Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

1 hour ago, ishwash said:

wonderful home you have made for critters with all the fiberglass that was installed.

Just crank some Heavy Metal music once a day, with a 20 Watt input. That'll freak them out and keep them out.

26 minutes ago, ishwash said:

haha...for sure...

I used to do purple martins and of course starlings were great usurpers of their nest cavities. Led Zeppilin wouldn't drive those buggers away...

Starlings appreciate Led Zeppelin.  Try some ABBA or 1910 Fruitgum Company.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2014 at 12:37 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

For home use, I preferred a "B" Cornwall network, which drops the mid and tweet output down 3 db lower than the HIP and give a much better top to bottom balance. The curves in a real room, prove it along with my ears and test 

Is this still your choice?  How does Bob’s 3636 autformer fit in?

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Is this still your choice?  How does Bob’s 3636 autformer fit in?

You get a better Autoformer with 1 db resolution instead of 3 db like the Klipsch T2A. More voicing options that way.

I cannot find a nice pair of Heresy I to modify. Would like the real plywood cabinets, at 40 years old. But even later ones are expensive - 500.00.

Can get the Heresy iii for a little more than the Super Heresy total cost. I use subs, how much am I giving up going iii vs Super Heresy?

4 hours ago, Panelhead said:

I cannot find a nice pair of Heresy I to modify. Would like the real plywood cabinets, at 40 years old. But even later ones are expensive - 500.00.

Can get the Heresy iii for a little more than the Super Heresy total cost. I use subs, how much am I giving up going iii vs Super Heresy?

New Heresy's are $2,000 a pair plus tax and shipping. I don't understand why you think $500 is expensive.

If one had an old EV Interface EQ box then that might be interesting too.   I hope DJK's explanation of how to calculate the capacitor values for different peaking center frequencies is still around.  The box for the Interface B might be ballpark (?)   I guess a parametric EQ could to the job.

The old Cerwin Vega S1 was a 3-way assisted 6th order vented box.  I remember its EQ box hiss.  

ClaudeJ's Super Heresy should sound more refined.  That CV had a lapped midrange cone driver

- 6.5? , a spun aluminum Dhorm tweeter and a gas filled bag in hopes to make the box look larger to the woofer. 

here's a rough sim for Delta 12a - probably could be tuned better

DEacI8z.jpg

• Like 1

DJK really knew compression drivers, cone paper formulations, how to fix any amplifier,  - his use of a stepup transformer for piezo tweeters would be one thing to include along with a drawing of his 2nd and 3rd order (using only a SPST switch IIRC) highpass scheme "before" the transformer. , PPSL subwoofer,  Vented La Scala.

Here's a link for the Interface Equalizer schematic along with capacitor values for each model

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?attachments/ev-eq-step-down-schematic-pdf.831729/

7 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

New Heresy's are $2,000 a pair plus tax and shipping. I don't understand why you think $500 is expensive.

That is 500.00 plus shipping, then the parts to make them Super Heresys. I calculate around 1100.00 all in. I have checked Craig’s List, eBay and other options for a nice pair to start with. 

Found new iii for around 1500.00/pr delivered. New grills, woodwork, and risers. I hope to locate a pair of original  locally for 300.00. No such luck so far.

@Panelhead

I paid $500 for a pair of oiled Walnut Heresy I and decided they were too nice to modify.

Found a pair of birch Heresy I with blown woofers for $250. My total investment in the Super Heresy conversion was less than $600 including my original cabinet purchase. That was less than 5 months ago.

Not sure where you are, but you don't need to spend $1500.

Dig deeper. 

A bargain awaits those that persist.

Jerry

4 hours ago, Panelhead said:

That is 500.00 plus shipping, then the parts to make them Super Heresys. I calculate around 1100.00 all in. I have checked Craig’s List, eBay and other options for a nice pair to start with. 

Found new iii for around 1500.00/pr delivered. New grills, woodwork, and risers. I hope to locate a pair of original  locally for 300.00. No such luck so far.

I had close to 1,000 in my original pair, which is still worth it because of superior performance beyond "vanilla" Heresys. As the original "pioneer" in this area, I paid the price of discovery, research, and development, which you are getting for free.

Many people who spent the time and money to do it similarly (tweeter choice being the difference), agree that they kick major bootie and are worth it. The biggest expense for me, were the new Tweeters from ALK engineering, and you can live without those if you just replace diaphragms on K77's from Bob Crites. Plus, you can sell the K22's on Ebay and get at least $100 back if you choose.

8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

@karlson3 Dennis (djk) liked that EV box to EQ and maximize his La Scala bass reflex mod.  It would be great if his many useful contributions could be organized into a single thread so his contributions are not lost.

FYI, I noticed on the High Efficiency speaker Asylum that DJK passed away. He was the guy who taught us Klipscheads how to port LaScalas for better bass and supported my choice of Eminence woofers for Super Heresy mods. He shared his great knowledge openly with all of us and will be missed.

On 6/1/2018 at 3:50 AM, karlson3 said:

If one had an old EV Interface EQ box then that might be interesting too.   I hope DJK's explanation of how to calculate the capacitor values for different peaking center frequencies is still around.  The box for the Interface B might be ballpark (?)   I guess a parametric EQ could to the job.

The old Cerwin Vega S1 was a 3-way assisted 6th order vented box.  I remember its EQ box hiss.  

ClaudeJ's Super Heresy should sound more refined.  That CV had a lapped midrange cone driver

- 6.5? , a spun aluminum Dhorm tweeter and a gas filled bag in hopes to make the box look larger to the woofer. 

here's a rough sim for Delta 12a - probably could be tuned better

DEacI8z.jpg

I remember looking at 6th order alignments in the AES papers from Thiele. As you pointed out, this would require a different box tuning or, even a different driver to optimize along with an active circuit, which is far more complex. My simple mod was done with $5 ports and leftover mattress foam from a local supplier. I'd like to see someone else spend the time and money to research an even better performing solution than mine, which was purely in concert with room acoustics to pick up the low bass (and somewhat by accident, admittedly). The Heresy is one of the most enduring of the Klipsch Heritage designs for good reason.

I should point out that I did not publish my S.H. Mod. or my Quarter Pie Horn until AFTER I did measurements to prove it was working in actual rooms, which is a huge part of the equation beyond good simulations. So I would love to see others do the same.

That being said, I can see where one could squeeze even more BASS from that box using those techniques. Rock on!

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

. . . I should point out that I did not publish my S.H. Mod. or my Quarter Pie Horn until AFTER I did measurements to prove it was working in actual rooms, which is a huge part of the equation beyond good simulations. So I would love to see others do the same.

It makes sense, so it probably won’t happen.  I would like to see a photo attached to each alert.  Might as well wish for universal flossing and peace in the Middle East.

Hello Everyone! I’ve lurked for a while, so this is my first post here! Nice to see all the SE Michigan people! I’m from Lake Orion, right near Pontiac. Small world.

Anyway, I’ve acquired a nice set of Heresy Is. they are in great shape, and Im about to order the parts for the mod! Im gonna go with the eminence woofers, and Crites autoformers.

I love the Heritage line, just about done restoring the Cabinets on a set of Cornwall I’s. They were trashed, now they look gorgeous in Walnut! 

Now it’s obvious the Heresy lack in the low end, I knew this going in. They are still stellar speakers, however, I purchased them with this mod in mind. Got em for a price I couldn’t pass up. Now I’m hoping to get a good boost in the low end, my room isn’t too big. But I’m mostly ready for the wonderful midrange this should bring. 

Here’s my question....it’s about efficiency, I’m using these with a McIntosh MC240.(about 55 Watts a channel) So any increase in efficiency is welcomed! So if I read correctly...this increases the Heresy to about 99db, correct?

The combo of the Heresy and 240 is already laughably good. Those ole tubes just smooth the horns like no other I’ve heard. Magic midrange for days with a Denon dl-103!

Thanks to all that have chipped in on this thread over the years! Especially ClaudeJ1 for all his efforts! I’ll be sure to report back when I’m done!