY. I know I was pushing the envelope by adding a B&C 120 Super Tweeter, and the main reason I coined the term SUPER HERESY.

However, if one were to do as you suggest, you can’t really put the term Heresy in the name anymore because it would no longer be one by any stretch

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, mustang guy said:

Great work Claude! I have been away for a while and I am just now seeing this. I have a couple pairs of H1's I hardly ever use. Looks like it's project time!

Even though I did my originals with EV based Klipsch K42's, I think the new Eminence woofers are as good or better, since you can overpay for modern EVM 12L guitar speakers, or get the Eminence for less than half the price.........used stuff is always chancy since you don't know if it's re-coned and with whose parts.

ClaudeJ1 or jimjimbo, I found an old pair Heresy 1's, consecutive SN's, that have been around a long time, outside of speakers looks redeemable and all speakers do produce sound. The crossover is a C crossover. Maybe I skipped right over it in reading this thread, but its not clear to me what I must do to convert the C to the B or B2 crossover. Can someone provide the info, and if it matters, which conversion should it be, to the B or B2? Think I am clear on the other stuff. Guess I am also wondering if I should keep any part of the old C crossover or just buy a complete new B or B2 crossover from say Crites or whomever?

Also, I have a couple of Crites CT120 tweeters and a couple of Crites A-55G mid drivers that I bought for another purpose that I abandoned; should I use them? As I said, the existing ones appear to be working. If I use the Crites stuff do you recommend that I get a couple of Crites autoformers also for the crossovers so I can adjust the mid and tweeter loudness once the woofers are replaced?

If I stay with the existing tweeter and mid range, will I need the autoformer?

Thanks.

Bunch of questions there, I'll try first, I'm sure Claude will jump in at his convenience.  Answered within the quote below.  

2 minutes ago, ishwash said:

ClaudeJ1 or jimjimbo, I found an old pair Heresy 1's, consecutive SN's, that have been around a long time, outside of speakers looks redeemable and all speakers do produce sound. The crossover is a C crossover. Maybe I skipped right over it in reading this thread, but its not clear to me what I must do to convert the C to the B or B2 crossover. Can someone provide the info, and if it matters, which conversion should it be, to the B or B2?   (Jim)  B crossover schematic below.  Personally I would stick with the B.  Think I am clear on the other stuff. Guess I am also wondering if I should keep any part of the old C crossover or just buy a complete new B or B2 crossover from say Crites or whomever?  (Jim)  See below comments.

Also, I have a couple of Crites CT120 tweeters and a couple of Crites A-55G mid drivers that I bought for another purpose that I abandoned; should I use them? As I said, the existing ones appear to be working.   (Jim)  You can certainly use the existing parts if you like, but I'm sure you'll like the new Crites parts better.  If I use the Crites stuff do you recommend that I get a couple of Crites autoformers also for the crossovers so I can adjust the mid and tweeter loudness once the woofers are replaced?  (Jim)  If you want to use the CT120 and A55Gs, you don't have to get the Crites autoformers, but if you want to go that route, then you should probably just go ahead and buy new B crossovers from Bob.

If I stay with the existing tweeter and mid range, will I need the autoformer?  (Jim)  No, you don't require the new autoformer, you can stick with the existing T2A, and if you decide to make your own changes to the crossover, replace the caps)

Thanks.

CornwallTypeB.jpg

Very clear...thanks jimjimbo...I had messaged Claude yesterday, but I sort dribbled stuff into him, which can be a bit irritating on the receiving end of messages...smile...I hope he was just busy. I better message him again and tell him you answered my questions...and that he need not respond.